Is there any way in which DVD is perferable to Blu-ray?

Discussion in 'Television/Internet TV/VOD/DVD' started by NuclearGuru, Jul 20, 2010.

1. ^
    see title

2. i guess NO,
    Technology is changing pretty quickly and you should move with it.

3. no unless you like the wider selection or dont own an HDTV but a Blu ray player will still upconvert regular DVDs.

4. no. blu ray is the shit.

5. Uuh... Price?

That's all I can think of.

6. Dont have a blu ray player. I havent really watched anything in blu ray on a HDTV either.

I have the HDTV though lol.

7. you can get some blu rays for cheap. amazon.

8. i think blu ray is new technology you should have to upgrade it.

9. Much easier to rip DVDs.

10. Also DVDs will have a smaller file size if plan to rip.

11. Dog Soldiers Blu-ray looks like shit. I'd rather watch it on VHS than Blu-ray.

12. There's actually a lot of reasons why DVD's can be better. A film might only be released with a "director's cut" on blu, but the preferrable cut that all the fans love might only be available on a Special Edition DVD release. And not all titles are released with good transfers either, such as The Italian Job. One of the more disappointing blu-ray releases within the last few years was Dumb and Dumber. They didn't even include the theatrical cut (which everyone has loved since it came out in 1994) and the transfer was pretty bad (weak AQ and PQ). And some films just get a bare bones release, with no special features or anything. Sometimes the studios cheap out and don't cater to the fans with blu-ray releases.

So, technically the blu-ray release of any film should always be superior, but it's not always the case. I've seen some upconverted DVD's that looked almost as good as it's blu-ray counterpart, which is pretty sad.

13. i love blu rays compared to dvds. but i also have a kick ass 7.1 home theater setup.

14. Blue rays are great. I have 2 blue ray players. My ps3 and my sony vaio.

15. I love my Oppo BluRay Player. I've got the SE, NuForce edition so the 2ch analog section is maxed out for superior sound from CD's, SACD's etc. It compares favorably to any stand alone $1500+ CD transport, even beats several state of the art CD players from Krell, MarkLevinson and Cambridge Audio from just a few years ago. The picture quality from BRD and DVD is awesome too....including digital 7.1 Surround Sound from HDMI outputs although the straight 2ch analog outputs on the SE Model is the best for audio only.

16. There is one thing I will point out that some DVD's seem superior to BD. (Trust me im a BD die-hard fan but...) Some old school horror movies transfer terribly to BD. Old-school effects seem to be brought out in a very bad way almost cartoonish and do not give the same feel that Standard definition content provides. Although besides that BD is superior to DVD.

17. actually, I've had Blu Ray rips in MKV that are 700mb-ish. I convert them to mp4 and put them on my PS3 and through that the file size ends up around 900MB-ish

18. sometimes DVD is preferable to Blu-ray because some Blu-rays don't get the Blu-ray treatment, A lot of older movies turn out very grainy on Blu-ray to get that sharper quality but turn out to be annoying to look at, it all depends though. Blu-ray is great when it gets the proper treatment.

19. I don't buy blu-rays unless the movie is a very visual one. Like Dumb and Dumber.... why do I need to see it in Blu-ray? This isn't like VHS where if you don't upgrade you'll be left behind, DVD's are here to stay. It's like CD's and Mp3's, there's enough room for both and both have there advantages.

20. If I go around a buddies house with a DVD, I know for sure we'll be able to watch it. If I go with a blu-ray, he probably won't have something to play it on. (Though this is in the UK, Blu-ray might be way more popular in USA)