Is this a bug problem (pics)?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by green89, Mar 20, 2010.

1. I have 1 easy ryder plant and 1 bagseed plant growing. The easy ryder looks OK but the bagseed plant has started to develop a few tiny pin holes with brown edges and on one of the leaves looks like it has been chewed on.

They are not in a grow box at the moment, they are just on the floor with 2 125w cfls and a big reflector, and a floor fan. I am either going to build a growbox or buy a tent within the next week or so.

What do you think?

The bagseed is 11 days old since sprouting and the easy ryder is 3 days old

Attached Files:

2. *Update* I think its spider mites. Only problem is, they are on a 24/0 light cycle as I havent got a grow box sorted out yet. I have read that you should only spray plants with miticide when they are on their dark period. Is this true?

Could I make a lightproof box with a vent and put the plant in there for 4 or 6 hours daily until I get a grow box?

I have also noticed the stem is slanting quite a bit. I have straightened it by pushing the soil up against it, but there is some sort of brown film on the stem as well, shown in the pic below. Is that normal?

Sorry for all the Q's. I'm new to all of this!

Attached Files:

3. #3 velanarris, Mar 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2010
    I think you had soil problems. Stressed out the plant, it developed stem rot and the bugs are just finishing it off.

Brown slime anywhere on your plants or in a hydrosystem is typically caused by pyrethia, or root rot/stem rot. Usually happens in densely packed soils or poorly aerated hydrosystems. What is your planting medium?

And if you want to kill of the spider mites you could raise or lower your RH. The problem here being, since you already have slime, your only option is to really dry out your grow room and that may kill the plant for good. First step, hygrozyme/superthrive/root excelurator treatment to deal with the slime, and either a foliar spray or mitrocide to address the mites (assuming they're there). Pyrethia can also cause rot across the entire plant. It's a systemic infection that will continue on down the line in cuttings, so it may not even be your fault if these plants came from clones and were poorly cared for.

4. look under the leaves if you see small wight balls like salt then its mites hard to tell there so small

5. I used miracle grow all-purpose compost. I know using mg products is generally frowned upon but I only planted that bagseed as an experiment. It seemed to be growing quite well so I planted the easy ryder in the same soil.

I will soon transplant it to a bigger pot. Is it OK to transplant it into a pot with different soil?

I don't think the brown stuff is slime. It is dry and looks like grey/brown ripped skin covering the lower stem.