Is This An Early Cal/mag Deficiency Or Is My Ph Too Low?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Dankaho1ic, May 27, 2013.

1. I cant really tell from researching but I'm guessing it is one of the two things from the title.

What type of medium; soil or hydro? SOIL
    What brand and type of soil? FFOF
    Indoors or outdoors? INDOORS
    What strain? BLUE MYSTIC
    How old are the plants? JUST STARTED FLOWERING
    What type of lights and how many watts? 400W HPS
    How far from the lights? ~8"-10"
    What is your watering frequency and source of water? RO WATER EVERY 5-6 DAYS
    What, how much and when was it fed? NPK? FOX FARM TRIO AND BLACKSTRAP MOLASSES
    What is the medium/runoff pH and PPM if in hydro? LAST TIME WATERED RUNOFF WAS 5.9-6.0
    What are the temps and humidity in the room? ~82 DEGREES / 30-50% HUMIDITY
    What size pots? 4 GALLON
    Any bugs? Look real close. NO BUGS
    Any other pertinent info?

052713-DEFICIENCY-01.jpg 052713-DEFICIENCY-02.jpg

2. At a ph of 5.9 nutrient uptake of P, Ca and Mg has virtually been removed... correct ph to 6.5 run-off. Then, nutes at 50% recommended dosage.

3. Thank you.

Thats what I was suspicious of.

I will do a mini flush next watering with adjusted plain ph water.

4. Cooperation, that what we need.   :gc_rocks:

5. I keep my res at 5.8 and have had awesome results without any signs of deficiencies. 

As long as you res is 5.5 to 6.5 you will do fine, who cares about run off. you should alway flush when you change your res anyway. But my res is at 5.7 to 6.1 I don't change a thing and if you go to the general hydroponis web site thats what they recommend.

You ether put too much nutes at some point or there getting too much water. If you are using a name brand  nutes then they have all you need. If you use ro water then add cal mag but thats it.
    Mmman. Too tell people they will have no P, Ca, or Mg at 5.9 is crazy.

6. #6 Dankaho1ic, May 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2013

Sorry dude, this is a soil grow, not hydro as the first post states.

7. #7 Jackson55, May 28, 2013
    I grow in soil half the time and although I set it a little higher 6.0 it still does'nt matter that much. I always flush the soil every two to three weeks when i use soil so there is no nut build up. Before i did this  they would start to should signs of nute burn in the second week of flowering so I do believe in flushing. but when i do flush I just use water and the water here is a very high ph 8.0. and I don't care one bit,  it doesn't mater. It's just ro water. It couldn't possible hurt anything.
    do you check the ph of your water before you water your lawn?

I use ph up since when i add fox farms nutes for soil it drops the ph to like 3.0. so i up it to 6.0 but it really does not have to be that close and it doesn't cause the diffecencies that are claimed in this site

8. Yeah the ph of the ro water I get from the grocery store is about 8.0.

I usually use half strength ff nutes every other water and ends up around 6.0

5.9 is pretty low and I haven't flushed yet, so I imagine that will be my best bet getting it back into an acceptable range.

mmman's advice did seem pretty good. From the research I did it looks to be a cal/mag deficiency and the blackstrap molasses should be keeping it at a good level unless its getting locked out. And nowhere have I read that 5.9 is an ok range for soil.

Next time I will do an earlier flush to try and prevent this.

9. #9 mmman, May 28, 2013

10. To whom it may concern:

You have a big mouth, a wide trap that overrides common decency, and demonstrates you a glittering gem of monumental ignorance. Anyone with one eye and half sense knows how important ph is to nutrient uptake and the lack thereof. You seem to favor consistently reverting to logical fallacies as your preferred style of argument, it only shows you have an immature philosophical method. We'll let the community decide this issue, less I get banned, cause let me say this, you don't want to get into a piss fight with a skunk, you'll lose every time. :mad: :devious:

11. This is a quote from the General hydroponics website.

"Organic compounds will cause the pH to fluctuate regularly and there is no need to manually adjust as you will be driving yourself crazy and the plants will be doing just fine. For more information on pH, please click here."

Tell it to General Hydro. You know most ph meters are +- .1 so when it says 6.3 it could be 6.2 or 6.4, and thats if its calibrated. People have been growing weed for years without ph meters.

6.3 may be best but you will not have problems if your ph is 5.5 to 6.5 It's something else. You guys focus on ph way way too much.

12. Yea the GH site is a dedicated MMJ cultivation forum... Wait the G in GH stands for general, as in most everything, not everything(find MMJ on the suggested dosage on the side, i'll give you a hint, it's not there). It's not a forum either.

Come on guy use your brain a bit.

Ps keeping your res at 5.8 is optimal nute uptake for hydro.