is this a good career plan?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheCoolest420, May 15, 2013.

1. So i recently got a felony. Fresh out of jail.

Everyone has been telling me to get a job, go to school, do something legal.

So i know a guy who sells electronics cheap. I was thinking i could get around 2gs worth of stuff. And sell it online. Ill make 6000 off the first pickup alone.

I know the stuff will sell good. And its brand new stuff. Not defective or anything the dude who sells the stuff has been working at the store super long and is cool with the owner.

But everyone tells me its a bad idea. Does it sound like a get rich quick scheme?

I only plan to make like 10gs of profit by september. Not really a long term thing. But better than mcdonalds right? And i go to school. And do other stuff.

2. It's risky if you ask me. In the end, it depends on what items you are selling and how cheap you can get them. Are you using eBay or something?

3. There is a problem only if you cant sell the shit. then you are 2g's in the hole. Mcdonalds may not be the best job, but it IS something you can put on a resume someday. Even though its fast food it shows that you are dedicated to go to work everyday etc. which is all some people want to see before hiring a felon. Also at  some minimum wage places you can get health care (if you need it) You can always do both too, get a steady paycheck (even if its not too big) and sell the electronics on your free time. Then you dont have to worry about ending up screwed.

4. By "electronics cheap" do you mean "off of the back of a truck?"

5. The 2gs is less than half of what i have saved. So if i lose it i wont be too mad.

I know the stuff will sell. Its laptops. Digital cameras. Headphones. The dude runs the store so he buys the stuff at bulk prices. And then marks them up accordingly. I get a discount because im a good friend.

6. that's what it sounds like to me lol
    don't end up in prison again OP

I've been self-employed since 1985 and I hear a lot of stories. Most people think that it's easy, you just sit back and sign checks. Haha, hardly true. And people only see the money that comes in. That number is irrelevant until you subtract your expenses.

A negative about selling PCs, etc., is that it is extremely competitive. And your friend is probably going to sell you the stuff above his price, so you will have less wiggle-room than most of your competitors.

However, a lot of the really successful people (that would NOT include me) are the ones that took big risks. So, good luck!