IS THIS CAL MAG DEFICIENCY

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by KILLMENOW, Jun 20, 2020.

1. I`M USING ADVANCED NUTRIENTS 3 PART, IN FLOWER BUD IGNITOR, BUD CANDY, OVERDRIVE AND NIRVANA FEMINISED WHITE RHINO SEEDS.

I HAVE ALREADY DONE 6 GROWS NO PROBLEMS, LUSH HEALTHY PLANTS.

I FIRST STARTED OFF USING GREENHOUSE WHITE WIDOW SEEDS, BUT THE LEAVES WERE ALL TWISTED, SEE THROUGH LEAVES(no chlorophyll production) , AND BROWN SPOTS.

SO I SWITCHED TO WHITE RHINO, NO PROBLEMS, BUT NOW 2 PLANTS IN A ROW HAVE STARTED TO SHOW THE SAME THING, ONLY WITHOUT THE BROWN SPOTS.

THE COMPANY SAYS THEIR NUTRIENTS HAVE DIALED IN CAL MAG LEVELS, BUT OBVIOUSLY I KNOW THAT CERTAIN STRAINS WILL REQUIRE MORE.

THE LEAF STEMS ARE PURPLE AS WELL WHICH I`M SURE IS CAL MAG. I KNOW STRAINS LIKE WHITE RHINO CAN HAVE PURPLE STEMS, BUT THESE ARE SERIOUSLY DARK AND UNHEALTHY LOOKING, AND THE PLANT SMELLS OFF.

I HAVE JUST ORDERED ADVANCED NUTRIENTS CAL MAG, PLUS BUFFER SOLUTION TO CALIBRATE MY PH PEN, AND I ALREADY HAVE PH UP DOWN.

SHOULD I PH THE CAL MAG TO 5.9?, IS THAT THE BEST.

AND EVEN THOUGH THE CAL MAG IS NOT PART OF THEIR PH PERFECT LINE, COULD I GET AWAY WITH NOT PH`ING?, SOME PEOPLE I KNOW DONT PH IT AND IT WORKS.

I HAVE INCLUDED PICTURES, THE PROBLEM IS HARD TO SEE BECAUSE I`M USING A TERRIBLY OLD PHONE, AND THE DEFICIENCY IS VERY EARLY ON. SO I``VE INCLUDED SOME STOCK PICTURES OFF GOOGLE TO GIVE YOU A PROPER IDEA. THE LAST *THREE* PHOTOS ARE STOCK.

THE PLANTS JUST LOOK LIKE CRAP.

I`VE GOT A CRITICAL STRAIN GROWING WITH THE SAME NUTRIENTS WHICH IS PERFECTLY HEALTHY, AND A WHITE RHINO IN WEEK 4 OF FLOWER GROWING PERFECT.

PS, CAN I ALSO JUST CLONE A HEALTHY PLANT BEFORE FLOWER, AND JUST DO CUTTINGS?, WOULD THAT AVOID DEFICIENCIES BECAUSE IF THE MOTHER IS HEALTHY THEN CUTTINGS WILL BE HEALTHY?.

Attached Files:

2. I read through twice and don't think I saw any mention of your medium or the water you use?

3. #3 KILLMENOW, Jun 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    I grow in hydro and soil. The soil is just a basic tropic bat mix thats comes ph`d with lime stone.

The water is standard tap water that the advanced nutrients ph perfect.

It has nothing to do with water or the medium, its the same thing that`s happened multiple times in the past with lots of different mediums.

If it was the water i would have multiple plants with the same problems, but i just finished 6 with no problems.

I just started a new pack of white rhino seeds and the problem is now back with the first 2 plants, the 3rd plant which is a critical is lush green, perky, happy, and will have no problems guaranteed start to finish.

The advanced nutrients have everything in them, but on some forms people that are using the 3 part are still reporting the same things.

The levels of calcium and magnesium are obviously not high enough in these nutrients. I lost a whole pack of white widow seeds in the past due to cal mag. I just thought advanced nutrients would have completely eradicated this problem.

