Is this a ladybug?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by comet3289, May 23, 2016.

1. Hi forum..my first post, first time grow, one week from sprout. Watered thoroughly for 1st time yesterday (4 gallon pot) and just now noticed something jump out of one bucket into the other..it seems it was able to fly a bit but I caught it 'resting'? next to the stem. Was this a ladybug growing out of the soil? lol A bit hard to see in the pic..but it was the size of an ant, orange shell with what looks like a black dot or stripe. If it is..can this have grown out of my soil? There is no way it came in from a window! I never saw one in my place in 8 years lol.

Attached Files:

2. Not that I know of lol. I bought this bagged from Canadian tire (hardware store). Pro mix organic soil with 30% perlite and 15% worm castings. First time growing ANYTHING lol..so not sure if these things can grow from the soil lol, it was very small and couldn't fly with much strength. its why I was thinking a baby labybug?

3. looks like it, they eat other insects, i had a bonsai tree that had sum mites i put a ladybug on it and he hung around for while.

4. I've read that as well..but I didn't put this there..i never have anything flying around my place, so im quite sure this came out of the soil, especially since it was a 'baby'. If its a ladybug, great, but was just wondering how normal this is to have one appear from the soil. I just don't want some infestation one week into my first grow lol.

5. Bugs happen bro and if it is a lady bug, they are beneficial. You are bringing a garden inside your house, bugs will see it as a nice place to visit.

6. From what I've been reading, just because one grows something inside doesn't automatically mean that bugs will for sure find it and attack it. I have screens on my windows and patio door..i live 5 floors up and the plants aren't near any window or door. So because I saw this weird looking thing last night..and I never have any bugs in here whatsoever besides the odd spider in the fall, I wondered where it came from. You say they 'found' it, but how can they get in when they have no free space to wander in, its why im guessing this is a product of the soil. I don't think it was in the soil originally as its a bagged product and I bought it a month ago..plus the bug was a baby. We'll see if I see any more or others..then im gonna worry! lol.

7. #10 killset, May 23, 2016
    Last edited: May 23, 2016
    Where did I say bugs happen for sure?...I didn't. I said they happen. Lady bugs get into houses that don't have gardens. Houses with gardens are just making the perfect environment for them. Doesn't mean it will happen but it does happen a ladybug definetly isn't anything to stress over. Some add them on purpose. 1 is probably just passing through, there isn't a house they can't get into. Lady bugs aren't soil dwellers.

• Like Like x 1
  8. When u said 'bugs happen bro', is where I took it from. i guess its a coincidence then..8 years living here..i have never seen anything flying inside..let alone a lady bug!!! i guess they decided to come in the same week i grew a plant then lol. Either way it may not matter as i don't think they will make it much longer:)

9. Ladybugs are good they don't eat your plant they eat other bugs that eat your plant. If there's lady bugs you should check ur plants for pests

Stay high

• Like Like x 1
  10. if i knew for sure it was a ladybug..it wouldn6t have been an issue..the whole point is..i don't know what that bug was or how it can possibly get in to my place! Either way, its ok, seems the plant may die before bugs can takeover:)

11. I know what I said. I didn't say they always happen. It's a lady bug, no big deal where it came from.