Is the whole world colorblind?

Discussion in 'General' started by blkarmphoenix, Jan 9, 2011.

1. So just a passing high thought I had. How do we know that everybody sees things the same? For instance, if I had a red ball, and a blue ball, and asked you to point to the red one. You would point to the "red" one, but how do we know that what you see isn't actually, blue, brown, yellow, or green, but since you'd been raised your whole life to identify that as "red" you call it red.

I can imagine a whole bunch of people going through life seeing some sort of technicolor fantasy land and never thinking anything of it....

Discuss.

2. What if colorblind people are actually seeing colors correctly, and the rest of the world sees colors wrong?

3. What if colors aren't really colors at all?

4. I asked this very same question to my Science teacher in my senior year of highschool. High minds think alike my friend

5. What if our sensations are plugged into a computer and its malfunctioning. Like what we identify as hot is supposed to be cold, and what we feel as pain is supposed to be pleasure.

6. Man,
    I know exactly what you mean, that's some fucked up shit.

I believe, in fact, that when we consume psychedelic drugs our brains let down mental filters in your brain. Tripping could in fact be seeing through every possible color spectrum and changes frequently, causing spacial disturbances within your visual cortex.

7. I hear ya... I thought the same thing, how do we know that we see the whole color spectrum. And Nukes, that means getting your wang sucked is painful o.o

8. Aw man, I'm deep, but this made my head explode.

Subjectivity at its finest...

9. this is such a stereotypical philosophy question, let me tell you its not like that. if it was we would have found out by now

10. thiiiiiiiiiiiis

11. Ive pondered this exact question for a looong time now. It makes perfect sence.

12. Scientific research on the rods and cones of the eye have taken the fun out of this one :/
    I suffer from protanopia and deuteranopia, it really sucks when I used to play street hockey and lose the orange ball in the grass, or when my oceans in geography class were purple instead of blue haha. and my friend always messes with me on FIFA by picking a uniform really close to mine in color

13. if only humans were able to naturally view uv rays like lizards and reptiles do. just goes to show beauty is in the faulty camera in our minds.

can you think of a color you've never seen? what would that color make you feel?

14. I dunno if scientists could know how everybody's brains interpret sight. Maybe we all use out rods and cones differently, or the image is read by our brains differently. The fact of the matter is that it is highly questionable whether what we see with our own two eyes can truely be considered "reality".

15. It's not exactly that the object has color, but more of the word we use to describe it as. It's language that has the root in what we all use and agree on definitions.

16. I really hate to be a buzzkill, but while much of the brain remains a mystery, scientific research has gotten color vision pretty well figured out. Our brains are almost exactly alike, and the field of optics is VERY heavily covered by several fields. Take the example of a rainbow. As a colorblind person, I can't always distinguish between certain colors of the rainbow, while science as well as most people can tell me that there are seven distinct (dare I say, quantized) colors in the rainbow. I have a biological deficiency, not an alternate reality. I realize how fun toying with the idea of perception and its possible variances, but colorblindness is a real and well-documented condition.

17. this is a common idea. i think the reason it's so interesting is because of it's potential to expand into other areas, apart from just color. the idea of perspective, that everything we experience is subjective and for some reason we all have this idea of an objective reality. for all we know, it doesn't exist. it could be completely different for everyone, but our language just labels things, it doesnt describe how we percieve them personally, but how they're percieved by everyone. i could have an idea, then in order to try to convey it to someone else i'd have to translate it into words, but that person would have to translate it from words into their idea of what the words mean, and the idea would come across as the same. for example, what you were saying about color. i see what i've learned to be a blue car, i call it blue, someone hears this and imagines what they've learned to be blue. this says nothing about the actual objective color of the car but rather our personal idea of the word blue.

18. #18 RunningRiot, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
    I've been told I suffer from being colour blind. But that makes it sound like I can't see colours at all. I can, but it's like.. my green and browns get mixed up sometimes, my white and pinks, and my purple and blues. It's kind of annoying, but it's funny seeing people's reaction when I tell them I'm colour blind, and they think I can't see colours at all ahah.

"DUDEEE, How do you even enjoy the wooorldd maaan??":smoke:

It's weird how the mind works with it though, because whenever someone corrects me on my colour, I automatically see the colour it should be. For example, one time I bought these green shorts, but I was CONVINCED they were brown, until someone commented on them about being green. I looked at the shorts and was just like.. "holy fuck... these are green!". BUT THEY WERE BROWN WHEN I BOUGHT THEM I SWEAR!

19. Call it "color deficient" if you want to be clearer to people, but the most useful thing is to pull up the wikipedia article on colorblindness and show them which type(s) you are, then let them look at what the rainbow looks like to you. It saves me a looooot of explaining and "What color is this?"-ing lol

20. I used to think about that all the time! Lol but think of it this way...do you really think everyones colors are different? Colors are also assosiated with emotions and temperatures...Like red is hot blue is cold and weed is green...i mean cmon the sun is really hot man and its orangish