4. I`ve figured it out, no problems.

Advanced nutrients 3 part is NOT designed for hydro by itself as far as i`m aware without supplementation (cal mag).

Sensi is for hydro and would work every time, i`ve not tried it, but i`m sure it would.

Advanced nutrients 3 part even though its advertised for hydro, is a SOIL nutrient line as far as i can tell, NOT a hydro line by itself.

If anyone is thinking of using Advance nutrients 3 part without supplemention, make sure you ONLY do SOIL or COMPOST.

A good soil or compost will have calcium and magnesium in it.

The grows that i`ve done, the soil had calcium and magnesium in it, that`s why it worked and why the hydro is not working.

The 3 part does not have enough cal mag for hydro BE AWARE.

If you look at advanced nutrients site they say the 3 part is for hydro, but they dont actually officially say it.

The sensi is, and is advertised for it.

Some wrong advertising.

5. You might consider eliminating all those expensive additives and liquid nutes.
    I grow in coco and I use GH MaxiBloom from start to finish........a 2.2lb. bag for $17 lasts an entire grow with 4 plants.
    Good luck to you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. But you dont have to ph with advanced nutrients, so the money saved on a ph meter, EC meter, ph up / down, ph buffer solution, and the annoyance of having to ph every time is removed.

So that money can be can put into other nutrients.

I use tropic bat mix which is ph`d and contains the extra cal mag that the advanced nutrients are too low in.

I get 3 ounce per plant with the indicas, and 2 and a half ounce with the sativas.

And i`ve still not tried the big bloom and bud ignitor, which might advance it further.

The nutrients do cost more, but it removes a huge annoyance for me which is the ph`ing and EC which i have never done and dont want to.

All nutrients in my opinion should be ph perfect.

7. I've never owned a pH meter or a ppm meter.......I use the drops. And I only have to use pH down.
    I typically yield 6-7 oz. per plant......last grow was 19.5 oz. off of 3 plants with only a 23 day veg. And all I use is MaxiBloom.

Good luck to you.

• Like Like x 4
  8. What light / lights.

9. NextLight Mega....650w.
    I use a t5 for the first 3 weeks.
    Coco/Perlite.....2.5 gal. air pots.

10. I`m using 250w, so there`s the reason for the difference

Both nutrients if under the same conditions produce the same.

Sure ones cheaper, but advanced 3 part uses organic bases and coloring's.

11. I just never saw the need to pay big money for water, when I can get something simpler and cheaper that does the same job.

Happy growing.

• Like Like x 2
  12. I dont know shit about gardening, but in my opinion, anything that`s coming in a bag for as cheap as you`re saying it is, and does the whole grow, and is completely synthetic, cant be good.

If someone gave me something in a bag for that price, it`d be wary of the end quality product.

The quality i`ve heard from maxi bloom because its concentrated synthetic is supposedly harsh.

13. Whatever.
    I've been using it for nearly 25 years and it's never been harsh. Perhaps you have heard that from somebody that doesn't know what they're doing and over feed; or they don't know how to cure properly.

I don't want to turn this into a pissing match.......use whatever you like......I'm sure you're a great grower.

Good luck.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. there’s no such thing as a cal-mag def.
    The reason you think this is because of the nutrient companies. Most bottles are mainly water. The best grows can be done with less. Proper organics is just water, with the odd tea.
    Most bottled nutrients Are basically all the same shit just rebranded through the different nutrient lines. Ph’ing depends on your supply. As far as I know you can only avoid this with organics and good soil as long as the supply isn’t too far out of wack.
    Even if you did need to ph up/down, £15 would most likely last you years.

• Like Like x 1
  15. But you have the calibration liquid for the ph pen. A small bottle of that of which its use by date is normally a month after opening costs £10 on ebay. So if a grow went for 4 month, that`s £40, excluding the other stuff.

Here`s the story, its long.

I first started 2 years ago with a fertilized multipurpose compost and fox farm tiger bloom and big bloom for flowering. The compost had fertilizer in it so i didn't need anything for veg. I just put the flowering nutes in and for some magical reason it worked for flowering.

