Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Is this bud laced, or is this anxiety?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by stangs024, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Okay, so I have been on Zoloft, an antidepressant medication, for about 3 months now. A couple weeks ago, I stopped taking it cold turkey (obviously unaware of the repercussions), because I didn't feel I was benefiting from it. As a result, I had my first panic/anxiety attack a few days after stopping the medication. Since then I have restarted the medication as directed by my doctor and have had it back in my system now for about a week.

I'm 19 years old. I've been a regular, mostly everyday smoker since I was 16; I find it to be pretty therapeutic and relaxing. With marijuana being illegal, obviously whether I am in a calm state of mind and/or being in a safe place to smoke where I know I can't get caught, there's going to be anxiety and paranoia to some degree.

Now then... I recently got a strain of bud with quality that I can best describe as being somewhere in between "reggie" and "popcorn." (Trust me, I've smoke some of THE BEST, but this is what I can afford right now; hold your judgements please.) Anyways, the first time I smoked this particular strain was a day or two after I'd had my first anxiety attack (Heart rate being 150+ and difficulty breathing, etc.) and as I got about halfway through my first bowl, I noticed my heart was beating faster, somewhere around 120 BPM. *Side note: I always smell and eyeball the bud before I smoke it... who doesn't? But this "corn" seemed pretty different than the "corn" I usually get; it was not really dried out, kind of soggy to the touch, and it was dark, dark green... obviously not what anyone would consider good mary, but that's beside the point.* I just figured my heart would slow down as I exhaled and slow to a normal pace, but as I finished the bowl my heart was definitely racing even faster. I felt like my chest was closing in on itself, and I found it difficult to breathe unless I concentrated on controlling my breath, which is one of the best ways to conquer a panic/anxiety attack. I started to worry because all this had happened right after I smoked; started to think this bud seemed different for a reason... could this bud be laced? It's got to be laced there's no reason my heart should be beating this fast after smoking and I've never struggled to catch my breath like this after smoking. About 15 minutes after sparking, I was in my room and something started to happen. It was like I had tunnel vision, the outside of my vision was black (like I was looking down a dark tunnel), and I could only see what I was directly looking at. I felt as if I was about to pass out. Up until this point I'd convinced myself I was having another anxiety attack, but I'd never heard of this problem happening with my vision during an anxiety attack, so now I'm pretty much freaking out. I layed down and tried to control my breathing, watched a TV show to take my mind off the worries, and about 45 minutes later my HR began to slow down and breathing was slightly easier. A couple of hours later, my HR was basically back to normal, and the same goes for my breathing.

Since then, I've smoked this same bud a few more times (no more than 1 bowl at a time, fearing that if the bud IS laced, smoking more is probably not going to help anything). Every time I've had the same symptoms after smoking... HR skyrocketing, difficulty breathing, etc. but I have not had the vision problem happen since the first time I smoked this batch. Granted, every time I've smoked, in the back of my mind I'm thinking, "this bud could be laced." I try not to think about it, try to relax but it still crosses my mind.

After my first panic attack, I was prescribed alprazolam (Xanax). So after these symptoms started happening after smoking, I decided the next time I smoked I would take .5 mg alprazolam (Xanax) 30 min prior to smoking. If you know anything about Xanax, you know that it doesn't even take 30 minutes for it to start noticeably working in your system to relieve anxiety. So I did just that, figuring if these were anxiety attacks/episodes, I'd be able to smoke and be just fine after, like I used to be before the panic/anxiety attacks started. This is what has me mindboggled. After I smoked one bowl, my heart rate noticeably increased, but not as fast as the other times I'd smoked (without the alprazolam in my system). This worried me, because though a seemingly small dose, .5 mg of alprazolam is powerful enough to make a person's anxiety mild at most. This makes me think there is a definite possibility this bud is laced with something, I have no idea what. I mean if it were anxiety that was triggering the symptoms, that shouldn't happen with .5 mg of alprazolam in my system.

