is this a decent HPS setup??

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by kayakush, Dec 19, 2012.

1. so i ordered a HPS setup of ebay. they sold a lot of em... i got it at a good price i think. its 400 watts with a dimmable ballast. its made by iPower. can use MH or HPS. i went with HPS. let me know if its any good. thanks....i know its too late but i can return it.

[​IMG]

2. I've heard good things about ipower. These systems have been out long enough that most every manufacturer has it down pat. If it helps your reservations any... I went even cheaper then the ipower and have had 0 problems in the year it's been running.

3. Looks good, but depending on your grow area, you will likely regret not getting an aircooled hood. Even the 400 wattsrs crank out the heat, and the extra $50 spent on a hood will save you a lot of high temp headaches

4. The ballast may be good, but the reflector/hood sucks. It may not matter because 400W isn't as bad to keep cool as the bigger lights, but I'd always suggest a light with a cooltube.

5. i am planning on using the heat. my next grow is in an attic crawl space that is 8x12x8 and is unheated. i also ordered a tent

6. Kayakush, you'll be happy with the 400w, so your tent is going in the attic... what do you have for a fan and filter?

7. How do you plan on keeping it warm during lights out? Also hope u aren't planning on growwing in spring or summer up there.

8. i have a box fan and a small 6 inch fan. i dont have a filter. do i need one? i basically live alone in a big house and have had 3 grows with LED and cfl and i never ran into problems. my purple wreck was stinky but not bad. plus its in the attic where no one goes.

9. winter. i was told by a fellow blade to use a ceramic heater on a timer for every 30 min right outside the tent in another thread. plus the light. i want my own bud for 420....the summer i will go back to LED with fans

10. i think i m gonna stick with it.....ur option is cool but pricey...i m on a budget.

11. So what exactly does your attic look like? I'm trying to sketch out how this can work. Does it have a plywood floor? Or just rafters you have to balance on? How tall is your ceiling?

12. i already have with LED

13. #16 kayakush, Dec 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2012
    my attic is huge. the space i want have utilized in my past grows in behind the wall of the attic. there is a framed panel that can be opened into the space. it has plywood floors. 8 ft ceiling with rafters. two big ducts on each side. about
    an 6x8x8 area i can work with. it has two power outlets and a flourescent tube light fixture that has a switch as u enter. the roof slants on three sides but does not affect the growing area. ican heat the carpeted area of my attic with central heating but behind the wall it has no effect. its whatever it is outside, maybe a bit more. hope that helps

14. I got a cheap ballast on ebay and also had the cable company knocking in my door for rf interference..if you're not around a bunch of people it should be fine and the ferrite core 1/2 on amazon fits over the cable

15. i live where you cant see any houses from my house....its pretty wooded

16. Yea you should be good..i also have an airport across the street from me so they probably didnt like it much