Is this a problem?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Charlie0824, May 15, 2016.

1. I'm wondering if these brown spots are something I should be concerned about, and if so, what I can do about it. This plant is about 2 weeks into veg and is getting 1/2 strength nutes on the Gen Hydro Flora series feeding schedule right now. It's planted in a coco and perlite mix. It was transplanted to its final pot yesterday and the spots showed up today.

Attached Files:

2. Looks pretty normal. I'd give it some time and see where it goes. Is it localized to one leaf? Sometimes I cut off leaves that look funny or have spots.

3. It's on two or three leaves, the biggest, oldest leaves.

4. You shouldn't be transplanting a 2 week old plant or giving it nutes. It's not even had time to develop a solid root system and become stabilized in that length of time much less need repotting. It's always best to leave them in the container they are in until they become slightly root bound. This is usually when the plant itself becomes larger than the container it's in (wider and taller). You've stressed the plant pretty good and these leaves where you are seeing discoloration are going to die off....most likely from nute burn. Fresh soil...I'm assuming Coco too although I've never used it personally, is going to have some nutes in it fresh out of the bag so there is absolutely no need to give a new plant anything other than properly pH'd water until it has had the opportunity to use up what is naturally in the soil. Nutes are plant food. If the soil has food in it, giving it more will just burn it. You need to put your plant under your lighting setup and leave it alone. It'll be quite awhile before it needs anything from you. Only when you can lift the container and it feels as if you just loaded it with fresh dry soil, do you give it more water. I mean let it get almost DEAD dry before you give it water again and when you do, make sure you've got it in the correct pH range for a soil grow...6.3 to 6.7. When you do water it, saturate the entire container making sure you get all around the edges...watering very slowly so your water doesn't just run through the soil. You'll only need to give it water the next couple of times depending on how fast it picks back up and starts growing again. I think you could up your knowledge base on the "how to" part of growing and tending these plants indoor if you go to the new grower threads on the forum and read the "Sticky's" there. Most new growers drown their plants because they didn't bother to read up on how to take care of them after you get one going. So the more you know, the better your grow will be.

5. Thanks for the reply Widow. I thought it was a bit early to transplant it as well, but it was solidly root bound in a container twice the size of a solo cup. She had roots coming out of the holes in the bottom and was bigger in diameter than the container. She's an indica dominant strain, so it's not very tall yet. I was having to water her daily. This is my first grow, so I am deficient in overall knowledge, but I spent weeks reading this forum and many websites on the specific grow method I chose. FYI: coco coir has no nutrients and light (1/8 or 1/4 strength) nutes are recommended very early. I've attached a pic from the day of transfer, which was exactly two weeks after she was planted the first time. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  6. This is her today. She's growing very healthy on 1/2 strength nutes so I'm obviously doing something right. Lol Why would you give me the proper reference range for a soil grow when I specifically stated I'm growing in coco? My feedings are all properly pH'd to 5.8-6.0. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hi charlie. I grow coco too. I av dun siol for over 6 yrs but totally different to coco . Coco has zero nutes .. like ya said. I ph mine to same as you too or at 5.6 to 5.7 on odd accassion to make sure cal and mag getting through ok. Up to yet i ant ad no spots due to mag deficievies so far.. i think u doin good . I do same and use a quater then half nutes at a mnth. I used canna range. A and b cannizyme and ryztonic etc.
    Ya did right to transplant as need cooco in pot to feed em !
    Anyway looking good.
    sometimes calmag may be needed wi coco. I ant used it yet as my water ppm high but use if get deficiency or lower ya ph once or trace a week to prevent it.
    Good luck xxx