Is this an early sign of deficiency or ?????

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by 420Law, Feb 26, 2017.

1. IMG_0207.PNG This has the flash on IMG_0208.PNG I was just wondering if my plant is having any early signs of deficiency... this is my very first plant ever and I want to make sure she does well... I've done a lot of research and I was just wondering if this was an early sign of nitrogen or magnesium deficiency or if I'm just over reacting.... and if it is deficient can anyone give me some tips to help her out

2. She is exactly 10 days old for extra information

3. It could be getting rootbound. If you watered not too long ago and soil is still a bit moist, take the rootball out of the pot and check if you can see the roots circling around the pot. If so, you need to transplant. I'm on my first grow and ran into this issue. How high are the pots?

I had 4 inches high pots, and I was comparing my pictures with people growing in solo cups, which led me to believe that they we"re fine, but they weren't. I tried nutes because I thought it was a deficiency but only got nute burns out of it. Turns out they were asking for more room.

EDIT: First sign was the cotyledons yellowing faster than I expected them to, eventually spread to first and second set of leaves.

4. Omg thank you yu are a life saver I am using 4 inch cups I was thinking she might be getting root bound but I thought that couldn't possibly happen this early.... thank you so much this just saved my life

5. I decided to just say fk it and transfered her to her final home but I messed up the transplant a little bit after I took her out her pot and was putting her inside the hole I made in the soil some of the dirt fell off when I flipped her over. I just placed her in the whole since the dirt fell into it anyway and covered it up... I hope she ends up ok

Attached Files:

6. It was far too small and young to be rootbound in that cup. If it had been rootbound, there would have been no isue of the soil falling away while you were transplanting it.

Without the flash the plant looked perfectly fine. With the flash there's some discolouration, yes but you have to assess what the likelyhood of a problem is. There is a small chance that aliens came down in the night and fucked up your plant! There's a much greater chance that it's a deficiency, but even that is very small because of the circumstances you are in with a 10-day old plant in a cup of compost, there's no way there aren't enough ntes available. Most likely is you're worrying over nothing, it's growing too fast to properly green-up the leaves yet, and/or it's overwatered and not absorbing nutes properly.

The most common reasons for a young plant showing signs of distress or discolouration in a soil grow are
    • Overwatering - causes slow growing, limp-looking, thick leaves, yellowing, very very common
    • Chemical contact - even splashing the leaves with plain water can sometimes cause damage or discolouration under growlights
    • Nute burn: Soil - the starting soil is for mature plants not seedlings, so they get a little burnt early on because of all the nutes, signs of burn on the leaf tips, things clear up later
    • pH trouble - Common with overwatering, causes general signs of nute problems, pale/lime-green leaves, progresses to burning, crumpled leaves
    • Nute burn: Nutes - soil contains nutrients already, usually a lot, so feeding extra to young plants can cause everything above but particularly known for burning the leaf-tips
    • Light burn - having the lights too close (even LEDs!!!!) can cause discolouration and then burning
    As you can see none of these are actually nute deficiency, they are all caused by over-zealous gardeners. Probably you are keeping them too wet, but if that doesn't sound right then let us know. Also, maybe raise your LED light another few inches if they're less than 12-18 inches from the PLANT (not the pot) (also check your manufacturer recommendations).

The transplanted one looks like it survived. They are very tough plants. you could cut everything off except 1 growing tip and 1 decent root, and it would still grow as long as you haven't crushed the stem (but don't try this at home).

7. She'll be fine, just give her a few days and she'll bounce back.

8. alright thank you for the info it was really appreciated. Ima let her do her thing and grow out you guys are the best thank you

9. Based on what it looks like I think it might be a ph problem soo hopefully my ph meter comes soon... probably a ph problem with a little bit of over watering.... I'm going to let the soil dry up some and try and water less till my ph meter comes