Is the helix pipe as good as people say it is?

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by Whohulkwalk, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Friend had one, always thought it would break easily.
    2 weeks ago his friend broke it.
    the funnel affect doesn't make it smoother or anything, just looks cool.
    Waste of money if you ask me.

2. I disagree entirely. I love mine.

It is the best dry pipe on the market IMHO. Its easily smoother than any other dry pipe I've ever smoked. The technology behind it works, and is proven scientifically.

It makes smooth grass smoke cooler and rough grass have less bite.

3. Where is your science?

4. I hit one and immediately gave it back, i didnt like the hit..reminded me of hitting a dry spoon while forgetting to put your finger over the carb jmho

5. I cant comment on the dry spoon attachment, but did try the helix with the water attachment that came with and it was most certainly smooth as eggs

6. #7 Cottonmouth 85, Nov 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2010
    Its called the Bernouli principle.

I have a buddy who does energy rating. Making houses more efficient and stuff like that. He said that was in his textbooks constantly (for the specialization training), and its in all sorts of things designed at cooling attics and homes more efficiently now.

Long story short you can google the Bernouli principle all you want, I'm not going to do it for you, but it works. Its not just in weed pipes. Most of it is in all sorts of science and technical areas and is used to cool exhaust gases, etc. Some smart fella read about it, figured it would work at cooling weed smoke if you formed the chamber into the mouthpiece of a pipe, and it does.

Bernoulli's principle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Long story short by adding fresh jets of air at the correct angle in a chamber and it will cause the smoke to swirl around inside a negative pressure bubble and it causes the surface area of the smoke that comes into contact with cooler air to increase dramatically, thus cooling the smoke. The same premise as percs bubbling the smoke into smaller bubbles so more of it touches cool water. Except its cool air, not water.
    Only if they aren't packed properly. They have a big hole and it needs the correct type of glass screen. I assure you mine works fine. That is actually one of the great things about it. Since the smoke is so soft I can take tremendous rips with it. Way larger than any other dry pipe.

It always comes down to peoples opinion, and I've heard about and seen some shotty work by them, but mine works/looks perfect and I love it. I've been smoking over a decade now and have smoked i couldn't even tell you how many different pipes. This is easily the best dry pipe I've ever toked. If it breaks I'll buy another one. It was only 70 bucks. I've paid 60 bucks for some pretty regular pipes.

7. Sorry to double post but this is worth knowing.

The way to carb it is to smother the bowl with your hand, then let the ports carb the chamber for you. That way it continues to cool the smoke. Once the chamber is almost empty you release the carb. It has a big chamber(its a surprisingly large pipe), and a big carb. If you just carb it like regular you get a big hot blast of smoke and its no better than a regular pipe.

I have the single one piece spoon and its very weighty and solid. I've heard the glass on the 3 pc can be thin near the joint. I would be leery about a bubbler because of the pressure needed to bubble the water. But with a dry pipe you don't rip it as hard as you can, so the slight loss of a dry pipe is negligible. You just rip it harder.

But I'm talking out of my ass there, I've never hit the bubbler attachment and know nothing about it.

8. Pretty sick. I might get one of these.

9. I've got the 3 piece set-up and everyone thats hit it loves it. I just wish the would have designed it with a removeable mouthpiece that way it could be used on tubes. Kultureva.com just got some boxfan/salt/helix colabs that are sick.

10. I might get the jet flash smoke system.I like it better than the helix

11. owned:D

12. #13 Cottonmouth 85, Nov 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2010
    At the headshop where I got mine they had little mini chambers that were meant to go between your bowl and downstem on a bong.

But they were very cheaply made, and some of the holes were even nearly sealed with shitty glass work. Considering how perfectly mine was made, and how crappy those were I was wondering if they were fakes.

When they first came out I saw a lot of different experimental designs using the helix. It seems the dry piece and the 3pc has been proven to work well and is now standard sizes. Others I've seen seem to still be "in devolopment" phases if you will.

I've never seen or tried a jet flash in person but I'm curious. Anyone thats got one speak up. My guess is there will be a lot of this technology out in the next 5 yrs. I watched the video and I see that chamber is longer than the helix, but it looks like it spins slower. Or maybe he's just pulling it slow trying to show the spinning effect on camera.

13. post that jet flash video I couldn't find any

14. Jet-Flash Smoke System - English - Grasscity.com

if you hit the tabs under some items next to product description there will be a video showing you more about the product. This one only has german though.

that system is cheaper though. Granted I got mine at a headshop but it was 70 dollars and it was on sale. So for a 3pc system that is pretty cheap.

15. If your looking for a nice DRY PIPE, you have a few options. You could get an incredibowl Mini, a Helix with the attachments, or just a really artsy glass pipe that you love from Etsy.

16. get the jet-flash. its the same thing as the helix but half the price. only difference is on the jetflash the bubbler attachment is in the shape of a grip to fit your hand easily. amazing piece even if you dont smoke i could watch that thing all day. also with all the attachments you have a bowl perfect for any occassion. 1 hitter to yourself, bowl with a friend or 2, and bubbler if you really wanna get stoned. love it i already broke mine but luckily i got two:hello:

17. Love mine. Honestly I never use anything but the bubbler. Sure, the others are nice when compared to normal versions of the same pipes, but the Helix bubbler is super smooth! And this is coming from someone who uses a quad perc bong!

18. I own one and personally love it. Its oddly shaped but i can look past it. Its a harsh dry hit most of the time but if you know how to use it correctly then you can rip that like a huge water peice. Most people just dont know how to use it properly and therefore dont like it. Personally i think this is a different typed of high. But deffently worth it if you like something unique!

19. It works okay. Not worth the price tag though imo.
    And to the person who has it that says the helix thing lets them take such bigger rips, it really isn't. Youre probably inflating your lungs more sure but its also got a lot of air in it :p