is this a scam?

Discussion in 'General' started by RisenFromAshes, Oct 30, 2012.

1. #1 RisenFromAshes, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2012
    I'm selling my galaxy s3 on Craigslist so I can buy the note 2 and this guy just texts me.. Read the screen shots. They are in order. Btw.. He offers $540 when I listed it for sale for $450. Wtf?

Screenshot_2012-10-29-21-13-56-1.png

ForumRunner_20121029_211744.png

ForumRunner_20121029_211752.png

ForumRunner_20121029_211800.png

ForumRunner_20121029_211849.png

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using GC Forum

2. he sounds sketchy, too eager.

and fucking annoying lol

3. He'd be paying you before he even gets the product, how would it be a scam? What's the worst that could happen? He doesn't pay you?? Oh well you still have the phone anyway.

4. I declare shenanigans. If it seems sketchy, it usually is.

Just read all the texts. He sounds like a fucking nut bag.

5. paypal is the a safe way to do make payments online. But who see's a price and says "Add some more money to that price and you got yourself a deal!!!"

- no one

good luck selling it :wave:

6. poor english and really pushy, so probably a scammer lol, maybe not tho. go with your gut

7. It's a SCAM! He will use a stolen credit card to pay you through paypal. The payment will be reversed by paypal once the credit card owner finds out the charge on his credit card.

Text him back and tell him this. "I will only ship the phone to the verified billing address on paypal."

Even if he agrees, this still can be a scam. Even if you ship the phone to the verified billing address, the guy can reroute the package while it's shipping.

I just don't see why someone would pay over the asking price. 99.9% it's a scam.

8. [quote name='"fluffykush"']It's a SCAM! He will use a stolen credit card to pay you through paypal. The payment will be reversed by paypal once the credit card owner finds out the charge on his credit card.

Text him back and tell him this. "I will only ship the phone to the verified billing address on paypal."

Even if he agrees, this still can be a scam. Even if you ship the phone to the verified billing address, the guy can reroute the package while it's shipping.

I just don't see why someone would pay over the asking price. 99.9% it's a scam.[/quote]

Wow... That's fucked up..

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using GC Forum

9. #10 Chrismittty, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2012
    FluffyKush is right, that shit is a scam, Id bet my socks on it.

Oh and I do a decent amount of online transactions...But that person would NOT get my phone...Id be red flagging them for spam and shit.

10. ive gotten those kinda text before from posting on craigslist...they are scams, no matter what they say dont believe them..only accept cash in person and nothing else...it even says on craigslist, beware of people asking for paypal or .

common sense should tell you that, if they wanted that, they could find it on ebay....now tell me why they would offer to pay you more, when they could get it online from ebay?...because they are a scammer

11. Sounds like a scam.

You will receive the funds first. But then when you mail the phone overseas, (more than likely mainland China where tracking packages is impossible) he will deny ever receiving the package and do a paypal chargeback. Buyers always win with paypal so he will end up with the phone and the money.

12. Yep common cl scam

13. yes that is a scam, especially when they add links visit blablabla.com

14. This!

15. read into it when you asked questions his responses were in terrible english yet when he initiates conversation it is in perfect english, almost as if he's using a script. also notice he doesnt say the cell or the phone but refers to it only once as exactly as you probably have it listed and in all other areas he refers to it as the item. I dont know what he is trying to do but guarenteed its a scam having something to do with paypal, maybe some way to pay and then pull the money back or even a way to show payment when payment hasn't been made.

Everything about that looks way to planned out and scripted. Im thinking they call 100's of craigslist people and run the scam just inserting there item into the first text and saying exactly the same type things..People are dumb contact enough of them and eventually you get to the stupid ones who are like damn extra money im on it. LOL

Good catch you passed the stupid test.