Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

is the MFLB worth it?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by lightthatdro, Jan 30, 2011.

1. #61 Ottawa Kush, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2011

it didnt combust, its just cuz the microhit causes higher temps making the weed black. the microhit gives you thicker, more milky hits. here r some things that might interest mflb users:

What is the 'micro-hitting' or 'micro-toking' technique?

Micro-hitting is taking a series of quick short puffs with pauses between them but without exhaling, all on a single battery connection. This method is capable of producing a thicker cloud, which is sought after by many users. Keep in mind that thicker clouds are hotter and harsher, and could cause coughing.

What is pyromon's technique? Does it really deliver thick cloudy hits?

pyromon is a member of FC who posted a no-draw technique that gives thicker and cloudier vapor because it results in minimum airflow over the load. In his post, pyromon said, "I have now perfected my LaunchBox technique. I am now getting crazy thick hits like I get with my zap and my surfer." His method is:
    1. Grind up herb as fine as possible with grinder.
    2. Load trench so it is filled slightly higher than the top of the trench.
    3. Insert battery and exhale fully.
    4. Place your mouth on the box without the stem, being careful not to have your tongue or teeth in the vapor path.
    5. Breathe in through your nose slowly as though you are taking a normal breath.
    6. Inhale until your lungs feel full or you start choking on the vapor.
    7. Hold breath.
    8. Optional: Breathe vapor out through your nose.
    He added, "After my first 2 hits are cleared I remove the herb from the trench and grind it between my finger tips almost to a powder consistency."
    This technique works because when you draw air into your lungs through your nose with your mouth open, a slight vacuum effect results in enough airflow to draw the vapor from the LB and mix with the air flowing into the lungs. This is the slowest possible draw, so the load gets heated to high temperatures, and this is why you get a thick hit.
    Successful variations to consider, as reported by other FC members:
    • Less load in the trench.
    • Use the stem.
    • Inhale to 80% lung capacity, finish with clean air to draw the vapor deeper into the lungs.
    Cautions:
    • The hits are thicker because the load is heating with almost no airflow. In particular, a fully charged battery can heat the load to scorching and even combustion if the draw takes too long.
    • Until you gain experience, it can be difficult to judge how much vapor you've received. It is better to start with short draws and increase the length as you become familiar with the technique.
    If my weed turns black, it means I'm combusting right?

Not necessarily--"combustion" generally implies a self-sustained oxidization reaction, whereas "blackening" merely indicates that a number of the more complex molecules have been broken down--"reduced" to carbon. For example, it is possible to blacken nearly any organic materials in the complete absence of oxygen--a clear distinction/demonstration that combustion is definitely not required for blacking--ie, the terms/events are identifiably distinct. You will know for sure when combustion occurs because it always results in ash--generally a gray powdery residue.
    However, blackening is not really that desirable either, for it indicates that at least potentially some of the medicinal ingredients have been overheated, reducing them to less useful compounds--ie that less than optimal efficiency has been obtained. Usually, it is recommended that frequent stirring between hits be used to prevent blackening, particularly as it improves the overall taste.

About blackening, is there any tar or carcinogen in the vapor released by herb that went through temperatures high enough to blacken the herb as opposed to herb that was vaporized at lower temps?

This is a good question, and hard to answer without more specific research. Based as much on intuition and indirect reading as on anything measured directly, it seems the chances of such are significant--that there are more likely to be more tars, if not also some level of increased chance of more harmful compounds released if any herbal material is heated to the point of significant blackening. However, the real question is "does it matter"--ie, is this increased chance significant enough to be concerned about?
    To make this more explicit, it would be necessary to much more specific about what constitutes a "tar" and would be considered potentially harmful to health. For example, the presence of vaporized THC itself could by most professional (chemical) definitions be classified as a "tar", and some people (more politically motivated) would also list it as "harmful to health", although most people (hopefully) know better. Thus, it becomes a matter of which polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and associated isomers are likely to occur and in what proportions as a result of any given level of overheating. As such, the overall question gets very complex very fast and admits of no simple interpretation other than the fairly obvious "significant overheating of herbal materials is generally bad".
    As such, the best that can be realistically offered at this point is an unjustified opinion: as long as you do not heat herbs beyond the point at which more than about 15% of the load becomes more dark than dark chocolate brown, there is no cause or justification for worry. Beyond this, it is *probably* the case that even heating about 1/4 of a load nearly full black will have no detectable long term health effects as long as you are not doing so multiple times every single day for weeks at a time. It is also certain that even if you were to vaporize to these far limits, it is overall significantly less harmful than any type of smoking, including and especially that involving any amount of water filtration.
    Furthermore and finally, as many people reading this are likely to already know, hundreds of politically minded groups have pressured many more scientists to find and publish any possible research supporting any connection whatsoever between smoking various popular herbs and any measurable/functional health defect or decline. Given such consistent efforts over the last several decades, the failure of any one of these very motivated and well funded groups to widely and dramatically publish any significant or well justified evidence, I think that it is safe to assume/believe that no such connection exists. Therefore, for anyone to spend any amount of time worrying about the possibility of harmful effects associated with occasionally somewhat overheating some 120 milligrams (max) of herb, given all of this, is probably unnecessary--with a LB vaporizer you are probably as safe as it is possible to be.

note this is not mine it all came from this site http://www.vaporpedia.com/wiki/Magic-Flight_Launch_Box so many questions you might have about the mflb