Is she a lost cause already?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Revjim, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Well this isn't the way I wanted my first post/thread to go. This is my first grow and its been in the making for a few months. I built my own grow cabinet and I was going to post that a grow journal this week, but I have hit a roadblock very early.

I germ'd in the paper towel, cable box method. She popped her taproot Friday 11/11. I put her in my rockwool cube which soaked for 24 hours + in Ph'd water after a "baseball pitch" method of water ringing, and into a homemade humidity dome on a heater mat. She sprouted from the surface yesterday 11/12 in the AM and by noon yesterday I had her in my grow closet under the lights with the dome top on and off in cycles since I couldnt find a decisive answer to that decision.

The seed is a WoS Afghan Kush Ryder and my setup is going to be a Bubble Bucket DWC hence the rockwool starting.

This is he this morning 11/12 the little leaves are yellowing with a dark rim around the outside of the leaf, and this super tiny baby leaves in the middle are also yellowing.

[​IMG]

Is she a lost cause or do you think she can pull thru? I gently squeezed the cube and a decent amount of water came out, which bummed me out since I did think I did a good job with the ringing out the water but I guess not, it wasnt sopping but a squeeze got about a Tblspn of water out.

Its a bummer because I have lurked and read this forum for months, took the time to get all my materials together and build my setup and made sure al lthe pieces are in order, and I dont know if Im being a nervous first time parent or what lol.

Any information or help would be greatly appreciated

2. i dont know too much about growing but i dont see how a plant can grow in a sponge

3. It's rockwool please don't reply if your a uneducated troll thanks.

4. #4 JoelVent, Nov 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2011
    [quote name='"KingStun10"']i dont know too much about growing but i dont see how a plant can grow in a sponge[/quote]

Hah..

5. The heat is/was good at about 70-75. I have a decent amount of light on her at about 6 inches away I have a brand new Gen3 UFO led from HTG not the cheap ones, and at about 4 inches away she is surrounded by 4 26w 6500k CFL's inside my cabinet that's fully mylar'd and vented very well.

6. What was the pH used on the rockwool?

7. I soaked the RW in 5.5 for about 24hrs, it spiked back up half way thru and ph'd the water again.

Someone else told me it is because of a lack of nutes? Now I thought for the first few days you didnt need nutes.

8. do you guys think she will pull thru or should I germ another?

9. You shouldn't need nutes. But your also in a nute-less medium. Were you in good soil you wouldnt need nutes for the first month.
    Your seedling should start using energy from its cotyledons, since theres nothing in the rockwool it can use; that MAY be the yellowing.
    I'd just give it time and as soon as you can transplant to its DWC system with some very slight nutes in solution.
    Maybe get temp up to 80 degrees?

10. Will do, Should I put the dome back on to keep humidity in?

The weird thing is, before I germ'd her, I practiced the paper towel method with a old old bag seed I had and after she germ'd I threw it into my bamboo house plant that lives in my kitchen in gravel with tap water and that seed sprouted out of the water and is still semi alive and healthier looking sitting in water that's a ph of 8 and no light lol.

I hope this guy pulls thru since seeds aren't cheap and it took me a month getting all my grow gear and building my cabinet I wanna get this girl healthy and into the dwc ASAP lol

11. You don't need to dome if shes got a root, and the rockwool is kept moist. It would just promote mold/moldew, than help, at this point.

Well, it could be you just got unlucky and got a bad seed; what you described on the bagseed is not at all too crazy of a happenstance. In the wild these things are supposed to germinate off rainwater, which is usually too acidic now, and break hardpacked soil. If they can survive that, they can survive without all our loving administrations.

Seeds are NOT cheap; that's why I'm perfectly fine growing my own crosses :p
    Bagseed grown well will not give you bagseed back

12. do you think she will pull thru? I wish I could take a better picture, the iphone4 camera is good but it wont focus on something so small too well.

Should I flush it with more ph'd water in hopes it was just the ph maybe spiking back up from the rockwool or just play the waiting game?

13. [quote name='"Revjim"']do you think she will pull thru? I wish I could take a better picture, the iphone4 camera is good but it wont focus on something so small too well.

Should I flush it with more ph'd water in hopes it was just the ph maybe spiking back up from the rockwool or just play the waiting game?[/quote]

Just wait. Only time will tell. Less is more.

14. Well she didn't die and here she is at day 7 (today) I have her in my bubble bucket dwc now, I'm using half strength GH nutes and I'm worried she isn't as tall as she should be at 7 days? Or am I just paranoid lol.

image-979392068.png

image-1513956658.png

15. The Mylar in the Nettie pot is because I didn't want light into the water res to prevent any problems, once she's taller I will fill with the rest of my hydroton

16. 8 days old, Should she be taller at this point? I noticed my rockwool was soaked, even tho my bubble bucket water level was about a inch under the net pot and I guess the bubble splash was soaking her. I don't know if that stunted the growth or something. Also the roots have yet to emerge from the bottom of the rockwool

image-3156503866.png

17. Does anyone else think she is short for 9 days old? It's a Afghan Kush Ryder also btw.

18. I don't think there is anything wrong except for the fact that you must learn some patience. It's your first shot you cannot expect to have a perfect grow from start to finish, and it's the mistakes that you make now that will improve your future grows. The plant wants to live so as long as nothing drastic is done to it, the plant will keep on growing.

The strain could just have it in it's genetics that it is a slow starter or that it doesn't get tall, I am not sure on that. But also it looks like maybe it was stunted a bit, but nothing that cannot be recovered from. Looks like maybe a bit too much water because they are droopier than would be desired. But you are still just vegging so there is a lot of leeway for error still because your plant can easily recover. It's the flowering cycle you want to nail the best because that is what will most effect your buds in terms of weight and potency.

My solution? Slow down the watering a bit and just let the thing grow. It can be slow at times if conditions aren't ideal but will spurt up when you get it closer to what they want.

19. Cool thanks, I did lower the water in my res to about 2 inches below the net pot so water doesn't splash up as much.