Is there a complete qb explained thread?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Thatguythatgrows, Sep 18, 2018.

1. I have looked and used the search and asked the google. I have no idea beyond HID what I am getting myself into. I keep hearing lower temps and denser buds but I don’t know what a heat sink is, or how they or made, or why the hell I have to make it or pay in the first place. Somebody please point me in the right direction. My other thread has no interest as of yet.

2. Theres a really popular thread on here called hlg quantum boards in stock. You'll find more than enough info on there

• Like Like x 1
  3. Good advice given above. The qb120 and qb132 four packs on amazon are going to be your best bet. They run cool as hell, you can even touch the 120’s all day. 4 qb120’s will push 240-250 watts and 4 qb132’s will push 300 watts. You can make any frame configuration that works for your space out of aluminum angle. Many driver options for single boards, two boards, and four board sets.

I would recommend making seperate fixtures rather than one large one so you can raise or lower lights depending on plant height.

They are so versatile, if your growing area changes, you can change the configuration of the boards with it

A9E7259A-726A-4D82-9514-B7B585323956.png F619D1BD-0311-4179-B1B9-D9D97F42B805.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  4. I do want separate fixtures. So 1 qb132 per box? And I get 4 for $125?

And then I have to build them or something?

5. Grab the 4 pack and I would suggest 2 separate fixtures so 2 boards on each that gives you about 150w per fixture perfect for 1 plant. A hlg240-2100 will be capable of running all 4 boards in series . Unless you want to have them in separate tents. Than the hlg150 would be fine. You would need 16-18gauge copper wire ( black and red) and Waego connectors. After that theres plenty of videos on YouTube on how to build and wire them

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. If you actually look on Amazon it has (buy all 3 suggestion) at the bottom and that includes the waego connectors and power driver. It's only like 204$ or something. Then all you would need is wire. Of course if you are building a frame aluminum angle works perfectly. Maybe some fishing leaders to hang the driver a few inches above the board. the driver is what produces the heat even if it is minimum

7. Can there be one driver for all 4 boards? And I can run that in the attic? I am hoping to have one board per grow box. If it’s 2 side by side boards, they will fit awkward in a 2x2 space right?

8. 2 per 2x2 would be perfect. Get two seperate drivers to power two boards each and you now have two 150 watt lights with the most efficient diodes of full spectrum white led lighting.

9. If you add long leads from the driver to the boards, you can mount the driver remotely, outside of the tent or room to keep heat down even more. My temps went up 1.2-1.8 degrees with the drivers mounted to my electronics board inside the room.

10. A278475D-0543-4305-8061-A1BC85C3B269.png
    This is the one I was looking at. Could this alone run a 2x2? And if I pay the extra 35 or whatever, it comes ready to plug n play right?

11. I believe that is the hottest running board HLG makes. Trust me, buy the qb132’s or 120’s. Message Tbone Shuffle politely, asking which driver to use for two seperate units of your choosing (qb132’s or qb120’s depending on what’s in stock on amazon). I only know the four board driver I use but Tbone can recite the model numbers of every driver Meanwell makes and name the compatible boards.

12. They are so easy to build, I’m hiring my 7 year old nephew to help make some

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ok. Thanks for the help. What is a heat sink? I’ve seen people commenting that it’s better to use a bunch of 65s because they don’t need a heat sink.

14. I run the 135kit in my 2x2 and it's perfect

15. A heat sink is something that pulls heat from the light and pushes it up instead of having the heat from the light go straight down. With the 65 you dont need heatsinks. Same with 120 and 132s. they just aren't as powerful as the 288 boards and that's why it needs one.

I've pulled 1.8 gpw off my 135k quantum board in a 2x2.
    Plan to pull 2 gpw in my 4x2 off one monster crop clone

16. 1537318589155.jpg
    This is the 135 kit in 3k
    The 160 I've never used but it pulls and extra 30 watts so you'll get more power ( about 4 more watts per sq foot I'm spitballing cuz im at work and dont wanna do math ) so it probably does run hotter.

• Like Like x 1
  17. A heat sink is neede for the high powered qb units in order to dissipate the heat generated. The qb132’s and qb120’s don’t get hot enough to need heat sinks.

I had a pic of a fly sitting on one of mine but must have deleted it.

Here’s a couple pics of the build. Zoom in and see how they connect in series. The boards have push to connect fittings right on the board. You will only need to use crimp connectors or wagos to connect the + and - of the board to the outlet + and -, as well as crimp connectors to connect +, -, and neutral to an old extension cord.

4CE1438C-8C43-48D9-A6F0-387956BCC18B.jpeg 0646CC4D-C05A-486A-9A5E-EA3BC044E8D1.jpeg

18. ACA0CEDA-644A-4AB1-8761-0245B6D639DE.png
    Done deal... I’m thinking I’ll order 2 of these to get started. And 2 more in a couple of weeks.

19. Why spend almost $2 per watt when the 120’s and 132’s are less than $1 a watt. Are you concerned with assembly?

• Agree Agree x 1