Is the earth really round?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by G-MAN, Sep 3, 2008.

1. #1 G-MAN, Sep 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2008
    Answer: yes

lol i was reading theflatearthsociety.org forums for a laugh and found this amusing response to someone who showed evidence of the earth being round by a series of photographs.

"This seems to be further evidence that light bends upwards. Thanks dyno."

original post: http://theflatearthsociety.org/foru...991f36986a4b544c5087c779b29d9ca&topic=22317.0

I love it when people twist evidence to fit their retarded ends rather than accepting the fact they are wrong. It's people like this, who are so stubborn and stupid who are holding us back. It reminds me of creationists who believe the wolrd was made in seven days. Ill try and find something on the site for actual debate, it's hard though, its just too ridiculous for words.

Edit: incase anyone doesnt understand, light does not bend upwards away from earth and its gravity (which a lot of flat earthers believe is caused by the constant acceleration upwards by the disk upon which we live).

2. ahaha flat earth society? that is the most retarded and random thing ive ever heard. where do people come up with these things?

3. i was taught the earth is an oblate spheroid:p

4. If light bends upwards does it do so at a constant radius?
    If it does, then it would go in a perfect circle, and you could see your back in front of you.

Of course, i'd have to ask one of these flat-earth freaks, but I can tell I wouldnt get along with them.

5. I just wasted an hour reading that thread.

I feel like that osama guy is just going on a few theories he hasnt totally proven yet. The thing is he knows his math and physics, the people hes arguing with don't.
    If anyone can slap some sense into him, its someone with equal knowledge.

6. #6 G-MAN, Sep 3, 2008
    No one can change their minds, they have already been made up. he knows a bit of physics, but obviously not enough, i read one of his posts where he claims the sun is 32 miles in diameter and converts mass to energy perfectly and only has 1.5 million years left based on his assumed density of the sun. hes a grade a fucktard, as is tom bishop, read some of his posts, they are quite funny.

I can't genuinely discern whether these people are serious or not; some of them have pictures of themselves in suits or their uni gowns with a diploma of some sort in their hand (probably law ones, since lawers dont care so much about the truth, they just want to win their case).

The sadest part is, some of these bias people will become scientists:
    "Quote from: sokarul on August 19, 2008, 09:52:21 PM
    Because college weeds out people like you.

That is interesting, because I am currently in my first year studying science (hoping to major in physics) at the University of Sydney. I got in with a UAI of 95.25, which means that in the final exams in high school I came out better than 95.25% of the state. My highest mark was in Mathematics; I got 99% in the exam. And you say college weeds out people like me? Good Lord, who do they let through? "

Thats Osama btw. Hes hoping to major in physics and yet thinks the world is flat and the sun and all other stars for that matter, don't rely on fusion, but rather some sort of magical matter to energy conversion which doesn't require lots of mass (and subsequent gravitational force) to create the pressure and temperature required for fusion to take place.

7. #7 G-MAN, Sep 3, 2008
    I reckon we should make a big list of things to prove that the earth is flat and then post it there lol

ok ill get the list started:

• A ship which sails towards land will only be visible by it's mast first, followed by the hull as it gets closer. (cant see them disproving this with any credible science)
    • Satelite tv. (could be a conspiracy, they could actually be super light baloons which just float above the flat earth)
    • Pictures from space (possible conspiracy, even with commercial space flights available)
    • constellations (sp)
    • earth leaving a rounded shadow on the moon (could be countered with the good old space shadow object or whatever they call it)
    • Other planets clearly being round
    • Planes flying a curved flight path due to earths curvature
    cant think of anymore atm

8. yup. the earth is flat and was created in six days. gays are physical manifestations of satan, and we are all the offspring of the same two incestuous white people. LOL i guess some people will believe anything.

9. Oh yes. Most actually believe something or other that they have not applied any critical thinking to before accepting it wholesale.

And the only way to stop silly ideas from perpetuating, even spreading, is to treat childish beliefs without evidense to be just that, childish. Often that means argumenting to the believers as they actually were children. With a healthy dose of overbearing and thinly veiled, if not outright mockery.

Even believers know when they are made fun of, and they don't like it. That is when they play the "offended" card. Which essentially means they got no counter-argument, and rather not want to continue debating an issue.

10. true that brotha!

