Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Is this alright? (cannabutter)

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by xsublimex, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Me and my boyfriend are making brownies. Is it alright that we used half a cup of butter spread, and five grams of weed for the brownies. We simmered the weed in the butter for five minutes, then we put it in the fridge for an hour or so. It isn't completely solid, but is it okay if we reheat it, strain it, then use it right away for the brownies? Thanks.

2. It will work. I always cook my herb until brown, you get more out of it that way.

3. don't do either of those things.

leave the cannabutter in the fridge for at least an hour longer, and don't cook your weed till brown because you'll only lose potency as you destroy the cannabinoids with too much heat.

4. sorry but youre wrong. If you keep the heat under a certain degree, but brown the cannabis, it works more.

Why do you think ABV bud, which is brown, still is used for edibles?

But you can keep undercooking it if you want to waste bud.

5. Above 220 F the cannabinoids start to break down. The more heat ya use, for longer, the less you'll end up with. Its about low and slow, the lower and slower the better.

I'm sorry my friend, but it is you who will proceed to waste your bud if you continue to overcook your edibles, not me.

6. At 220 the cannabinoids are leeching out of the herb into the butter. do you even know what you're talking about? If what you say was so, then ABV bud would be garbage.

Try it. Seriously. I've even done double extractions of the same bud, in two different oil solutions.

The more heat, you use, to a certain extent (before burning it, obviously), increases the extraction of the cannabinoids AND the decarboxylation of the THC-acid. this happens in oil or butter suspension.

Trust me, medium brown your edibles. You'll thank me.

7. #7 Brenjin, Oct 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2010
    stop being so sensitive. You make your butter your way i'll make mine my way.

by the way i'm not saying i don't cook my cannabutter, i'm saying i don't brown it.

Also, I decarboxylate my ground up cannabis in the oven before i add it to the butter, so that steps already done.

8. #8 Paleo Edibles, Oct 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2010
    Vaped brown bud is decarboxylated, and burnt further than you mentioned, but frying it still produces a high.

Whaddya know?

9. cannabutter can be used in a solid state or a liquid state it dont matter... but in the liquid state you'll have to stir it very well before you use it you can also melt the cannabutter and use it to coat your pan before use and I usually use 7 grams of weed in my brownies..

10. i never said it still wont get ya high, and i never mentioned vaped bud. I actually frequently use vaped bud. what are you trying to prove?

11. Alright... So, do I have this correct?

Once the butter is melted, I should put my stove on medium temp and cook the weed in the butter until it's brown?
    And then refrigerate for a few hours, melt/cook the weed again, and then cook with it?

12. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always simmer my trimmings with the butter for around 6 hours then strain out the trim and put the budder/water mixture in the freezer until the budder is hard enough to separate. 5 minutes seems like it would be ineffective?

13. vary easy READ hasmoufs step by step

14. WATER? there's no water involved just melt a couple sticks of butter in a pan throw some quality trimmings in and let it cook for about 5 mins and then just strain the trimmings out no need for the freezer or water

you can melt/refrigerate the butter as much as you want it wont effect the potency although it'll taste like shit if you do it too much and yes you can use the stove but the microwave works just as good except faster

15. Alright, awesome:)
    Thanks so much.