is the dead hour thread broke

Discussion in 'General' started by kbubb91, Aug 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. Lmao that's how I feel. I barely post now, the DH was the only place I'd post because it was the only place worth a damn.

2. im drunk as fuck and have nowhere else to go :cry::cry::cry::cry:

3. The few days in the runup to DH getting reviewed/deleted, I actually said to myself "where'd Ken go, I wish he'd post in here more." I'm totally not creepy :p

4. It's not her fault and there's no reason why she should feel bad. She did not contact a moderator and put it under review.

But anyway threads like these will probably make the mods decide not to let Royksopp make another one.

If we stop panicking and just wait and see there's more of a chance we will get it back.

5. If only it was that easy to moderate a thread with over 5500 pages

6. ah so thats why the dead hour hasnt been showing up

7. either way it needed deleting it was huge taking up space on server or whatevs.. old forum i went on used to delete around 500 pages n start a v2,3,4 etc

8. how about we just call the next one GC chat, cause thats exactly what the dead hour thread was

9. Anyone else down to start an mIRC channel with me? (do we already have one for GC?)

10. gc has been going since dec 2004 interesting didnt know that Hxcurt

11. Pretty sure it's been longer than that, as well. I joined fairly late I think.

12. Nope it's been going since 1999, the forums and the shop officially opened in 2000 i think.

I have seen members that joined in 2001. SJ joined in 2000 so i'm guessing it started back then :smoke:

13. i made a replacement thread, under general on chill out zone

14. #34 Verdurous, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2011
    I'm really bummed I wasn't there to help steer the conversation in a better direction now. Stupid college sucking up all my time... :cry:
    So, the solution to that would be to replace the DH thread with a new thread, and just continue to reset it after it gets to big, not delete it and destroy one of the greatest features of GC, which differentiates it and makes it better than its competitors. Plus, there are other comparatively large threads that continue to remain open without an issue and they're getting new servers, which could support the growth of the DH thread anyway. It's not that slow yet.
    Probably not helping at all............. :(
    There weren't that many people who participated in the weird sexy talk, though were there? I know I never did and I've only been gone like a couple days or something. I know it wasn't happening throughout all 5500 pages.

There are users who like to hang in there, myself included, who wouldn't tolerate that kind of talk either if there were a rule, so we could report posts that broke that rule, and then mods would only have to keep and eye out for the DH thread in the reported threads.

Once the instigators are given infractions if they keep derailing the thread, they'll probably get the clue and stop, otherwise you'll be able to ban them without question and the regular users can go back to their home.

I think this method of using other users' personal responsibility towards GC within the thread to help moderate (ROYKSOPP :hello:) has helped a lot in the past and saved this thread before, so I'm not sure why it wouldn't work again. I think that in deciding to close the thread permanently, you would be punishing a plethora of upstanding users, when it was only a few users who actually ruined the quality of the thread and could be punished individually instead.

Whenever I participated in the dead hours thread, I always really appreciated the positive vibe found in there. When I joined and up until recently, it was definitely one of Grasscity's greatest features. To just up and delete such a thing is pretty tragic in my eyes, which is why I deeply appreciate that it's only under review. Please don't decide to delete it, though. There's no way that could be healthy for the vibe here. It's just that the vibe within the thread needs to be replenished. (Reopening it after closing it like this should definitely get the point across, like it has before, and I doubt the problem will continue because no one will tolerate it.)

15. KenjaminK, look man, I totally hear ya and in theory, that's a pretty easy way to handle it.

Unfortunately, rule-breaking tends to lead to more rule-breaking. In threads about a specific topic, it doesn't move as fast, resulting in less rule-breaking posts and making it easier for us to jump in and handle it.

In a chat thread like Dead Hours, things move so fast that one person makes a rule-breaking post, people respond to it, and suddenly there's handful of rule-breaking posts scattered over 10 pages in less than a few hours. :poke:

That's not to say it's impossible, but when the few mods we have are already stretched thin as it is, when it's already difficult to even deal with every single reported post we get per day, a chat thread like Dead Hours adds a whole lot more work.

That's not to say that it won't come back, I'm not saying that at all. Just saying it's not quite as easy as people make it out to be when you're on this side of things. :p

Anyway, as I've said way too many times lately, the Dead Hours thread is under review. That's all, just under review.

And no, it's not the OPs fault, so stop blaming him and start blaming the people that caused the thread to have to be reviewed in the first place. :poke:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.