Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Obesity Is there a strain that helps?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by CapnSparklePants, Sep 3, 2018.

1. After looking around a bit, there are actually a few strains that increase energy and curb appetite. Bruce Banner being one of them, actually. As well as Cherry Pie.

2. How many of the 7mill grew their tobacco themselves?
    Or smoked it without the filter the big companies putting in every cigarette?
    Not to speak about the paper they use and the quality of tobacco they fill.
    There is no mention on the packages of the tobacco strain their using.

No offense, but if you getting your facts from WHO you can't suggest that i am living under a rock.

• Funny Funny x 1

3. Lol doesn't matter if you grew your own it's still cancer..

Are you honestly trying to say if you grow your own you won't get cancer from it??

You live in a fantasy world if you believe that lmao

4. Not every smoker will get cancer some people smoke till they die with no problems.. but the majority of people who smoke for life tend to die from cancer.

It's a known fact that smoking is bad for health hell I smoke tobacco myself & I know what it does lol

5. I know pre rolled cigarettes are filled with chemicals & other shit they give me hiccups if I smoke more then 4 lol

I can chain smoke ones I roll myself & never have an issue. I know it's still bad but Rolling tobacco isn't as bad as pre rolled cigarettes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. You think there is no difference between a plant grew for yourself and a plant which was grew to make profit?
    I never grew tobacco, but when i have tasted my first self grown weed i was immediately 100 percent sure that i will never buy weed for money in my life.At that point i had smoking weed for a decade or so.

• Funny Funny x 1

7. Are you comparing weed to tobacco?? The only thing that's similar is you can smoke the two..

I'm not going to reply again you think if you grow your own tobacco you won't get cancer..

8. I was referring to the huge quality difference, and honestly i can easily imagine that something other than the smoke f tobacco itself causing cancer, when smoking factory made cigarettes people smoke a lot of paper and who knows what else, since there are no rules or info about the content of a cigarette and every brand makes an own taste.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Smoking can boost your metabolism. If you replace a lot of what you eat especially drink plenty of water and all that good stuff make sure you’re getting enough fiber in you and do simple workouts just keep low caloric Meals and good proteins that are lean. I’d recommend looking up how to lose weight while smoking pot if anything there has to be a fitness channel or someone who smokes pot and works out regularly. I’d stay away from indicas and find a strain that helps you get motivated to do shit usually sativas will help you with that

10. I don't know of any strains that help with weight loss. I've seen studies on weed possibly boosting metabolism but those studies are convoluted. Plus smoking anything can increase estrogen production in the body (bad for metabolism, catastrophic actually). If you do use cannabis for weight loss I recommend consuming it, and keeping smoking to a minimum. Obesity is a metabolic issue, and metabolic issues normally arise through the individual's environment, though, certain genetics can also exacerbate the issues or make you more predisposed. Lack of active thyroid hormone (T3), estrogen dominance, and PUFA (polyunsaturated fatty acids) are the main contributors to metabolic dysfunction. Remove any soy and industrial seed oils (corn oil, canola oil, grapeseed oil, cottonseed oil, etc.) from your diet. This might be hard at first initially, depending on what you eat. Soy and seed oils are in A LOT of foods. Also sitting around all day will make your metabolism sluggish, even if you're otherwise healthy.

They've actually found in studies those that stand all day (in an office environment) burn over twice as much calories than those who sit all day. I wouldn't stay seated for more than 30 minutes at one time without standing up and walking around for at least a few minutes. Ideally though a 3-5 mile walk a few times a week plus resistance training will really rev up your metabolism (that is, provided, you remove the anti-thyroid substances from your diet). Eat a fair amount of protein, at least 100 grams a day. If you're highly active or weight lifting, much more. The crucial thing about protein is getting the right amino acid profile. If you have metabolic failure and suppressed thyroid function than huge amounts of muscle meats (i.e steak, hamburger, chicken breast, etc.) will just give you the wrong types of amino acids. They're high in l-tryptophan which promotes stress and cortisol release, which will keep your metabolic fire running on embers. Proteins that have better amino acids for suppressed thyroid are eggs, milk, cheese, bone broth, gelatin, potatoes, and well cooked leafy greens (kale, collards, spinach, etc.). Drinking the broth the greens make while cooking is good too. Milk is probably the best, considering it's lower in tryptophan and high in calcium. Calcium raises the metabolic rate.

If you happen to be lactose intolerant, than cooked greens like kale have decent amounts of calcium, plus despite a relatively low total protein count, their amino acid profile is really high quality. Bone broth, and gelatin, are excellent as well. The glycine in them is anti-stress, and will help off set bad proteins in muscle meats. Eating organ meats and shellfish a few times a week is beneficial too. Not only for protein but they're really dense in nutrients. Eating carbohydrates with your protein is important. Carbs prevent the release of cortisol and will help assimilate the proteins you consume. Carbs also replenish the liver's sugar supply which allows it to convert inactive thyroid hormone (T4) into active thyroid hormone (T3). Good sources of carbs are fresh fruits (tropical fruits are the best. Like oranges, guavas, pineapple, banana, etc.), orange juice, milk, raw honey, maple syrup, potatoes, and white rice (I would avoid all other grains). Even an occasional coke is fine, Mexican cokes are the best, they're made with sucrose instead of high fructose corn syrup.

