Is there such thing as singing?

Discussion in 'General' started by Sublime, Oct 12, 2016.

1. I mean, what defines singing? why isn't it talking over a beat? Get what I'm saying? Perfect example: This is clearly just a guy talking over a beat. So how is "singing" any different? In a technical sense. Sure they change pitch but that's where it ends

2. Yes, there is :smoking:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Your talking voice is different from your singing voice, so I'm gonna go with yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  4. Melody makes a difference

• Like Like x 1
  5. #7 Kronik352, Oct 14, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    I CAN see where you are coming from....but there IS a difference in my opinion. Here is a little 6 or 7 page slide comparing the two: http://music.utsa.edu/pdfs/61_SpeakingvsSinging.pdf

What comes to my mind with this question is this: What makes running and walking different as running is just the walking motion sped up..................but there is a difference in that as well.......TO ME

Also, have an award winning singer "talk" you a song
    Have (for the most part) any "regular joe" off the street talk you a song....both pretty average as far as how it went right???

Now have each one SING that song and see if you can tell a difference.....I CAN!! haha

• Like Like x 2
  6. Singing means matching the pitches (or frequencies) of a melody with the tone of your voice.

Then again, there's way too many different styles of singing for one to apply a single definition to it. People have different tastes. There's bob dylan, there's heavy metal, there's opera, there's miley cyrus. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Well the difference between running and walking deals with your bodies physiology. You know, heart pressure spikes. Blood pumping through your system faster and harder. More oxygen being forced into your lungs. Alot of differences between the two there.

Sent from my XT1585 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  8. As can be said between talking and singing

• Like Like x 1