11. flat earth society = ultimate face palm

12. Im pretty convinced that the flat earth society was started by a few people who are just messing around and just trying to get everyone all worked up and pissed off at them. The last time i saw that site, there was only about 3 main people discussing the most ridiculous crap and all their evidence consisted of stupid stories and poorly photoshoped images. The rest of the poeple on there were all "REers" who would just yell at the few "FEers" that would simply respond with a link to their extreamly long FAQ that doesnt really provide any info at all. I was pretty close to joining them in their charade but never got around to it.

13. Guys, check this out.

So I wanted to get some laugh-age in my work day this afternoon. I cruise on over to the FLAT EARTH society page and I find this thread about Google Earth.

This is, seriously, what one kid said:

Wow...haha :D

Here's the full link: flat earth google earth idiots

14. That sounds like one of the retarded trolls who are just saying shit to get a reaction lol

The real gems are the ones you can't tell are being serious, for example someone with over 1k posts (surely most ppl get bored of trolling by then lol), and a picture of them dressed up like someone intelligent lol

15. The earth looks rounds, but upon closer inspection, it has flat areas and hills. I think a billiard ball is more round than earth, the billiard ball's tallest mountain would be 8 feet (if same size as earth).

16. I can't tell what exactly you were adding to this thread, so I'm trying to understand. The earth seems flat because, yeah, the curvature in degrees is so minimal and almost nonexistant from our POV on the ground that yeah, patches do seem flat. But all of the earth is curved, it's just most likely like .000000000000000000001 inch/sq ft.

17. 1st - Have any of these people flown on a plane? you can see the curvature of the earth when your flying.....

2nd - Where do i get a flatearthsociety.org tshirt? I would love to rock that

18. I was going to write a fairly lengthy post about how someone will believe any old bollocks and keep believing in it due to lack of logic and lack of ability to say, "you know what, i was wrong".. but i watched this video of what life would be like on flat earth instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0xCdfIzZwU

19. [FONT=&quot]This is the FAQ from the flat earth society, my comments in red, i might post it on their forums.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Welcome to the Flat Earth Society![/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Thanks for taking the time to go through this FAQ. It was created in light of the realization that for someone with a "round-Earth" (RE) background, the FE theory would appear at first glance to have some glaring holes.

Recently we have [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]had[/FONT][FONT=&quot] many new members joining us and asking the same questions about these holes, so cheesejoff decided to make a FAQ. While the original version was mostly complete, it's a work-in-progress, and we occasionally do make corrections based on inconsistencies that are raised.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

I'm just making a sticky out of it so that no one will have an excuse for starting a thread about a topic that's already been discussed and debated to death. It will be updated as necessary.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Disclaimer[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

The opinions and beliefs expressed in any posts do not necessarily reflect the beliefs of The Flat Earth Society Forums.
    The Flat Earth Society Forums' goal is to promote the free discussion of The Flat Earth Theory as well as the free discussion of and debate of any topic of interest to our members that do not contradict Forum Rules.
    The views of any individual or organization (including that of the old Flat Earth Society run by Charles K Johnson) are not necessarily shared in whole or in part by The Flat Earth Society Forums. The only person qualified to give the official position of the Forums (if required) is Daniel.
    Also please remember that views of the Forum are not necessarily shared by the Forum Staff who come from both sides of The Flat/Sphere Debate and whose sole unifying purpose is to promote a smooth running forum so as to encourage the victory of truth thought free discussion and argument.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Important Links[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

If you have any questions about, or see anything wrong with the answers in this list you can talk about it here.

For the original work by the man who created the Flat Earth Society over a hundred and fifty years ago, please see Samuel Rowbotham's Earth: Not a Globe.

A list of Flat-Earth sites is available here

All credit for this FAQ goes to cheesejoff and Erasmus as they did almost all of the work.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Terminology[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

FE (theory/model): Flat Earth (theory/model), a theory which states that the Earth is flat.
    FE'er: Flat Earther, someone who believes in the FE theory.

RE (theory/model): Round Earth (theory/model), a theory which states that the Earth is round.
    RE'er: Round Earther, someone who believe the RE theory.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]General / this forum[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Q: "Is this site for real?"

A: This site is real. There are people who seriously believe the Earth is flat. However, there are also people on this site who do not. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]

Q: "Why do you guys believe the Earth is flat?"

A: Well, it looks that way up close. Also, Samuel Rowbotham et al. performed a variety of experiments over a period of several years that show it must be flat. They are all explained in his book, which is linked at the top of this article.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Close up perhaps, but how about from a plane, or simply seeing a ship coming sailing in, mast appearing first, and then the hull? Followed by an immediate book plug, the con begins.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Government[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Q: "Why do the all the world Governments say the Earth is round?"

