is this a good light system? ADVICE please

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by onpoint55, Sep 25, 2012.

1. I am trying to gather info on a lighting system for a small closet grow with only one plant. I see some lights are expensive and I think I want to go with an HPS. Is this something that I could grow a good crop with?

SUN SYSTEM® 2 SWITCHABLE MH/HPS 400W 120V - MOGUL BASE (900504)

Sun System HPS 150 Grow Light

any advice is helpful

2. #2 Olde School, Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2012
    Don't know anything about the first link (bulb only) but the Sun System HPS 150 is a sweet little setup for one plant, as long as the plant canopy doesn't get too wide. I use mine as a "test plant" light. I once grew two plants with it a 2X2 ebb & flow hydro table & that was too much space for the light to cover. Thinking a 1X2 hydro table would be perfect, if I ever find one.
    Just try to keep your plant canopy to between 2 and 3 square feet, like 1' X 2', 1.5' X 1.5', or 1.5' x 2' or anything close.
    A curtain surrounding the plant will help a lot in containing / reflecting all the available light onto the plant. I'd recommend panda film or Orca grow film; or a newer product called Lightning-97 - similar material to what's used for grow tents. Tough as hell, fire retardant, drapable, & very reflective (97% according to propaganda).

You'll probably want to pick up four 23W cool white CFL's for your seedling-through-vegetative growth stage; the Sun System 150 has a HPS bulb ideally suited to bloomimg.

With the right strain you should be able to get like 3-4 ounces of bud from a grow.

Bestaluck to ya.

3. Thanks Olde School. i was thinking about using some kind of T5 lighting for my seedlings and veg but still doing a more research. I will take your advice. I am currently using two 90w LEDs in a hydrosytem. My plant has been growing for over three weeks and just doesnt seem to make as much progress as i have read that others have by that point.

Its funny my professor today in class made reference to that exact Alice and Wonderland quote. hmm...

4. #4 Olde School, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2012
    Funny, the professor must be a stoner:cool:

Here's some more info on T-5 & CFL lighting comparisons for veg or small grows, thought you might find it helpful. http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/1110693-can-i-vegetate-t5-48-watt.html#post15854682