Is Switching bulb types during flowering bad?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by kkjones714, Oct 3, 2013.

1. I wanted to see the difference of flowering under a Mh bulb. I have then under a 400w hps now. Will the plant start to grow different if I switch the bulb to mh my hps is damaged it's not as bright as before. I want to switch while I order a new bulb. Would that change the plant a lot?

Sent from my HTC One using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. #2 bananamber, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2013
    Depends. How many watts is your MH? Metal halide bulbs don't put out as many lumens/watt as HPS. Other than the lumen difference, there won't be any noticeable changes. If you're worried about stress, don't be. Swapping from HPS to MH won't stress them out at all.

It's perfectly fine to use the MH as a holdover until you get your new HPS or you can go to harvest on MH. Yield may take a small hit depending on how far into flowering you are.

3. The best way of flowering is to change from a mh when the buds start to forum, over to a hps

its alway given me the best results when I have done it

4. If you want the best of both for flowering get a dual spectrum bulb. Like a 1000 watt dual spectrum bulb will have a 600 watts HPS thingy in it along with a 400 watt MH thingy in it. Outdoors they get both spectrums of light. In veg they get more blue then red and in flowering they get more red then blue light spectrum. Other then that using just a MH bulb till you get a new HPS bulb wont do any harm. They might not stretch as much as they were under the HPS bulb while using the MH.