A: It's a conspiracy

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Fallacy. A conspiracy without a motive, is like a broken pencil, pointless.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Q: "What about NASA? Don't they have photos to prove that the Earth is round?"

A: NASA is part of the conspiracy too. The photos are faked.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Again, what do NASA have to gain from fabricating a lot of images (a lot, hundreds a day at least)? Live photographs taken from satellites are hard to fake.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Q: "Why has no-one taken a photo of the Earth that proves it is flat?"

A: The government prevents people from getting close enough to the Ice Wall to take a picture.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Ok so this adds army personel to the list of people in on the conspiracy. Surely they would wonder why they are guarding uninhabitated parts of Earth? How exactly would they effectively guard something which encircles the entire earth? The amount of people in on the conspiracy would be high..[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Q: "How did NASA create these images with the computer technology available at the time?"

A: Since NASA did not send rockets into space, they instead spent the money on developing advanced computers and imaging software instead [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]And what of the soviets closely monitoring every move leading upto and including the space race, silly me, they are in on it too.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

PLEASE NOTE This means that pictures confirming the roundness or flatness of the Earth DO NOT IN THEMSELVES CONSTITUTE VALID PROOF

Q: "What is the motive behind this conspiracy?"

A: The motive is unknown although it is probably money[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Yes it probably is money, that is one thing we can agree on, the entire conspiracy, is the conspiracy, as has been proven by this very FAQ which plugs the book “Earth: Not a globe”[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Q: "If you're not sure about the motive, why do you say there is a conspiracy?"

A: Well it's quite simple really; if the earth is in fact flat, then the governments must be lying when they say it isn't.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Yes, perfect logic. Thats like the government saying gravity exists, when really it doesn't. I mean, they must be lying right? Its the government.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Q: "The government could not pull off the conspiracy successfully"

A: Actually, they could.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Ability to pull of a conspiracy does not make it more plausable. And btw, a global conspiracy as this, is not easily contained. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Q: "How are the world governments organized enough to carry out this conspiracy?"

A: They only appear to be disorganized to make the conspiracy seem implausible.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Makes perfect sense to me if i completely ignore the fact that many countries do not get on and weve had 2 world wars in the last centuary, causing millions of deaths.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    Q: Why hasn't this site been shut down by the government?

A: Doing so would prove that the government is hiding something.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Freedom of speech is the main reason. You can spread your lies here and not have to worry about the consequences. Try teaching this crap to people at school however, i hope you would face a lot of fierce opposition from experts and achedemics who actually follow scientific method. Scientific method is as follows: Observation -> Hypothosis -> Prediction -> Experimentation -> Conclusion. Your methods are usually like this: Conclusion.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Q: No way could the government possibly guard the entire Ice Wall! It would take too many men! Millions of men!

A: Not really. You could do it with a few hundred and some basic equipment.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Nope it would require millions, as shown on that thread by critical thinkers. And anyway, what would they do with someone who saw it? Kill them? Could this explain the Bermuda triangle? lol[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Q: Why is NASA's space shuttle runway curved?

A: It was specially constructed by NASA to be so. After all NASA are at the heart of the conspiracy.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]It's curved? And that proves?[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The Earth in space[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Q: "What is the circumference and diameter of the Earth?"

A: "Circumference: 78225 miles, Diameter: 24,900 miles [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]24, 902[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]miles circumference, 7, 926 mile diameter, both at equator.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Q: "What about the stars, sun and moon and other planets? Are they flat too? What are they made of?"

A: The sun and moon, each 32 miles in diameter, circle Earth at a height of 3000 miles at its equator, located midway between the North Pole and the ice wall. Each functions similar to a "spotlight," with the sun radiating "hot light," the moon "cold light." As they are spotlights, they only give light out over a certain are which explains why some parts of the Earth are dark when others are light. Their apparent rising and setting are caused by optical illusions.

In the "accelerating upwards" model, the stars, sun and moon are also accelerating upwards.

