Is there such a thing as freewill?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by SuWu, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Why do I have to choose? You've issued a false dichotomy.

2. Sigh... and I thought you were special...

3. Sorry to have misled you, I'm not.

I mean I was kind of being obtuse by not playing along, but you've asked me to make a decision in which I know none of the variables, and have no reason to choose one side or another, or take any other action for that matter.

4. Well, I'm sorry to have put you through such stress. I was just hoping to go through the 'Free Will' idea through conversation.

It's OK if you don't choose either.

Standing still is also a choice.

5. See? So I obliged you anyway, even if not necessarily in the way you intended.

6. Yeah... you sure did... and thank you very much for that.

--

But I thought you were like, coming to my house to play, but not playing the game I wanted to play...

7. I will go ahead and answer the question and I believe that we do have freewill but not bcause we have choices means we can choose what we want.

Sometimes by not making a choice, we still are making a choice just like Continuum chose not to make a choice. Ha

8. I could care less now...

9. free will exists.

you have choices to make. directions to pursue. motivations to propel you. thoughts to conflict you. compulsions to submit to.

but in a certain respect, destiny is unavoidable. no matter how you choose to use your free will, it's gonna lead you where it leads you and it might not always be where you were trying to direct it.

but yes, free will exists.

10. I still see guys argue the truth. What does it matter what "you" think? Things are just the way they are. There is no supreme answer to this question; you guys seemingly ask futile questions. Which seem like the universe has to & can be figured out. It's not a problem to be solved guys.

It comes down to this. See for yourself. What do you "think".
    "As you think, so shall you become.”

If you wanna think you have free-will then ok. If you think everything is determined, ok. But things are gonna be the way they are happening as of Now.

You don't necessarily have to entertain such thought.

11. I'd rather have my hands tied by science than any influence/group morals.

12. S&P would kinda suck if people didn't argue the truth

13. He's right though. The way that you function, and the world functions, is as it IS. If I decide I don't have free will, that won't change anything. If I decide I have free will, it won't change anything.

These "obvious" truths are brushed off because they're so "obvious." Yet very few people legitimately realize them. Sure, you may "understand" intellectually that they're true, when you read about them. But true realization of some of these "simple" truths can have a profound effect. Most people aren't realizing some of the most obvious things.

14. "If I decide I don't have free will, that won't change anything. If I decide I have free will, it won't change anything."

"you can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mEzgc_ne60]YouTube - ‪Freewill Rush Lyrics‬‏[/ame]
    if you choose not to decide.......You still have made a choice"

15. i acknowledge this.

16. I'm actually a fan of determinism. I think our environment is extremely influential on our decision making, which it should be as we are a product of this environment. There is absolutely the ability to say Yes/No, I won't disagree with that. But your environment certainly influences on what you choose, because as I said our environment is our habitat, lulz.

17. Free will is a vehicle by which fate exists. The line between voluntary and involuntary action is an arbitrary line. Do you think, or do your thoughts happen on their own? Both, to say it is one or the other is incorrect.

Do you breath, or does life breathe you? Well, you could again look at it either way. We are doing life at the same time that life is happening to us. You cannot limit it to one thing or the other, because on the one hand it is obvious that the present moment is the necessary result of the entire past, and thus is happening the only way it can.

But on the other hand if I decide that I don't do anything, and that life happens entirely on its own, I will sit in this chair and nothing will happen on its own. Thus, we do things, and life happens to us.

Free will and fate are one in the same thing, as paradoxical and strange as that sounds.

18. #38 Continuum, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2011
    I understand what you're saying, but I could never have this mentality. Everything is open for debate, and everything should be debated. I don't believe there is any such thing as a futile question, if a satisfactory answer has not been found. If we only search for answers we think will be useful, we'll miss the accidental discoveries that are so important to not only science, but the human condition. Every question needs to be asked, sometimes even after it's been answered.

Edit: Also, how do you know it's not one or the other? Without asking the question, you can't ever know the answer, but you also can't ever know if there is an answer at all.

19. pretty much what i was getting at in my post on the last page.. just put it in different terms.

20. Indeed.