is there any point using my 3 600 watt hps lamps in a 7ft squared area?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by luciferhd2, Dec 25, 2009.

1. hey fellow weed lovers,and merry xmas!!
    this is my 1st eva post so be kind as title says im wondering if it would be worth all the cost of using my 3 6oo watt lamps in a 7ft squared grow box would i be able to get enough yeilds from say 10 jack herer clones and please any tips on maxamizing my yeilds with what ive got im doing it in coco and ive got all canna coconutes and the very costly boost accelerator sorry about the punctuation or lack of it and any help would be much appreciated my pockets hurt after xmas so im really glad ive got all my gear ready to go just waiting on my babies thanx again for helpfull info
    lucifer dadevil

2. my opinion is it would be more than needed and very warm but I have never tried that much light in that size of an area. 2 of the 600 watt lights would be just right but you still have to deal with excessive heat but it would be alot easier than 3 of them. I just started 25 seads a week ago from some stash seeds that I had. ( A huge red dragon plant that was 12 ft tall X with a kush clone breed outside 2 summers ago ) They are under 6 four foot floresents getting some roots for about another week and then I am going to switch to my new 600 watt metal halide for about 6 weeks than I will switch to my 600 watt HPS. This is my first grow in my new 4 1/2 X 4 1/2 area. I have two areas this size so eventually I will have the MH in one area and the HPS in the other. My rooms are still under construction but I couldnt wait to get some plants going. This site motivates me everyday to work in my grow room as I think it does alot of peeps. Good Luck on your grow it looks good so far!

3. 7 feet squared or 7 square feet? 7 feet squared is 49 square feet and you'd need the three 600's I think to cover that area (36 watts per sq. ft., 5500 lumens per sq. ft.). If you're talking 7 square feet, three 600 watters is just insane. :D

4. hey maverick,thanx 4the quick reply i think im going to go with just 2 then maybe introduce the 3rd sometime during flowering for an extra boost hopefully ill be rewarded with some dense buds,i dont think heat will be a problem bcos its in my basement and i live in an old stone building its freezing down there! the reason im only using a 7foot area is because thers damp coming through 1 wall and ther floor,my box is raised up and is totally dry but do you think the dampness outside the box will have any affect on my babies once my lights a running?your right about this site been a motivation as is the way helpfull people such as ur good self respond in such a positive way,this is my 2nd eva grow my 1st was going very well until the dreaded thing half way thru flower..botrytis i was heartbroken but lucky enough to spot it early i deciced to cull and save what i could before i lost the lot to rot it was my own greedy fault attemting 40 jack clones on my 1st try wasnt smart and i didnt space them out enough so air wasnt circulating i still managed 65 ounce 5 wk into flower so i can only imagine what results i could of got if they made full term ive down sized to ten this time in a sealed environment!! as ive heard its possable to get same results using bending and topping and as theres only ten they should get a much better light coverage of the whole plant..well i hope you didnt get bored with the long arse post any replys will be much appreciated and ive got a brand new digi cam so as soon as my guys ready with clones im uploading photos thanx again peepz

5. hey johnk, lol im abit thick its 7spuare feet!!
    2 much uuh? heat wont be a problem or owt but is it not worth it then will the buds not be that much bigger than if i used 2 600watters? thanx for help m8

6. #6 LBH, Dec 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2009
    I'd use 2 of the 600's and that Jack is excellent for a SOG grow. Depending on the pheno, they usually grow short-med with a real nice main cola and only a few secondary's. They stay within the perimeter of the pot,excellent for scrog if numbers isn't a problem. (see the Jacks in Sergio's grow)

I wouldn't do any lst or topping, I would just do less, like 15-20. this will give each a little more room, air, and attention. Let 'em rip.

7. if you can cool them in that area use em :D or like lbh says use 2 ....... and then use the third as a veg light in a different:smoking::smoking::smoking::smoking: room

8. Seven square feet? Like a little bigger than a 3 ft x 2 ft footprint? One 600w is way plenty for that space, if you can keep it cool.

9. He's right, 1,...I was thinking his space was 7' long,lol. No more Rumple Minz in the hot chocolate till I'm awake,lol

10. The OP's original wording on that was definitely unclear, until he clarified I could have gone either way on whether he meant 7 sq ft or 49 sq ft...

11. Cool,...back to the Rumple.... :D

12. sorry again i was never too good in maths at school..ive just been and measured my box its 7ft long by 6ft wide by 6ft high..after the help from you guys i think i might build a seperate smaller box and put one of my 600watt hps lamps in for a mother room cos im still waiting on my clones!! time to start doing it myself surely cant be that difficult so any advice guys on how many jack clones i can comfortably fit in my area using 2 6oowatters cheers guys/gals