So I'm asking anyone who has any thoughts at all on this to PLEASE help me out; any input is very much appreciated as I am trying to figure out why this is happening to me. Is this bud laced? Or am I having panic attacks associated with the anxiety/paranoia I feel from smoking? I will say that nothing serious has happened so far after smoking as far as irregular heartbeat, or my breathing stopping, but I've only been smoking one bowl at a time because after my heart races and I have trouble breathing, I don't want to smoke any more than one bowl. I thought about maybe letting my friend smoke a bowl, and see if anything similar happened to him after, but I don't really want to put him through that... it's not fun. But on the other hand, that could be the answer to my question if I were to let somebody else smoke this bud and observe. I just really don't know what to do at this point. I like to smoke, but I'm hesitant in smoking now because of what's been happening. I've also thought maybe it could be a reaction to a fertilizer or chemical used to grow this certain strain.

If this bud is laced, with what? And how dangerous is it to continue smoking it? Should I be as cautious as I think I should be?
    If these are nothing more than anxiety attacks from the act of smoking, how can I keep this from happening, or how can I avoid these attacks?

Thank you for reading all of this if you did; I am concerned for my health and I would like the Grasscity community to help me out, in any way, if you could please.

By the way, I apologize if I did not post this in the right section. I am new to GC and this was the closest category I could think to ask my question in. Thanks again.

2. sounds like anxiety man. my advice: meditation. It's helped me a lot.

3. uh.. 0 posts? wtf's??????????? sorry for not helpin blade :l

4. howd he do 0 posts lol

5. No one can tell you 100% Accurately whether your bud was laced or not, but I can almost guarantee that it's not.

It's all in your head man. Everybody's heart rate increases a bit while smoking. Normally, it returns to normal after a short time. It happened to you every time you smoked before your panic attack, but you probably didn't notice, or it didn't bother you. After the panic attack, the sudden increased heart rate from smoking brought the memory of the panic attack to mind, and you made yourself get even more anxious by thinking you were having another one. Anxiety can cause a huge array of psychosomatic symptoms.

You've got nothing to worry about man. Just keep working on your anxiety.

6. did you start smoking this strain before or after they put you on Xanax and just my opinion Xanax is some of the worst shit you can take if it inst necessary i would stop taking it. I've known several people who have overdose on Xanax and related prescription opiates even when only taking it in the amounts prescribed by their doctor. but back to the bud. it could be the anxiety alone, the THC could be reacting with your medication, the bud could be laced, or finally THC normally increases your anxiety and when you changed your medication it simply exasperated the problem.

7. Hey i dont think its all in your head when i was in the military i smoked once and something like this happened to me... Ive been smokin for bout 16 years or so but i freaked out my heart was racing and shit... i think mine was more or less like oh shit i coulda just fucked my career... and the stuff that we were smoking wasnt swag but it wasnt quite reggie,and it rocked my world bro... shortly after i was prescribed xanax, and atarax.. i noticed that the xanax made me in the kind of eh whatever mood like weed, but i couldnt even keep my eyes opening... but i would SWEAT like crazy at night like i seriously thought i pissed the bed my blankets my sheets my pillows... so then i started smoking kush, etc and its been completely different... i think the strain has a lot of what kind of feelings we are gonna have. for instance og kush makes me giggly and tired... sour diesel makes me think and be more active... i take the atarax only when i can get anymore green and it helps me i think but it still knocks me the F out which sucks...

hope that helped

8. I don't think it's laced. You described a classic case of pot panic LOL!! The way you described the bud it sounds like you got ahold of some strong sativa. It's definitely not laced with PCP or anything, because the effects would be more profound. Try smoking less of it at once and see if that changes anything. I've smoked strong sativas when I was new to smoking and had full on hallucinations to go along with the panic attack, tunnel vision, hearing things,carpet growing, walls closing in, you name.

9. +100.

I went thru the exact same thing, on antidepressants, got panic attacks while smoking. Took years to get rid of the attacks. It truely is, all in your head, it sucks but just work at it! Itll get better.