The right types of dietary fats are important too. They should ideally be highly saturated, coconut oil is best. Coconut oil really turns up the heat on metabolic function. Besides coconut oil, other good sources are butter, whole milk, cheese, beef tallow, and lamb tallow. Small amounts of avocados and olive oil is fine. Avoid all the polyunsaturated fats, except the small amounts you consume in shellfish and other animal fats on a weekly basis. Saturated fats don't suppress thyroid hormone and they're anti-stress, anti-estrogen, and they help protect you from the polyunsaturated fats. You also need a small amount of them to help assimilate the fat soluble vitamins. If you're trying to lose weight go easy on dietary fat, the calories can add up quickly. If you're weight lifting or otherwise burning through a fair amount of calories everyday than I wouldn't worry about limiting them. In fact if your trying to pack on muscle keep the saturated consumption steady, it's important for testosterone production. Ready for the bad news, you won't see results instantly. It takes years and years of bad lifestyle habits to cause metabolic insufficiency, so don't expect a complete reversal in just a few months, or even a year. In regards to PUFA, your fat cells in your adipose tissue have a half life of around 4 years.

So it takes strict avoidance of polyunsaturated fats for 4 years before your fat cells begin to re-saturate themselves. Once this occurs though, metabolic efficiency will likely be restored. Unless T3 levels are still low, in which case you either need to up your carbohydrate intake or supplement thyroid hormone, maybe both. Governments have really fucked us by giving us massive amounts of PUFA in our diets. They're in all of our shelf foods at the grocery stores, restaurants use them to cook their foods in, and fast food uses them (usually in their partially hydrogenated form, makes them even worse). Eating a whole food diet is practically the only way to avoid them. In case you'd like to learn more about correcting metabolic insufficiency, or, perhaps I didn't explain it well enough, than check out Ray Peat's work on metabolism and nutrition.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Not a miracle weight loss I'm sure, but thc-v is reported to suppress appetite. It's found, I believe, in South African sativas, notably Durban Poison...

• Like Like x 1
  12. I find that smoking any strain and just eating 6 small meals instead of 3 big ones and then healthy snacks in between small.meals congrats on the weight loss! Keep up the hard work

• Like Like x 1
  13. PUFAs drive endocannabinoid production. through the eicosanoids and Arachidonic acid pathways... EFAs become PUFAs and then endocannabinoids... @ least all the biochemistry I am researching shows this

14. Strains high in thcv apparently make u not get the munchies.
    Which Cannabis Strains Have the Highest Levels of Tetrahydrocannabivarin (THCV)?
    I use Durban poison and Girl Scout cookies pretty frequently and neither of them make me hungry but then again I drink about a gallon of water a day.

15. Congrats on losing 50 lbs, not an easy thing to do. Finding a strain name that will help appetite suppression is maybe not the most direct route. Tbh, names are not specific enough because there is no universal system.

Instead, all you would need to do if you live in a legal state is find a high CBD strain. You can experiment with different THC/CBD ratios until you find what works. CBD is known to be an appetite suppressant.
    Can CBD Help you Lose Weight? | HuffPost

Terpenes interact with cannabinoids to change the overall effect on your system. Some of them like humulene are known appetite suppressants as well.
    Terpene Profile: Humulene - The Leaf Online
    You could go into a store and ask for a high CBD strain with high α-humulene or α-caryophyllene terpene levels. Your chances of finding something this way are probably higher than asking for specific strain name, which may not have the same genetic profile in different stores.

https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabi...ene-and-trans-nerolidol-what-are-the-benefits

16. a few mainstream links links
    Anandamide Revisited: How Cholesterol and Ceramides Control Receptor-Dependent and Receptor-Independent Signal Transmission Pathways of a Lipid Neurotransmitter
    Anandamide Revisited: How Cholesterol and Ceramides Control Receptor-Dependent and Receptor-Independent Signal Transmission Pathways of a Lipid Neurotransmitter

Targeted metabolomics shows plasticity in the evolution of signaling lipids and uncovers old and new endocannabinoids in the plant kingdom
    Targeted metabolomics shows plasticity in the evolution of signaling lipids and uncovers old and new endocannabinoids in the plant kingdom
    Resolving Inflammation by using Nutrition Therapy: Roles for Specialized Pro-Resolving Mediators
    Resolving Inflammation by using Nutrition Therapy: Roles for Specialized Pro-Resolving Mediators
    Pro-Resolving lipid mediators and Mechanisms in the resolution of acute inflammation
    Pro-Resolving lipid mediators and Mechanisms in the resolution of acute inflammation
    Modulation of the Oxidative Stress and Lipid Peroxidation by Endocannabinoids and Their Lipid Analogues
    Modulation of the Oxidative Stress and Lipid Peroxidation by Endocannabinoids and Their Lipid Analogues
    Fatty Acid-binding Proteins (FABPs) Are Intracellular Carriers for Δ9-Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and Cannabidiol (CBD)
    Fatty Acid-binding Proteins (FABPs) Are Intracellular Carriers for Δ9-Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and Cannabidiol (CBD)
    Metabolism of the Endocannabinoid Anandamide: Open Questions after 25 Years
    Metabolism of the Endocannabinoid Anandamide: Open Questions after 25 Years
    More cannabis specific articles