The stars are about as far as San Francisco is from Boston. (3100 miles)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Ok lets start with the sun, to sustain fusion, the sun would need to be a lot larger and massive than 32 mile diameter. To create the pressure needed for atoms to fuse, you need a lot of force, this force is provided by gravity and its effect on the mass of the sun, which is 1.4 million km in diameter btw. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The moon is 3474 miles in diameter.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The rest is also complete and utter nonsense. What is this “hot light” and “cold light” codswallop you speak of? Are you seriously suggesting that the moon has its own source of light? Are you implying that hot light hits us from the sun? And not photons which carry kinetic energy which hit other particles and cause the earth to heat up?[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Oh and if stars were that close to us, we would not be alive, since the temperature would be too hot for earth to stay solid, it would all be molten magma.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    Q: "Please explain sunrises/sunsets."

A: It's a perspective effect. Really, the sun is just getting farther away; it looks like it disappears because everything gets smaller and eventually disappears as it gets farther away.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]No actually its the horizon blocking out the sun, you cannot see around corners, or in this case the curvature of earth.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Q: "Why are other celestial bodies round but not the Earth?"

A: The Earth is not one of the other planets. The Earth is special and unlike the other bodies in numerous ways.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Out of all the millions upon millions of planets we know of in existance, earth is the only flat one. That makes perfect logical sense. You are special too, unlike the other people, in numerous ways.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Q: "What about satellites? How do they orbit the Earth?"

A: Since sustained spaceflight is not possible, satellites can't orbit the Earth. The signals we supposedly receive from them are either broadcast from towers or any number of possible pseudolites.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Sustained spaceflight is indeed possible, as has been proven many times. The moon has managed to orbit the earth for approx the same amount of time earth has existed, what makes you think other objects can't? Anyone with sky tv will attest to needing to have a satellite dish pointed at the sky, and not a radio tower. Im guessing a pseudolite is one of those imaginary satelites which just hovers in the atmosphere, since it is less dense than even the lowest density part of the atmosphere.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Q: "What's underneath the Earth?" aka "What's on the bottom?" aka "What's on the other side?"

A: This is unknown. Some believe it to be just rocks, others believe the Earth rests on the back of four elephants and a turtle.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Whats on the other side of earth? Depends on your location on the globe. Who feeds these elephants? Will they not freeze to death at almost absolute zero? Do they not breath? What if one of them died? Or got sick of carrying the earth? [/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Q: "What about gravity?"

A: The Earth is accelerating upwards at 1g (9.8m/s^2) along with every star, sun and moon in the universe. This produces the same effect as gravity.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]How very convinient. I guess newton and einstien were wrong, and the people before them, who believed in gods and alchemy were right. Here is one equation which will completely blow your mind: F = MA. Thats right, acceleration requires a force, if mass is constant, force and acceleration are equivelent. Where exactly is this force coming from? The Turtle?[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Q: "Isn't this version of gravity flawed? Wouldn't planes/helicopters/paragliders crash into the Earth as the Earth rises up to them?"

A: No. By the same argument, we could ask why planes/helicopters/paragliders don't crash into the Earth as they accelerate down towards them. The reason that planes do not crash is that their wings produce lift, which, when the rate of acceleration upwards equals that of gravity's pull downwards, causes them to remain at a constant altitude.

The same thing happens if the Earth is moving up. The plane is accelerating upwards at the same rate as the Earth, which means the distance between them does not change. Therefore, the plane stays at the same height and does not crash.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Lets hope some meteors dont smash into us while we are rising up forever, constantly getting faster and faster. Oh wait i guess meteors must be part of the conspiracy too, or travelling downwards against this force which moves the earth, and stars, and the moon, and other stuff upwards at this lovely rate, which just so happens to coincide with an actual scientists calculation of gravity on earth. I like how you pick and choose parts you like from science, without ever giving anything back. It's kinda like stealing a Shakespeare play and changing all the main characters names.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    Q: "Doesn't this mean we'd be traveling faster than the speed of light, which is impossible?"

A: The equations of Special Relativity prevent an object from accelerating to the speed of light. Due to this restriction, these equations prove that an object can accelerate at a constant rate forever, and never reach the speed of light. For an in depth explanation: Click here.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Actually to maintain an acceleration at a constant rate forever would require a lot of force, which you still havent explained.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    Q: "If the world was really flat, what would happen if you jump off the disc's edge?"

A: You would enter an inertial reference frame, moving at a constant velocity in the direction the Earth was moving before you jumped. The Earth would continue accelerating upwards past you at a rate of 1g, so it would appear to you that you were falling into space.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]If the earth was really flat you would probably want to consider getting your head checked before jumping off anything. Obviously if the magic disk is flying upwards, and accelerating upwards, it would carry on its way without you. Thats just common sense.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    Q: "If the Earth was indeed a flat disc, wouldn't the whole planet crunch up into itself and eventually transform into a ball?"

A1: If the Earth generated a gravitational field, yes, it would eventually happen, after a billion years maybe. FE assumes that the Earth does not generate a gravitational field. What we know as 'gravity' is provided by the acceleration of the earth. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Why does it not? Where is the reasoning behind earth not having mass and gravity? Gravity is “provided” by the mass of the earth, it is one of the weak forces.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

A2: There is a counter-mass which pulls the Earth back into a disc shape.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The elephants and tortoise i assume.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Q: "Why does gravity vary with altitude?"

A: The moon and stars have a slight gravitational pull.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Wrong again, fucktard. Gravity varies with altitude due to weakening of the gravational field the further you get away from the centre of mass. Since the core of earth is densist, the centre of gravity is roughly speaking the centre of earth. The further you get from this, the less of an effect gravity has. Draw a circle, intersect it 8 times or 16 times eaqually, this will be a model of earth. Those lines represent gravity, the closer the lines are, the more powerful the gravitational force. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Q: Follow-up to previous question: How is it that the Earth does not have a gravitational pull, but stars and the moon do?

A: This argument is a non sequitur. You might as well ask, "How is it that snakes do not have legs, but dogs and cats do?" Snakes are not dogs or cats. The Earth is not a star or the moon. It doesn't follow that each must have exactly the properties of the others, and no more.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Snakes, dogs and cats all live on the same planet and descended at some point from a common ancestor. Unless you are going to refute evolution along with gravity. Earth is essentially the same as the moon, since it is made from the same rock. The real answer is, earth does have a gravitational pull, why would it be any different to anything with mass?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Geography[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Q: Do you have a map?

A: See this one, created by one of our members. There is also this map attributed to a person named Wilbur Voliva, and another by Heinrich Scherer.
    Also, there is Cosmas Indicopleustes' world picture, 6 th century in the Christian Topography.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Heres a good one, google earth. 6th centuary? Christian? Sorry i didn't realise you had such cannon evidence for your cause.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    Q: Exactly what shape is the Earth if it's flat? Square or circle?

A: Circle, like in the UN logo, however, the earth is NOT 2D, it is in the shape of a cylinder.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The shape of a cylinder? Any particular reason? I would have gone for a triangle or a star shape. I guess the cylinder shape explains the roundish shadow on the moon when its not a full one (ie most of the time).
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    Q: "Why doesn't water run off the Earth?"

A: There is a vast ice wall that keeps the water where it is. The ice wall is roughly 150ft high. This also explains why you can find a vast plane of ice when you travel south.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Which way is south again? Lets hope global warming doesn't melt it, or we would lose all our oceans. The wall must be pretty thick to hold all that water in without cracking.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Antarctica as a continent does not exist.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Yes it does.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Q: "How does global warming affect the ice wall?"

A1: The Ice Wall is really a mountain range. It just happens to be covered in ice and snow.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Always one move ahead i see, you guys really have thought of everything. How exactly were the mountains formed right on the edge? Im guessing you don't have plate techtonics on a flat earth to even form them anyway.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

A2: Global Warming doesn't happen. It and its counter-theory (Global Cooling) are effects that cancel each other out. Remember, these "greenhouse gasses" can reflect heat back out into space as well as keep it on Earth. Yes, there are recorded rises in temperature, but the only records we have go back, at most, around 150 years. This is very likely an occurrence that happens every [x>150] years, that's happened before (perhaps many times), and that the Earth has thus survived before. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Heat is not reflected back into space by CO2 you absolute fucking moron (heat, or conduction, requires a medium to travel through). Someone with your apparent lack of understanding for basic physics should not even be discussing whether or not the earth is heating or cooling; it would be like miss world discussing quantum physics to stephen hawking. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Q: "What about tides?"

A: The tides exist due to a slight see-saw effect on the earth. As it goes back and forth, the water rushes to the side that is lower. Note, this is a very slight wobble. Remember, these wobbles are created by very minor earthquakes. They keep the tides in check. Notice that large earthquakes result in large tides or "tsunami". [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Funny how tides just happen to coincide with the moons movements.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Q : "Why is the North pole colder than the equator?"

A: The sun circles over the equator, thus the poles don't receive the same intensity of light.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Nothing to do with the fact that it gets less sun light due to the tilt of earth and the ice reflecting a lot of the photons which would otherwise have heated it up?[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Q: "How do volcanic eruptions happen?"

A: The Earth is thick enough to have a core of molten lava. Once there's too much of it in too confined a space, it finds its way out, just like the water will come out of a full bottle if you squeeze it too hard.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
    Q: "What about time zones?"

A: The sun is a spotlight which shines light on a concentrated area, so not everywhere on Earth will be lit at once. Times zones exist so that everyone's clock will be at 12:00 around the time the sun is approximately directly overhead.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Earth rotates 360 degrees once per 24 hours, meaning not everywhere can be lit up at once.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Q: "What about Lunar Eclipses"

(Possible A) The moon isn't a spotlight; it glows with light from the sun, reflected off the Earth. Different parts of the Earth are more reflective than others (the seas, the polar cap, the ice wall, for example). Sometimes, the position of the sun (which is a spotlight) means that only very low-reflective or non-reflective parts of the Earth's surface are illuminated, so the moon is abnormally dark. This could potentially explain lunar phases as well. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“with the sun radiating "hot light," the moon "cold light." As they are spotlights, they only give light out over a certain are which explains why some parts of the Earth are dark when others are light.” Blatent contradiction from earlier when you said that the moon was effectively a spotlight with its own light.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Q: "How come the travel time by air from South America to New Zealand, via the polar route, is SHORTER than the travel time going North first and then South again?"

A: (Presumed answer: The airline pilots are misled by their GPS, or are deliberately conspiring to make it appear that the flights take different times) [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]What a waste of fuel, do you really think that companies would just throw money away like that?[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Q: "How can a compass work on a Flat Earth?"

A: The magnetic field is generated in the same fashion as with the RE. Thus, the magnetic south pole is near the geographic north pole, just like on the RE. The magnetic north pole is on the underside of the Earth. The Ice Wall is not the south pole, but acts as it, as it is the furthest from the center of the earth that you can follow the magnetic field. The field is vertical in this area, accounting for the aurora australis.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]What a crock of shit. Stop bastardising physics and accounting things as part of your theory without evidence.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Q: "When traveling in a straight direction, you will always reach the same point on the globe from where you started. How can this happen if the world is flat?"

A: You need to have evidence for this to be true. Also, define "straight." Remember, the northern point on the compass is, under most circumstances (unless near the centre or deep in the ice wall), pointing toward the centre of the Earth. Therefore, if you follow your compass due east or due west, ending up at the same point you started from, you've just gone around the world in a circle.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Use my GPS if you want to be sure, but i can assure you, you will end up where u started from walking in a straight line. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Q: If you go directly south won't you eventually fall off the edge of the Earth?

A: Yes, you will. In order to use this fact as proof you need to record a video of someone flying directly south around the world without falling off the edge. Furthermore you need to prove that your navigational equipment allows you to travel directly south without deviating.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]How about you prove it? Its your crazy theory remember. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    Q: How come when I flush my toilet in the northern hemisphere it goes counterclockwise but I have this friend in Australia and when he flushes it goes clockwise?

You're mistaken. On a round Earth, the Coriolis effect adds at most one (counter)clockwise rotation per day; fewer as you get closer to the equator. The water in your toilet/sink/bathtub/funnel spins much faster than that (probably at least once per minute, or 1440 times per day) so the additional/lost rotation from the Coriolis effect wouldn't be noticed.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Nope its been proven, its not a mistake.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Q: How do seasons work?

The radius of the sun's orbit around the Earth's axis symmetry varies throughout the year, being smallest when summer is in the northern annulus and largest when it is summer in the southern annulus.

Here are some very good diagrams of seasons on the flat Earth. The first is by thedigitalnomad:
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][​IMG][/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    and the second is by Erasmus:
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][​IMG][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Those images are faked, please refer to the FAQ.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Religion[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Q: "Are most or all FE's Biblical literalists, who feel like their religious belief system would be threatened by a round (i.e. spherical) earth, or are there any atheists/agnostics who are FE's as well?"

A: Not all FE's are biblical literalists. This poll has more details: Poll
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Just most of them. You see, believing in something with no evidence lends itself well to the sort of person who lacks critical thinking ablities to question how things work and their understandings of suck workings.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

20. #20 Zylark, Sep 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2008
    And the award for understatement of the year goes to...

(drumroll)

THE FLAT EARTH SOCIETY!!!!!!!!

YAY!

(cue confetti)

Hehehe. Great post G-Man :D