is the end closer than we think?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by IGotTheCottons, Mar 29, 2003.

1. Can't you all see that the writers of the Bible used it to control people, and ussually for the better. But apocoliptic prophecies are written only to allow for the control of people in times of strife. People who believe the Bible, and take it word for word, are soon going to be the death of us. Or it could be a fundamentalist from another religion. We control far to much destructive energy to let something as stupid as religious squabbles get between us. Our new religion should be science, as it was of old. Their religion, rulers, and science all coincided. None was particularly good, but I think we can pull it off. We have that most human of edges: technology. Our lives should be getting more simple, with more time for thought, but it's not so. We have appointments and meetings and crap like that. Most of them useless. Some of them are important, and we should keep those, but we should be free of the vast majority. Machines can do many of our everyday jobs, and we should be free to concentrate our mental energies on deserving subjects, rather than the tedious intracasies of everyday life. We should afford the greatest respect to physicists, scientists, and the like, treating them as we treat priests, free to pursue their calling, without fear of being turned out of house and home. I'm gona trail off now, before I start spewing crazy-talk.

2. True, but the thing is that somepeople fear the when people have too much time to think they might start asking questions. Many of the jobs can be done by robots, yes, but before we can start using robots on a larger scale we should first create some other system than money, you get money from a job you do and with that money you buy food. Companies aren't willing to pay people for not doing' anything. Ofcourse we could start harvestiong and growing our own food but we're too deep in the culture where you go to an shop and buy what you need. But these problems would be much faster solved if we wouldn't have these wars all the time. the money used to make weapons is ridicously BIG, one fighter 2.5 billion$ one missile 90 000$ they're BURNING money in the air when they should be INVESTING in science and astrology and technology. Are we still so stupid that we rather fight fuck and kil than think and live in peace? Religion have been the biggest hold back in science as long there have been science and religion. Science and religion aren't the same thing, well some people say that everything you need to know is in the bible and that's that. Everything is happening faster and faster all the time for example computers think about the "evolution" of computers from -700 to 1950 and then the 1950-2003 period first there was just mathematics and physics, then came the calculating board, calculator, hole cards, the warehouse sized computers, amiga, 286, PC and now we have laptops packed with 40 GB, and everything. MP3 players in watches and keyrings. Mobile phone/computer/camera/radio. Internet we can chance Ideas all around the world in almost real time. we have acces to almost unlimited sources of information, we have put men to moon and we have surface pictures of mars and jupiter and we have pictures of other galaxies. But still they're arguing about who owns the most oil, or who has the most power......

Can't you see the boarders doesn't matter anymore there is only one nation Humans, we have found peace from Cyberia and it's time to find peace on earth.

3. none of the bible prophesies have come true.

as for this islam thing.

first off, muslims *do not* pray to the east. they pray towards mekka, their holy city. if a muslim is on the north pole, he prays toward south. if in indonesia towards the west and so forth.

second, during biblical times, sunworshipping was quite a normal religion.

thirdly, atheism is *not* a religion. a religion is a belief in myth and the supernatural. atheism dismisses this outright. atheism is disbelief in religion. not a religion in it self.

4. i distinctly remembering that they BOW to the east (which a MAJORITY of them do). i know they pray to mecca, which is located not far from Solomon's temple.

also, i'm sorry for categorizing atheism as a religion... i didn't mean it as a literal religion... i just used it to make a point. sorry for the misunderstanding...

you really should stop taking what i'm saying as 100% literal. it's causing you a lot of misunderstanding.

and also... "biblical times" spanned a good portion of 8,000 years (give or take)... which period would you be speaking of in which sun-worshipping was common?... oh wait... i forgot... i didn't mention anything about worshipping the sun.

5. hey cottons, this is fun, isn't it. i like it anywas. it's pretty obvious we will never agree on religion, but that is not the point. the point is the discussion, the arguments we make. to make people think. to take a position...

6. lol, to be honest, it's kinda wearing me out. my new job is keeping me from having much free time... that, and i'm putting a lot of energy into our little debates. i do like the arguments we each make, and do agree that they're thought provoking... i dunno. it is all getting a little redundant though... i think (for the time being at least) we should give it a rest. i'm open to any questions you may have or whatever... i just don't feel much like arguing and debating for a while.

7. About the worshipping of the sun: The sun and the moon are THE oldest things ever worshipped or held as gods. there's not a one particular religion that worships sun and the moon it's done by many from druids to new-age people. From alchemy to shamanism. and the muslims do bow towards the mecca 'cos when they pray they bow. the BOWING is PRAYING.