http://themodern.farm/studies/Omega-3 Deficiancy Abolish Endocannabinoid Function.pdf

probably the best one here, @ least for myself this one explains the most=
    https://www.sativaisticated.com/wp-...search-for-the-Endocannabinoid-System-ECS.pdf

and DDG search = HUFAs / PUFAs / bio-active lipids https://duckduckgo.com/?q=HUFAs+/+PUFAs+/+bio-active+lipids&t=ffcm&atb=v62-6__&ia=web

17. Those are pretty interesting. Though they seem to be focused on the endocannabinoid system, not really metabolism. I think if someone happens to be deficient in EFAs that might be a problem, however unless you're suffering from malnutrition and starvation I don't think this can technically happen. Some of the early research that was conducted to prove EFAs were essential fell through. Scientists, IMO, should be determining the threshold of toxicity instead of trying to prove they're essential. Since we know too much PUFA will cause metabolic dysfunction we know that there is such a thing as too much, we need to know more about how low we can actually take our PUFA intake. And if there even is such a thing as too low. Regardless, a great first step is to just eliminate the industrial seed oils from the diet. Even if someone didn't want to eat real low levels of PUFA, they could meet their daily requirements by just eating a handful of nuts or a piece of chicken with the skin on it. The vegetable oils and fish oils seem to be the major concern. Though anyone suffering from extreme metabolic problems would probably benefit by removing as much PUFA as possible. It helped me majorly. I get a small amount of PUFA from the eggs, beef, lamb, milk, and shellfish that I eat, but I would estimate it's probably only around 2% of my daily calories. Of course its important to keep in mind everyone is going to be individualized, what works for some may not work for others. But we get a lot of people that have been on other diets (keto, paleo, vegan, SAD diets, etc.) and haven't been able to correct their problems, or, maybe their diets helped them initially but things started to go downhill after a prolonged period (very common among keto and vegan diets). The physiological approach to nutrition seems to be the end of the road for a lot of people who actually give it a shot, instead of basing our approach off eliminating certain food groups we take the simple approach that anything which effects metabolism positively is good and everything that effects metabolism negatively is bad. I've personally done it for five years now, wouldn't dream of changing. A great first step is checking your body temperature with a thermometer. If you read lower than 36.7 degree celsius (or 98 degree fahrenheit) you're most likely are in a hypothyroid state. When I first started five years ago I measured in at around 94.8 degrees fahrenheit. Now I'm in the mid 97s on average, I'm still not quite there but it's because I've refused to take thyroid supplementation so far. I've been trying to correct it without supplementing thyroid hormone, some people may always need to take a T4 (thyroxine) supplement simply because their thyroids are under preforming (case in point with me, Ive had an enlarged thyroid most of my teens and early 20s.)

18. that may be so ( ive never found any) plus what does it for one person doesnt always work for some one else ,cannabis affects nearly every one different ,,,mac,,

19. all of that info is ALL about metabolism ( intracellular metabolism). we cannot talk about organisms without speaking of what metabolically drives the organism. the signalling in the cells that drive homeostasis ar ewhat my research is focused on... the bio-chemical metabolism of bio-active lipids in carbon based life forms

20. I think the biggest question is where the threshold of toxicity relies. We know when the PUFA intake gets too high people start to experience metabolic dysfunction, the beginning symptoms go largely unnoticed because they're so residual no one notices them. What we don't really know yet is if there's side affects from going too low, simply because "we" (we as a scientific community) are focused on proving these fats are needed in ample amounts. And also we haven't been able to definitively find the "essential" aspect of these fats, considering most studies trying to prove this were in reality a vitamin deficiency, not a EFA deficiency (like in the case with the Burr study in 1929, which is the study that most EFA propaganda is heavily relied on, even to this very day). So, the questions I want to know is, how much PUFA can a human consumer before it's anti-metabolic? How low is too low? And is it even possible to go too low? With the exception of malnutrition and starvation, the only possible way to get too little PUFA, in theory, is eating a specialized laboratory diet. If you eat a whole foods diet devoid of vegetable oils and fish oils, even devoid of nuts, seeds, chicken, pork, and other sources of PUFA, you still get plenty in your diet because of it's accumulative effects. The human body will always prefer glucose as it's primary energy source, if there's no glucose available, the body's second choice for a reliable energy source is saturated fats. If neither glucose or saturated fat is available, the body then resorts to burning proteins (in the form of gluconeogenesis) for energy.