Is this at all normal? Extra small plant at 15 days.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by latro, Jul 28, 2009.

1. I planted an ungerminated Lowryder #2 seed straight in the soil 15 days ago. It only took 3 days to sprout but it hasn't grown at a very rapid pace since. It's stayed really tiny. Here's what it looks like today.

I searched around looking at different pics and it seems everyone elses plants are much much bigger at 2 weeks old.

Attached Files:

2. Wouldn't it be safe to say that with that strain name, it's not going to be a 4 footer? PLUS, in my opinion, I think it's a great plant for 15 days man. Short and bushy, that's when you LST that baby out a bit and get some nice bud. Goodluck with your grow!

If you are going to get concerned with the height, I would invest in some ferts. I don't know what kind is best or what time you should start them. I'll leave it up to you to research. :p

3. I know it's not going to be a giant but even after looking at pics of others lowryders, mine seems micro-sized.

4. Could it be rootbound at 15 days in a party cup? I'm a hydro grower but at 15 days I have a lot more roots than will fit comfortably in a party cup with dirt too.

5. itsa runt
    there's always a runt
    but it looks healthy

6. 1) Looks alright for being @ 15 days, imo

2) A lot of lr's and crosses with it are "dwarfs". Some would be bigger, but most will be fairly small, especially being in a beer cup. I would've probably tried to start in 1-3 gallons and found the heaviest yeilding phenotype, But to each his own.

7. thats my only thought. it looks heathy but that cup is plum full of roots I bet.

8. It's rootbound dude 100%.

I just transplanted from identical cups as you're using. They were also around day 15-18. Transplanted because I noticed they were stunting looking droopy. Sure enough they were all rootbound to hell and back.

Transplant it'll take off like a rocket again.

9. hes right mane...i transplanted mine at 14 and now they took off...mine looked exaclty like urs at that time...just put them into 5 gals with some FFOF and mix it with perlite and ur golden....take a look at my journal below patna.....youll see the same problem.

10. Being so small, I would never imagined it might be rootbound... especially when I google around for pics and find others that are this size in a solo cup.

[​IMG]

I'm just worried about shocking mine to death when I transplant since it's still so small. But if it actually is rootbound, I guess that's what I need to do.

11. if its an option for you. cutting the bottom of the cup out and planting the whole thing wont really disturb the plants rootmass. But yeah believe it or not i get roots poking out the bottom of a 2.5gallon after 3-4 weeks. Roots grow very fast. my rule of thumb is 1 gallon of soil for every 1ft of verticle growth I expect.

12. my plants 18 days old and its 9 inches tall and almost 8 wide but then again its not a low rider and its in a 10 inch soil pot

13. Excellent rule of thumb. Another rule of thumb just to add- is 1 gallon of soil for each month of growth. That's a direct quote from the Jorge Cervantes Ultimate Grow DVD.

14. I just transplanted it and I think you all are right, it probably was rootbound. When I pulled it out of the cup, there were white roots exposed all over the dirt clump that looked like they had been crawling along the sides of the cup.

I guess I'll see how the plant looks in a day or two to find out if it survived or not and next grow, I'm definitely starting straight in the larger pot.

15. bad idea patna...dont start in a large pot...u want to do exactly wat u just did right now.

just watch, your plants will start to grow again

16. You can start in a large pot if you really want to but most gardeners start in smaller pots because they're easier to move around the grow environment, but it will make a tighter root ball. Just don't soak the whole pot per watering for young plants. Use common sense.

17. Why should you not use a big pot first? I always start my mothers in 5gal pots. transplanting is very stressful on plants. it can slow and even stunt growth.

18. Don't go crazy worrying about shock on a plant that small, just get a good innoculant like myco powder of some sort, and some superthrive or similar b1 preparation. If it's rootbound, you are at more risk of drying it out than shocking on transplant. I regularly transplant seedlings and just watch them carefully to make sure they don't shock.

19. It's been a week since transplant and it's definitely much bigger. At least twice the size, but it still seems like a really small plant for being 3 weeks old now.

Attached Files: