Is there a good and effective way to rehydrate buds?

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Jgutta420, Jan 19, 2023.

1. So I hung my buds to dry inside my tent (lights off of course) until the outside was kind of crunchy but when I squeezed them they bounced back…roughly 6 days. Temp around 70 and humidity around 55%. For the first 2 days humidity was around 47% so I bought a humidifier to bring it up as I read that’d cause it dry too fast. Also stems did not snap but rather bent so they weren’t dried out. They’ve been in jars for around 12 hours now and the humidity is at around 48% in most of them with one or two at around 54%. I’ve read countless articles and forums and according to my research they should have been around 70% when I put them in and slowly burp them down to 62%.

I wet trimmed so last night after taking them down from hanging I did a little manicuring to get more of the sugar leaves off and tidy them up a bit and they are still definitely sticky as hell and smell good. No hay smell as of yet. My hands and scissors were a mess and needed a good alcohol bath. So what can I do to bring the humidity back up because I’ve read some conflicting things. Some say once under 55% rh the cure is over and cut my losses and make hash or something. Others say use a humidity pack or put fruit or tortilla inside jar. What’s you guys opinions. Could I possibly take the buds out & spray the inside of the jar and put them back? Don’t want my first ever harvest to be a bust. I also read that if they were still wet you’d see the hygrometer rise by about 1% per hr but it has actually went down. It was reading around 55% before I put it into the jar. Please advise. Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Once the moisture is lost, there is no bringing the quality back. You can bring the moisture back up, but it won't be the same.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Damn. That’s what I was afraid to hear. I thought I did everything right. Oh well…live & learn. So I may as well not even burp the jars huh?

4. the good news is that it'll still get you highhhhhhhhhhh

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Sorry I can't agree with the above post. There's been a few times I accidentally over dried my weed during hanging. I jarred it up and it was as low as yours.

What I do is I'll buy the boveda 62% humidity packs. Put one in a jar until it gets back up to about 62%. Remove the humidity pack, then burp the jars as normal during the curing process. I prefer my humidity around 55-58% as I personally feel 62% is just to moist for storing weed for the long term.

But yeah doing this I've never had an issue with the quality of my bud being ruined by over drying. Just gotta bring it back and treat it right with the burping process as normal. It'll be fine.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. Learn to keep the humidity in your drying area at 60-70%. Then you can not accidentally overdry.

7. So I should just buy the humidity packs and drop them in until it comes up to 62 and THEN burp? Don’t open until it hits the 62? Just making sure I 100% understand ya.

8. And see that’s what I meant in my original post about conflicting info. I read that anything over 60% was a recipe for mold which is why I kept it around 55% as that was the sweet spot from my understanding. Maybe next time I’ll try to keep it closer to 60%.

9. Hang until the popcorn firms up
    [​IMG]
    Strip
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Buds out for the day
    [​IMG]
    Stacked in a sealed container at night
    [​IMG]
    62% Boveda Large 60 gram pack in each jar.

Super dry here and hanging even a few hours to long and it is ruined. I have to watch the external humidity close and use the cans to slow the dry.
    You want to be at 65% at the end of 7 to 10 days.

• Like Like x 1
  10. 62% is the sweet spot to cure but to wet to smoke straight from the jar. This is why some use the 58% as it is smokable right from the Jar. Yes below 55% it won't cure.

• Like Like x 1
  11. It depends where you live. In a drier environment 60-70% when drying would be fine. But If you dry your bud in a more humid environment 60-70 is definitely asking for mold.

Yes put the packs in your jars, bring it back to 62. Start burping them until they steady out between 55-58. I aim more for around 58 than the lower % as brass has stated below 55 the bud won't cure correctly.

12. Yeah youll read a lot of things. The big thing with mold is to make sure your environment doesnt allow it to start during the end of your grow. Keep your humidity under 50%; lights off is usually when humidity spikes, if im at 35-40% lights on, i expect 45-50% lights off. And lots of air movement. Plants absorb water through roots and expel it through leaves/buds. This means they are always "wet" to some extent. The drier your environment while growing, the better.

Keep in mind these charts are for surfaces/things that are already dry, not wet plant matter. I usually leave my plants hanging for 4-6 weeks and they are essentially "cured" by the time i trim.

mold vs rh.JPG

Outdoor weed is where most people run into mold issues. Most places are wet and cold the last few weeks before harvest. This is a great environment for mold to take root. Then you harvest and bring it inside into a warmer spot. Now you are incubating the mold, a recipe for disaster.

• Like Like x 1
  13. What are you talking about my guy? 60-70% is 60-70%. Doesnt matter if your in the arctic, on the equator, or on the fucking moon. For me its currently 7 degrees outside, 5 feet of snow on the ground, and who knows or even cares what the humidity level is. If my drying area is 60-70% rh, my drying area is 60-70% rh. Thats all there is to it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Ok Imma order them now and keep my fingers crossed. Thanks a bunch! And it is pretty dry here. The humidity in my basement is between 37 & 43%. That’s why I had to buy a humidifier to bring it up to 55%. They hung for like 2 days south of 50% and that quick probably ruined them. I guess the saving grace here is they don’t smell like hay, they’re not crunchy and falling apart, they’re still spongy and sticky and smell great. So I think there’s still some moisture. Who knows, while waiting on the humidity packs maybe the humidity will go up a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Humidity meters are also notoriously inaccurate. Put your meter in a jar with only a 62% pack in it and wait a few days and see how far from 62% the meter reads.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Don't ask me I just know anytime it's been wet, cold and humid outdoors if I try and keep my humidity inside my drying room at 60-70 I've always fought issues with mold, especially when adding a humidifier to the mix to keep it at that level, it made it even worse. When it's warmer and drier outside and I keep humidity up at 60-70 it doesn't seem to have the same effect. I don't know the science or whatever I just know what I've experienced personally, that's all.

I do know this last grow my humidity in my drying room was usually averaging 55 throughout the entire dry and my weed came out excellent, some of my best to date. Why there is no one way of anything when it comes to growing cannabis, everyone has their own ways of doing things. What works for me, might not work for others, visa versa.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Yeah that just sounds like coincidence to me.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Lol okay

19. Seriously man, what in the possible fuck would outdoor conditions have to do with a controlled environment?

20. I hear your point....maybe he doesn't have control of his environment?

I understand that's essentially the point but if I think to my basement....I can't control it fully during the winter months when it's super dry down there...or during the summer months when it's super humid down there.... I can climate control a basic 5x5 room but not my entire basement (within reason)....