Is the difference between Blu-Ray and DVD that noticable?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by grizzlybearman, Jul 7, 2012.

1. I have an Xbox 360 so I've never really bought a Blu-Ray player.

I was going to buy Game of Thrones on DVD but I'm thinking maybe I should just pick it up for blu-ray and buy a blu-ray player.

Do any of you guys have any input? Is Blu-Ray like super beautiful or some shit or does it just have more storage? I'd be putting it on the 32 inch lcd in my room.

Is DVD gonna be outdated soon?:confused: Worth it?

2. It is a huge difference and totally worth it imo.

3. You will need a nice ass tv to get the true blue ray effect i bet.

4. yeah I wonder if it's similar to how 1080p works where on my 32 it won't make a difference..

too lazy to google search haha

5. Go for the blu-ray. It is way better. Especially now that movies are starting to be made in high-def specifically for blu-ray/3D. But don't buy a standalone blu-ray player. Just get a ps3. I have a 32" Haier and I can definitely see the difference between blu-ray and dvd. I got a movie that came with a dvd and blu-ray, and the blu-ray is miles better.

6. It's like the difference between being sober and being high.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HFYa-vEl3Y]Lupe Fiasco - Hi-Definition - YouTube[/ame]

7. Is your LCD HD? If it is bluray should look much better as long as you use an HDMI cable, or the green, blue, red ones.

8. Honestly, on a 32" LCD, its not going to make a big difference (better if your 32 is true 1080p). Yes, you will notice a difference, but the "big" draw for blu-ray is more 40" and up.
    Blu-ray also makes a big difference in audio. If you have the right audio components, blu-ray can offer uncompressed audio formats!

It still couldn't hurt getting a blu-ray if you really want one. They will all play (even upconvert), all DVD movies and they not expensive anymore. Don't forget to pick up an HDMI cable (Don't go for the expensive "name brand") as well.

Let me know if you have any questions, this is my area of expertise.

9. Somewhere on GC, is a post recommending one should see the movie WALL-E
    I checked it out, a guy showed up at my door with the dvd, but 5 minutes later the Blu ray knocked on the door, so we compared....OH brother there is no comparison, although some or ALL of the movie is animated the quality is mind blowing and I hadn't touched MJ all day, I sat 6" of my 47" 1080 screen and it was still a clear picture.....minblow'in:love:
    Upgrade that 32" to a bigger toy just for the quality

peace
    "V"

10. Cool, thank you guys. I'm probably going to buy a PS3, but I'm also in a bind because I feel like Microsoft or Sony are about to release the next gen consoles, most likely ones that include blu-ray players.

but yeah, my TV is a 1080p 32 inch Sony LCD, so it sounds like I might as well get a blu-ray player now. But damn, if they tell me a next gen console is coming out soon I'm gonna flip..And I'd like to upgrade this TV but I have no way to sell it (Craigslist sketchy), it's a solid TV and a 40 inch may be too big for my room. I don't have a living room...yet..haha

11. It's very noticeable, I got a new 60' LG HDTV and when I play DVD's on it, it really looks like shit. Blu-ray is king.

12. It's a vast difference. You'll never want to watch anything in standard definition again.