Is there a difference between hydro systems?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by limpy L, Oct 26, 2015.

1. I have 3 grows under me which makes me a complete idiot. I have been using fox farm soils. I have not been able to get my soul over 5.2-5.5 ph no matter what I do, lime, ph up, flushing ect so I'm giving up on it.

I'm looking to get a hydro system but the more I read/learn I'm starting to think there is really no huge difference between them.. They all use or should use air stones some draw water others fill from the top fill from the bottom ect..

I have googled and tried to find the pros and cons but have not been able to compare all the different kinds so I am here asking..

I've looked at the bubble flow, the ebb flow, the "new" one by cch2o where it draws the water through and returns it to the tank.. But at the end of the day no one seems better or worse than any other(outside of aeroponics) which I have not researched much..

So my question is.. Is there a difference or is it more personal preference?

Thanks!

2. Check out my grow thread using my highly refined (but simple to make) DIY Mini Me F & D

3. Chasing ph in a soil grow was your first mistake but that is irrelevant at this point.

The different hydro systems are really just personal preference. Dialed in, the performance differences would be minimal.

4. There is a world of difference between the main types, but some systems incorporate parts from more than one type.

The main hydro systems are...
    F&D - flood and drain
    DWC - deep water culture
    RTF - recirculating top feed
    NFT - nutrient film technique

All hydro systems are a variation of one or more of these. They all work and all have their own advantages and disadvantages.

For a beginner I always recommend DWC because it's as simple as it gets. Its easy to build and gives great results.

There is no system that is better than another, but there will be a system that's more suited to you