Is there a soul?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by shwiftydank, Dec 7, 2015.

1. The idea of the soul is bound up with the idea of a future life and our belief in a continued existence after death. It's said to be the ultimate animating principle by which we think and feel, but isn't dependent on the body. Many infer its existence without scientific analysis or reflection. But does the soul even exist?

2. No real way of knowing, but based on science I say no. However when you take into consideration of other dimensions then I can see a small possibility.

3. What about astral projecting if you could do that, then does that basically proves there is a soul? I don't expect science to be the answer to every question, also for scientists to grasp this because of how complex the soul really is.

4. Yes. Why? How? Is it not only ever a personal truth? You can speak of whatever you wish though it's only ever a story taken at face value to someone else. Be your own judge, but don't judge while observing. Ahhhh contradiction!!!!!

5. Some, like myself, would say that astral projection is really just internal brain activity.

I don't think that scientists can't grasp the complexity of the idea of a soul.. just that you make it complex for yourself. I highly doubt that many people actually like the idea that all we are, our thoughts, our emotions, our dreams, our everything, is just the product of physical brain activity which is the product of the interaction of mindless atomic/subatomic particles. We all wish there was something more.. that existence will continue after we die.. but just because we want something doesn't mean it is.

You're right in not expecting science to have the answers.. science deals with our physical reality, while the soul resides in metaphysical belief. The only place you'll find the answer is internally.. just need to ask yourself "am I hoping I have a soul or not?".

6. I say the Soul is what we really are deep down... deeper than the body/brain... the mind, the Heart, our feelings and beliefs... our will and intention... all those intangible things science can't quite understand yet, and it doesn't have to, we already know these things to be more real than the tangible world.

This soul is the most real thing of all.. and at the very depth of this Soul is God... waiting with infinite Love.

IME

7. Sure. Our consciousness could be our soul. I don't think our soul lives on after death though.

8. i agree, for good and bad souls to exist there would have to be judgement plus who likes the idea of living eternally with 200,000 years of everyman who ever lived and your 1000+ ancestors. No space no room nothing to do, its a vain wishful concept

9. I don't know what differentiates soul from spirit or consciousness, if anything. But in my opinion, there is an aspect of us that transcends physical reality.

Maybe an experiment where someone would have to remote view something on mars and relay the information in less time than it would take light to travel to earth. That wouldn't necessarily mean we have a soul but it would suggest we are not spatially and temporally limited.

10. The soul is created and therefore part of god and I think that what makes our soul eternal. As of "space" I'm pretty sure wherever we go after this life it'll be able to have enough "space" @420tt.

11. A few mad scientists a while back wanted to know if they can measure the weight of a soul to prove it if existed or not and did experiments measuring dying patients before and after death and all of them lost 21grams of weight when they passed.

12. That's actually not true. The human body does lose weight upon death.. but it is a continuous process. Plus, in the original experiment.. they had a few people and the weights and time it took varied. That experiment is a good example though.. a good example of people twisting science to fit their belief.

13. I also herd that the mad scientist thing with the weighted souls was fake

14. 2015 and people still believe in souls...

-Yuri

15. I'm not so sure a "soul" has anything to do with "god".

I imagine your "soul" to be a collection of your intellect, emotional composition, and your conscious.

it's what makes me, me, and you, you.

16. Couldn't you just call that your brain?

17. I am not sure...

18. To me a soul is like the animating part of us. The body is like a husk or shell. We should maintain this housing in order to protect the spirit for our prescribed time, and out of respect and gratitude for the opportunity to not only experience, but benefit life.

This animation, or energy, or life force, spirit, soul, is life and energy. As such, in pure form it will not be destroyed but gathered up with like kind. Of course the idea that one might be able to witness this on any cognitive level or resemblance of life in this plane after physical death is vain.

Peace

Faith in selfless Unity for Good.

19. There is indeed energy in our bodies. The brain is the forerunner of all thoughts and actions including energy. No need to explain with poetic wordplay to make everything seem special. Its all about the brain, nothing more.