Is space the medium for light? new experiment

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by trevorjohnson32, Dec 10, 2020.

1. I have an exciting new experiment to test for space being the medium for light waves. It is similar to the famous Michelson and Morley experiment.

The experiment utilizes a Femto camera. A Femto camera takes a trillion frames per second and is capable of capturing light in slow motion as it leaves its source. The link below is a video of just that. By pausing the video where light has expanded into s sphere, one can then measure for space 'moving past' just as they did in the M&M experiment. If space is in fact the medium for light one would expect to be able to measure for the slight difference in speed along different directions in a paused image of the Femto camera.

When I measured with a ruler on the screen I did in fact find that light was travelling faster by a few mm per 25 cm in one direction over the other depending on how you want to look at it.

All waves are a denser part of a medium spreading out to a less dense part of that medium, so light is just that and its medium is space.

• Like Like x 2
  2. I would say lights medium is darkness over space?

3. Yes sort of I would say that space is undisturbed light that when a wave travels through it illumination to objects occurrs.

4. What disturbs the light waves.

5. The intial disturbance omes form breaking molecule structures in say wood that releases waves of energy as we see in fire. THtat or fusion shakes lose a density from the atoms that fuse.

6. Space dust Reflects/scatters electromagnetic radiation . actually making ( light waves ) into electromagnetic polarized waves or radiation.
    Also Clouds defuse/reflect and refract light or electromagnetic radiation .
    Polarized light is a product of light being
    reflected
    refracted
    scattered
    or emitted which is normally come from CFL only .
    But all man made light IMO is Polarized electromagnetic radiation .
    Because the light passes through the lens and reflective hood .

I studied photography is the only reason know this stuff.

Not all this is the same ..

• Like Like x 1
  7. Nice reply! You are a deep thinker. Can you point to where your knowledge in photography is relevant in layman's terms?

8. Are you saying it takes a disturbance for the light to be visible to the key.

9. #9 Smingz, Dec 27, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
    Now it makes a bit more sense as darkness isn't a thing in itself, but more a state being eg, the absence of light or visible light. Either way its interesting

10. Are you saying that undisturbed light is the source of space matter?

11. #11 Smingz, Dec 27, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
    I can imagine light beaming from planets like the sun expanding matter by giving the emptiness of space substance.

12. What do you mean by 'space matter'?

13. What 'key'? The space medium must be disturbed in order for there to be light.

14. Autocorrect meant eye

15. When a wave of light hits an object it illuminates the electron shell, basic chemsitry. once illuminated the objects are seen by the eye. is that what you meant?

16. at the smallest level all "light" consists of photons that move with energy. "light", e.g. photons, is moving all around whether we see it or not. blackness is the absence of visible light, not the absence of "light" itself. in that sense space is light, it's just light we cannot see.

i didn't know about the camera you mentioned and that is quite fascinating. the inventor of that camera has now invented one that operates at 10+ trillion fps and it has captured images of "things" previously unseen in blackness!

fascinating. cheers!

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. i love how wide your breadth of knowledge is possum fuck yeah man. I think space-time is the medium that allows all spectra(x-ray, gamma, UV, visible, etc.) of light to pass through it not the spectra being the medium the spectra itself moves through. Even though from the photons perspective the trip from the other side of the universe to your eye was instantaneous.

• Like Like x 1
  18. But i thought light moves at the same speed for all viewers regardless of your relative perspective.
    Great post and idea.

19. Well if you are moving in the direction that you shine a light then it would appear to be going slower in front of you and faster behind you, but regardless of the perspective the light is still moving at a constant speed, it just appears to be going slower in front of you. That is how we get red shift and blue shift from stars.

• Like Like x 1
  20. That makes no sense