Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Is the pot today stronger than the pot of the 70's-80's??

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Spudderz, Dec 31, 2008.

1. #1 Spudderz, Dec 31, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2008
    I am getting back to token after at least a 20 year hiatus.

So what's the deal with prices these days? Has pot over the last 20 or so years become much more potent? I used to buy an ounce for ~ $30-40. But then I have nothing to compare to in terms of strength, have yet to find a connection locally.

2. Both are a direct effect of the prohibition.

The ONDCP has a stated goal to raise the price of weed in order to reduce demand.
    It doesn't work of course because it just makes truly dangerous drugs attractive to people coz now there's little price difference between them and weed, and it sucks into the market really bad criminals wanting to make fat money outta selling weed.

Everything the ONDCP does is a POS.

The increase in potency is also a direct effect of the prohibition. Just like when alcohol was prohibited and we saw high potency spirits become more popular than beer because it made more sense to bootleggers to take the risk smuggling them instead of beer because the profits were greater.

Under legalization prices (even after taxation) will be lower and there'll be new strains available that are lower in potency but give a much more enjoyable high. :smoke:

3. #3 thosevacanteyes, Dec 31, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2008
    It all depends on what kind of bud you are smoking. Regular bud is probably still better quality than the regular bud you got in the 70's and 80's. And $20 a gram strains will knock you on your ass. Both get you high though, one is just a very different high.

Here is an old pickup of mine, it is an unknown strain. The price was $120 a Quarter:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    -C

4. Potent (15-20% THC) strains have existed for hundreds if not thousdands of years. As thosevacanteyes said, 'regular' bud is probably more potent on average. The 'top end' of potency hasn't really changed though.

5. That's interesting, but I wonder how in the world ONDCP can have any impact on pot prices?

But yeah, ONDCP is ludicrous...

Look at the hightlights from their home page:

• New Data Indicate Nearly 1 Million Fewer Teen Drug Users 2001–2008
    • Data Summaries Illustrating the Decline in Drug Use
    • Reducing Drug Use in America
    • Making the Drug Problem Smaller, 2001–2008

BUT WHAT ABOUT LEGAL DRUG USE, LOOK AT HOW THAT IS SKYROCKETING! You can't turn the f'ing TV on without getting assualted with yet another drug commercial... so for the ONDCP to clain they are all about reducing "drug" use, its a crock. Drugs are rampant becuase of the $$$ made by pharmecuticals... synthetics... but weed is just a PLANT!... doesn't factor into their $$$ industries... so it has to be illegal.

Sorry, got to rambling there... the system is so f'ed up.

6. So I am just starting my first grow with some Nirvana NLxBB seeds... if all goes well, would the resulting bud be considered "regular bud"?

7. ahaha.

Nirvana's Northern Lights x Blueberry will melt your face, man. It's considered dank.

8. No.

If taken care of it will be what would considered "$20 a G" worthy.

But it is priceless to you because YOU grew it

-C

9. Oh sri, its NL x big bud

10. This could not be more true. There were South East Asian strains reported by DEA testing in the early to mid 70's that were 20%+, as well as several Hawiian strains that were reproted to be in the mid to high 20% level. Real Santa Marta Columbian reds and golds were in the 12-15% range. So when it comes to potency, it is not higher than many strains available in the 70's and 80's, only thing that has changed is there are more of them. The late 80's to late 90's bought on a breeding revolution which created 100's of strains which ranged from the 10% to high 20% range. We must also remember that many of the strains that were available from the late 60's to early 80's were used to create many of the strains of today. In many cases, some strains are not new, only the phenotypes are new. UK Cheese is a good example, as are many of the Skunk strains. Most are simply Skunk #1 only they produced a specific phenotype to give it a new name, as with UK Cheese, it is the moldy parmesan cheese smell that gives it the name. When breeding, you discover many different phenotypes among a specific strain, some are superior and others are inferior. In breeding, we carry the superior phenotypes and characterisitics on through selectively breeding plants that show the phenotypes we desire most.

As for prices, it is a direct result of prohibition. When I first started smoking an oz was $20-$25 and hash ran about the same. I remember buying a QP of Columbian for $90 and getting 1/2 oz of hash for the $10 to make it an even $100. In the mid 80's was when the prices went throught he roof. The avg. was about $35-$45 per oz then overnite shot up to $70-$100 an oz. The mid 90's I believe bought a new spike due to more people growing and producing a higher quality commercial grade which sent the prices to over $100 an oz. Now people take time and put so much effort into growing potent product and they believe they should be compensated for it. I have seen prices as high as $150 per 1/4 in my area.

Jus tthink, if more poeple grew rather than bought it on the illicit market, prices would bottom out. However, until prohibition is lifted many feel the risk is too great.

less

11. It's just part of inflation, man. The economy's gone to shit and the value of the dollar has drastically plummeted. That $40 you spent in the 70's is worth about $100 dollars in todays value.
    As for the weed quality, yes and no. Improved cultivation and growing techniques have increased the average potency of the weed (3.5% by weight in the 70's, 6-7% today), but you're still as likely to find schwag (low quality shit weed. About 2%. 2 grams for $5) as you are to find Headies (anywhere from 15-30%. $15-30 a gram).

Here's a price, potency, and name chart to help get you back in the fold.

Schwag: Lowest quality. Many stems, seeds. No trichromes (crystals) or hairs. Very dark green/brown in color. Very slight "bud" smell. 1-2% by weight. $5/2 grams. Not worth it.

Reg (AKA Reggie): Decent quality. A few stems and seeds, but not too bad. Very few crystals, but possibly hairs. Grass green in color. Decent bud smell. 5-8% by weight. $5/1.5 grams. What most smokers smoke on a regular basis.

Beasters: Very good quality. Very few stems and seeds (no mmore than 3-4 seeds per 1/4 ounce). Crystals and hairs. Light green in color. Strong bud aroma. 10-15% by weight. $10/gram.

Headies (aka dank/fire): Best of the best. Almost no stems, and ABSOLUTELY NO SEEDS (don't buy it if there are seeds). Crystals and hairs galore. LIME GREEN. 15-30% by weight. $15-40/gram.

Here are some reference pics:
    Schwag
    [​IMG]

Reggie
    [​IMG]

Beasters
    [​IMG]

Headies
    [​IMG]

Note: none of the pics are mine, I merely got them off the internet.

12. :eek:

13. As has been stated, prices are what they are because of prohibition. It allows the less than scrupulous dealer/growers to charge a hundred times what it costs to grow. Organized crime makes money hand over fist with huge commercial grow ops.

If it were legal prices would drop through the floor.

14. QTF but if you have the money there's nothing better in my city.

15. LOL I wish my reggie looked like that, I have never seen that many hairs on reg before, and Ive smoked a lot of reg...

16. that's pretty damn crystally for mids too, guy. I think you are mistaken.

17. inflation the price of everything goes up therefore the price of marijuana goes up. just like weed everything else was also cheaper in the 70s/80s.

18. No it's not stronger. That's just more shit put out by the government to scare people. Look in the news section. There is an article about a chinese guy they found from 2,700 years ago that had bud just as strong as we do today. Only difference is now we are more selective about what we grow.

19. Damn, wrong pic, my bad, haha. This is what I meant to put:

[​IMG]

20. #20 coaltar, Jan 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2009
    High Times just did an article on this and all the test that were run to test the potency where from 20 year old dope. Their answer is no, they are not really more potent. The strains are better and different and you wont get those prices anymore.

Welcome back.

Just curious if I may ask, why such a long break?