Then it all went to shit, the compost quality changed, i ended up going through about 10 different brands and soils, and 4 pack of seeds which all cost a shit load, and all my free bag seeds which i had 7 of, which i lost all of it over a 6 month period.

Then eventually i came across advanced nutrients through someone else, and later tropic bat mix which is ph`d.

The tropic bat mix has refined peat with cal mag, and added cal mag for up to 9 month.

I tried the advanced nutrients 3 part in hydro 4 times, doesn't work, constant cal mag deficiency.

I tried it in the soil, and it works every time BECAUSE the soil is loaded with cal mag.

The other problem in the past is that when i tried lots of good composts / soils organic or inorganic the ph was off every time and would either fry the seedling or not have enough in it to sustain it.

So then i started to look into how to alter the ph of a medium, but then realized there is no information or any real clear details on how to do that online. Plus i was worried that if i could correct it, it could change its ph through out a grow and i`d loose everything.

So eventually after almost 10 month and £500 spent on nothing but pain and misery, and ZERO help from anyone, i eventually fixed.it.

I once in the past went to the bother of getting a ph meter and ph up down for fox farm grow big, i calibrated the ph pen, ph`d the feed, put it in the soil / compost and the plants of all sizes died, because obvious there are changes going on in the medium.

So i thought fuck it. Not only having problems with ph but also the mediums ph. And the mediums are TERRIBLE in Britain, in america you can get happy frog ph`d, ocean forest ph`d here nothing basically but garbage crap.

So if someone ever wants to personally show me how to do this ph`ing shit, plus using another medium other than the tropic mix that i use, i`d love that. Cause i`ve tried EVERYTHING with no results until now.

16. If you're getting calmag problems this early and using tap water then your ph is off.
    I know the nutes are apparently ph perfect but it doesn't really count for much. Maybe works alright in soil but you gotta get lucky to get away with it in hydro.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. And that's exactly why I grow in coco mate.
    Feed nutes around 1ec /500ppm
    Ph6.
    Feed every day to run off.
    That's literally all there is to know about coco growing. If you do that you eliminate the possibility of almost anything at all ever going wrong.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. I am from Britain! We have bio bizz! You don’t need to ph with organics and bio bizz.
    My water is 8+ I never ph.

The ph drop kit is £5. 250ml of ph up/down is £2.95. phosphoric acid And potassium hydroxide do not have only a 1 month shelf life..
    Also there is plenty of information out their on how to alter the ph of your soil. An example would be sphagnum peat to lower and dolomite lime to raise. Also Dolomite lime is calcium& magnesium. But these things you shouldn’t even need to be doing..

it seems like you have made this hard for yourself. But it’s ok your here now, we’ll help! You can get the minimum bio bizz line need for less than £100.

19. The Advanced nutrients dont have enough cal mag in them as far as i`m aware. People who add the advanced cal mag never have problems as far as i`ve read.

I assume the sensi hypothetically or the connoisseur would work, assuming they have better levels of cal mag.

Advanced nutrients advertise them for hydro, but they dont really say they are, and they say 3 part nutrients are not really used for hydro, which is misleading.

The other ones i think would work without supplementation, i`ve not tried them though.

I dont use coco because i tried it in the past and just cannot work with it, its too stripped in nutrition, and way way to dry and needs constant watering every few hours unless thoroughly soaked.

20. #20 KILLMENOW, Jun 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    Bio bizz soil?, i tried them, all of them. The ph of the soils were horrendously off. One of them fried the seed even before the shell came off.

I cant be bothered with ph`ing because i could not get anything to work, and was burning though money.

Unless someone physically personally can show me what to do, then fine. But i tried everything and nothing would work.

The problem in this shit hole country and the lack of objective help, you`ve got to either sit and talk to a screen, or just buy stuff and try it.

I done it, and it cost me a lot.

bags after bags of composts and soils, nutrients everything and nothing would work.