Is Stuttering Caused by a Lack of Breath Control?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by evisu, Dec 5, 2011.

1. One day while I was high...I started thinking about why people stutter. I sometimes stutter myself so I tried to replicate it as naturally as possible and that's when i realized my breathing pattern. Whenever I would stutter, I felt as if my "breath" was stuttering as well. I did it again this time without actually talking, just breathing and I realized that my breathing was indeed stopping and going.

That's when I thought to myself "what if stuttering was caused by a lack of breath control?". I mean, I don't have any research to back this up but I truly do feel as if this is the case. Perhaps it may not be directly related to the act of breathing; maybe the part of the brain that controls breathing patterns is also the same part that controls the speech patterns specifically regarding stuttering?

Is my theory plausible?

2. It isn't so much as a lack of breath, people who do stutter often have a neurological problem where the left and right side of the brain do not connect properly.

3. Speech is done by neural signals to the jaw muscles/vocal chords/lip muscles/tongue. Neurons are what receive the signals from the cells in your body saying "hey, we need oxygen".

So the same neurons in the brain responsible for speech may not be responsible for breath function, but it is the network of these cells that cause our conscious awareness so they are still connected.

As to what actually causes stuttering, I'm not sure, but it has to be some kind of miscommunication between cells/neuron function.

4. Your theory is plausible, and used by some therapists as a way of helping sufferers. But it's not about breathing itself, that's a symptom, not a cause. Some stutterers respond to it extremely well (so good call), as it gives them time to order words in their minds.

I used to stutter at times when I was child and went through a few periods of it growing up. There are a couple of mechanisms behind it, and they seem to be linked to dyslexia, (which I have too) and other sound/word ordering systems in the brain. For example, if I were to have to hand write the word 'haddock' I would accidentally begin with the letter 'D' as it's the strongest sound in the word, so I'd write it first. In my form of stuttering, when I had it, I would again begin the strongest sound in the word instead of its first and get locked on that sound and be unable to break free. I would also get stuck on things that began with, or had as a second letter, 'M', 'N' or 'P'. But stuttering has a few different types and causes.

MelT

5. #5 Puffpuffsmile, Dec 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2011
    Hi there, thanks for the thread evisu. :)

Well, i happen to have a stutter which ranges from non-existent to other degrees. I wish i knew the cause of stuttering so i get rid of it.

I do not breathe correctly while talking to someone that's true. That being said, when talking to someone i feel that, even if i take the time to breathe correctly (i.e inhale enough before talking), i'll stutter anyway. As a consequence, i either choose another word (an "easier word") sometimes. If i cannot do that, i'll say the word i do not wanna say and sound funny, so you know, i'd say it's more of a psychological thing. A lot of stutterers (me included) do not stutter or stutter WAY less when they're alone but struggle when they have to talk to someone, even on the phone.

6. Yes.

Ugh, lemme explain my situation.

3/4 of my heart is functional, causes brain to over work, involuntary systems are pushed higher resulting in my hyperactive thyroid issues.

Basically I stutter because my lungs take in and release MUCH faster than average person. One benefit, I come up with retorts very quickly, problem solve very quickly, extreme balance (my body adjusts quick).

Stuttering sucks tho for dating...

7. I went through a temporary phase of stuttering. It was when my mind was overactive and hyperaware. I cared so much about what I would say in conversation that it caused me to always second-guess myself, instead of just letting my words flow freely. Which caused stuttering.

8. #8 DBV, Dec 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2011
    Yea, I think it has more of a link with anxiety (social anxiety in particular). I've actually helped a few friends with their stuttering through meditation, but I think it just depends what's causing for the person.

9. Yes, I have spoken to many people and they all can say that anxiety does take a part in causing breakage in fluidity. I always tell people to have outstanding confidence in yourself that you will speak fluidly, and in general be confident in who you are as a person.
    Some people might think that to get over the anxiety issue they need to use medication, but always one builds a tolerance to it and in the end it will only be a temporary fix, if anything.

Confidence is key :)

10. I know this probably doesn't pertain to you, but my ex has a 4 year old she was giving multivitamins too. He loves to talk and talk and talk, but began to develop a stuttering problem. Only major change was the multivitamins, so she stopped giving them to him and said his stuttering went away for the most part the first day after (this was 2 days ago). A lot of people accuse red 40 of doing shit like that, and that was in the multivitamin. They add that shit to make it look more appealing to kids, but it's pointless and apparently harmful.

I mean they test these dyes for safety, but still. Way I look at it, everything you throw into your body has potential to effect something. Safe for one person doesn't mean safe for the next.

If anyone is curious, I'll get an update from my ex in a few days and see how he is since it was cut out.

11. Sorry for looking like i'm derailing the thread but i have a question for those who smoke pot and stutter. Do you guys stutter less when you're high ? I've never consumed cannabis so i cannot know how i would react to it, but yeah i'm wondering, since we talked anxiety in this thread.

12. It's the same for me. Alcohol causes more stuttering for me.