Is there a silent Carbon filter-fan ?

Discussion in 'Security' started by ScriabinAnime, Feb 3, 2013.

1. So far, the best I could find online is the "panasonic whisper", but it is only a fan alone, and I would have to do some engineering to attach it to a seperate carbon filter.

Is there a single carbon filter/fan combo that is extremely quiet? The power of the fan matters little: I am only going to filter for one plant.

Basically, if someone ACTUALLY enters my attic, I don't want them to hear an unfamiliar fan sound.

The grow setup would be behind the christmas tree in the back of this room.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_w_I7I6sv8]ZOOM0018.MOV - YouTube[/ame]

EDIT: bonus question: Is there a grow tent with a BOTTOM compartment, so that the tent could cover the TOP of the pot and up, instead of containing the pot?

2. That fan with insulated ducting should be pretty silent. Usually the most sound comes from where the air enters and exits the ventilation system (i.e. the ends of your ducting).
    Assuming your carbon filter is in the room, it should diffuse most of the sound created by the air getting sucked into the ducting.

If you are exhausting your air into the attic, there will be some sound up there and you will also be able to feel the air blowing. You can try some kind of diffuser at the exhaust end(like the kind they sell for driers) to disperse the sound as well as the air blowing.

3. well the attic has cracks throughout directly connecting outside, not only would a draft current exist between the fan and outside, but an oblivious bystander in the attic may assume it's a natural draft anyway

4. Ive never grown myself, but ive been reading up on it alot for the last month or so, and its my understanding that you probably wouldnt need ventilation and carbon scrubbers for just one plant.

But theres a big difference in odor from strain to strain, so im sure some strains would be an exception. Sour D reeks, so id avoid anything with 'sour' or 'diezel' in the name for sure if smell is a concern.

Also, Northern Lights (indica dom), C99 (sativa dom), Master Kush, and a few others are reputed to be low odor strains.

Ive seen alot of suggestions to use a product called 'ona'. Apparently it comes in liquid & solid form and absorbs odors well.

Ozone generators are supposed to work too, but im sure thats not good for the plants or the environment.

Perhaps Ozium spray and Ona would suffice for a single plant?

As a reminder, this is just stuff ive read in various forums. No experience here.

Good luck

5. Thank you very much. I think I've decided not to go with venting/carbons :)

6. No problem, and for the record i myself *do* intend to build a small DIY carbon 'recirculator' for my 1st grow and aim it at whatever CFL abomination i end up using for lighting as a way to control temp & odor inside of a closet, but i was planning on doing 4-6 plants, so i anticipate having some odor problems.

And im being totally serious when i say that i really have no experience. For all i know 1 Northern Lights could smell up a whole room even though people claim its low odor