Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Is there a way to tell a good oil/wax from a bad one

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Wonder bread, Jan 19, 2012.

1. As the title says, is there a way to find a good wax or oil just by looking at it? I ask beacuse there are so many and you can't just test them in the store.

So, what do? Am I just going to need to try each out?

2. Not use to these fourms, So uhh I guess Bump?

3. Hang on for better expertise than mine, but I seem to remember someone saying that a clear, honey amber color oil with no bubbles in it indicates a more refined, higher quality product. But I don't have my Hakko yet so I'm holding off on buying oil for the moment. When my Hakko arrives, then I'm going to check out some that's supposed to be incredible. It looks like honey, but it's a solid!

4. Didn't really want to quote the whole thing but ok... Thank you, I heard a friend talking about oils the way you did. I just hit it off a nail, like take the Wax and dip it in oil. YUM.

Hey, any way to reply to you without quoting you?

5. Yeah, just hit the reply button on the lower left.

6. There is one ultimate test. A well made product/extraction may have been made from a lesser grade of pot and thus could be inferior, potency wise, to something made from better pot, that doesn't look as good.

7. Your wax/oil should be amber to gold in color. Anything with a slight green tint to it has chlorophyll in it and other plant matter. This lowers the potency because plant matter is in there as well as thc. This goes for seeing if your wax was made/extracted correctly.

To see if high quality buds were used as opposed to schwag/trim...
    Dankness oil = the oil/wax should have all its terpenes still in tact and the smallest amount of oil should smell like a fresh full bag of dank.
    Trim oil = more of a "planty earthy" smell (like dirt, not kush) and not as strong.

Hope this helps!

8. Generally, golden/amber colored wax tends to be the highest quality. Brownish wax isn't as good.

9. This is true, unless you purge + whip it up to a more handyable(?) substance
    Some fire wax from cpa
    NUGGETRY Big Pics

10. [quote name='"HashSlasher11"']

This is true, unless you purge + whip it up to a more handyable(?) substance
    Some fire wax from cpa
    NUGGETRY Big Pics[/quote]

Whipping stops the purging process and traps butane, oxygen, and plant lipids in your extract. I assure you that your wax from CPA could be melted down and purged much more.

11. Whipping over a heated area under decarboxylation temperatures actually whips out the butane and puts it air, thats why you can handle it like putty.
    I will agree with you and say that the sticky oil is alot better but only because the oxygen in the wax decreases shelf-life of thc

12. With oil you want it to be light color as possible and sometimes almost like a soft moonlike state (thats the top notch stuff) but usually if the oil has been whipped properly, evaporating all the butane in the thc. If your oil is dark it likely still contains butane which is NO BUENO.

13. #13 Chief Tokem, Jan 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2012
    [quote name='"HashSlasher11"']Whipping over a heated area under decarboxylation temperatures actually whips out the butane and puts it air, thats why you can handle it like putty.
    I will agree with you and say that the sticky oil is alot better but only because the oxygen in the wax decreases shelf-life of thc[/quote]

Hahahaha says the man with a masters degree in organic chemistry :eek:

Check out this thread....

http://forum.grasscity.com/stash-jar/979872-wax-sap-tech.html

And maybe do a little bit of research before you go and try to sound intelligent.

THC decarbs at around 200 degrees celsius. Purging at such a high temperature would burn you oil, and would stop the purging process, most likely cooking tane into your extract.

Also butane boils and evaporates off at 1 degree celcius. I have no idea what the extra 199 degrees celsius (to reach "decarboxylation temperatures") is for.

I'm sure your oil loses most (if not all of) it's potency and taste when purging at such high temps. Why decarb it before you are going to smoke it anyways haha?

BTW I don't think dark vs light color is determined as much by purging technique as it is the maturity of your trichome heads. The deciding factor behind color is more likely milky vs amber trichomes.

Any whipped wax/budder most likely has some butane trapped in it. An oily or shatter like hash is the preferred constancy of a properly purged extract :smoke:

14. lol one time in band camp...but really once i made some goood wax and after a nice long day of toiling with it my bro gave me straight shit fer hours "it looks like earwax dude thats nasty" so i said fine i ain't sharing then i proceeded to get highly medicated and he was left to watch, it was a good day.