Is the Fed crackdown beginning?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by HongKongFuwii, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Yesterday, medical dispensaries along I-5 were raided by the DEA.
    http://www.thenewstribune.com/2013/07/24/2693689/dea-raiding-marijuana-dispensaries.html

Since the state govt is still trying to figure out how to structure a heavily regulated "legal" MJ industry, there are no "legal" pot shops to raid... yet, just dispensaries, but the message is the same. It's still illegal FEDERALLY! They can still bust you and take everything you have!

I voted against the initiative to quote 'legalize" for several reasons, and this reason was among my fears. What essentially happened is the govt baited a trap. Got regular folks doing something they think is legal, then Bam! easy pickins...

I guess this serves as the Statement from the DOJ/DEA on the policy they will be taking with Citizens that get a little upity in reclaiming Liberty from the govt...

2. I think it all depends on exactly what these shops were busted for. The DEA has been active all along enforcing school zone requirements and larger grows. I'd have to know more before concluding this is anything new. Remember, a bust only sets up a constitutional showdown which will no doubt rise to the Supreme Court to iron out. State laws Vrs federal laws....many of the Supreme Court Justices are BIG on states rights.

3. From the sounds of the article, The particular collective was under investigation. IF, and I am just assuming here, IF the collective was involved in black market sales (and it seems they had specific evidence on dispensaries involved with that collective) then that would explain alot. How many dispensaries operate in the US today? The DEA only busted a handful from a specific district. My guess is that this is not  the start of any trend, just the same business as usual DEA activities.

4. Well that oughta make the people who had their property confiscated feel better... and those who have to find another place to get meds... now they don't have to sweat and worry about what it will cost in money, property, and freedom just going through the due process part, much less being punished.

That's why, Imho, it's not legal until you don't have to ask anyone if you can grow it in your front yard.

5. Sorry, but this is the country we live in. IF the collective was breaking whatever law is in place, then like it or not they will get screwed. I am not one to preach, but IF this is the case the collective should have considered all your points prior to jepordizing their patients. I have been busted for growing pot and am fully aware of the pain of property loss, legal fees, and a whole barrage of other unintended consequences, and am no fan of legal repercussions. That said, our country is based on a legal system that sets parameters and if we tempt fate sometimes fate bites back.

6. Just starting to? If you are just now getting annoyed with the current administration then you haven't been paying attention.

I can't deny this.  It's much easier to keep your head up your ass, especially these days, but that is no excuse.

I am just waking up to the web of lies, deciet and bullshit we are entangled in.

But I remain positive.  More and more people are waking up with me and speaking out

8. With this Admin, this AG, this media- we will never know the truth!

9. Didn't Obama say they have better shit to do than bust pot shops....not word for word but something about it not being a priority. FULL OF SHIT

10. #11 Kroptonik, Jul 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2013
    Those shops are shady, selling pounds of weed out of the back door to little wanna be thugs. i also personally witnessed the owner of the Tacoma/seattle/lacy cross try to buy pain pills off of one of his customers at the Tacoma location before the first time it was shut down...

11. The first one may be justified. But the 2nd one...pointing guns in thier face and they only scored a QP and 12 plants
    ? That's fked up.

12. Well I am glad at least that you have woken up to what is going around and only encourage you to keep on educating yourself on current events.

13. I think rather than worrying about a maze of laws state and federal, we should be asking if peoples' actions have any adverse effects to those around them. Growing some plants seems pretty safe. Pan back just a touch and ask yourself if you should be defending these actions in any way, shape, or form if no one is in danger, the neighbors around them are being respected, and there is no other illegal action going on. THAT is freedom and should be the expectation, not justifying laws which are based purely on greed, racsism, and outright insanity.

14. The US is a nation built on law. Any action that "may" effect another citizen in this country most likely has a law attached to it that will define the limits of said action, and the penalties imposed for crossing this line. Any "substance" that has the ability to alter or impare the "normal" manner in which humans function is regulated in this country and has a law attached to it defining the penalities imposed for crossing that line. We as citizens have very little ability to change the laws attached to the use of substances available in each state. We all know the procedure...every 2 years we have 1 shot at voting for another human (representative) that may, or may not represent what we as individuals believe should represent laws we ALL have to abide by. (or pay the penalties for breaking) State by state citizens tweak laws to generally represent the consensus. The citizens with the least representation have to live under laws imposed by citizens with the most representation. (or move to a state where the laws more closely reflect our personal belief system) We do not have to like the laws we live by, we CAN attempt to change the laws we live by. In the US change only happens by voting for humans that tend to represent us more than the guy trying to block what "we" want, or the manner in which "we" want to live. Verbally attacking Obama for allowing his AG or his DEA to continue enforcing the laws in existance seems senseless. Obama didn't make any of these laws and his true ability to harness the agencies in place enforcing existing law is questionable. Had he allowed the DEA to REALLY CRACK DOWN on these new state policies of legalization/distribution all of our heads would be spinning at the low unemployment figures due to intense construction of new Federal prisions to incarcerate the HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of new Federal lawbreakers. So then, the answer to the OP's question is a soild...NO!  There is NO Federal crackdown. ONE co-operative fucking up and getting greedy does not a Federal crackdown make. To imply anthing but shows to me a complete lack of understanding of the US legal/political structure.

15. I'm waiting for the next election where Its almost a guarantee that the majority will vote in favor of marijuana legalization.  I want to see what happens when the government still finds a way to say no after a majority vote.  Even those that are against marijuana would be up in arms at the negation of a majority vote.  The way the big piece of paper is written up, majority wins.  If we all vote for it it HAS to be law.  Well, unless they want a second American Revolution.  I was thinking of making a video of all the cancer patients the DEA hurt by raiding Seattle a while back.  Messages like "Would you do this to your own mother/father/other family member?  Why would you do it to someone else's?"  With all the facts CLEARLY on the table about marijuana, the DEA really showed their backsides here.  I think this will definitely help marijuana's cause and further the bad reputation of the DEA and the incredible waste of money they are to taxpayers.

16. #17 weedwhacky, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2013
    Well, here's a step in the right direction, Holder to announce today that they are reducing the minimum sentencing for some drug cases:
    Holder To Announce New Policy For Non-Violent Drug Offenders

Not to sound negative, but it will be fun to watch and see if the people who made money off the private prison system will now begin to open lots of "rehabilitation" institutions to handle all the cases that get referred to them as an alternative to any prison sentence.  

This already happens, which inflates the "teen in rehab for marijuana addiction" statistic.  But the reduced sentencing guidelines might really give a boost to the scammers that run SOME of these rehab places.

It doesn't matter if its legal in washington. Because its still illegal on a federal level.

Also what do you think obama, himself, can do? Almost everyone on this forum pictures the president as someone who can just wave his magic wand and change laws, or stop the DEA from busting ILLEGAL dispensaries.  It doesn't work like that.

he can suck my dick

19. #20 llllllllll, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2013
    Yeah and thats about the extent of his powers.

So much young adult angst on here, especially inthe politics forum.  No matter who the president is people will be complaining for him to do things he cant do.