Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Is replacing alcohol with pot possible?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by RookOR, Oct 10, 2015.

1. then you should pay more attention..I also make fun of people when they try to insult me.
    [​IMG]

2. #22 Daydr33mer, Oct 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2015
    I gave up drinking when I started smoking regularly.
    For me the pros of smoking instead of drinking are, it makes me feel fucking awesome instead of just drunk and groggy. I'm still fully functional most of the time and can go out and do the shopping and walk the dog etc without being socially disruptive. I've never had a hangover since I stopped drinking [​IMG] sometimes I do feel a bit faded the next day at work if I smoked like a chimney the night before but never any headaches or vomiting, I usually wake up feeling great.
    Something that a lot of people overlook is how many calories are in alcohol. It's worse than drinking soda in most circumstances. Weed has pretty much zero calories and doesn't make me feel bloated or need to visit the toilet regularly.
    Weed is also so much cheaper than alcohol for me.
    The pros of smoking usually outweigh the cons and when it comes to drinking usually there are more cons than pros.

3. Alcoholism is probably the hardest addiction to break if you discount nicotine. Last I would say is gambling. But transferring your alcohol addiction to a non-liquid substance would be like going from eating McDonald's every day for your whole pre-adult life to declaring vegan the rest of your life. Good luck, and God speed!

Weed is better.

[​IMG]

4. Excellent information (excellent, but unuseful observation from the guy who noted my lack of knowledge about pot - but hey, whatever floats your boat). I'll be sure to post my experiences! Thanks for helping a newbie out!

5. Hi, quick update for all interested...

Purchased a pre roll. Gotta say, Pot is pretty nice. I've started out slow: 2-5 hits per session.

In the event is helps someone reading this that has a similar question, here are my "findings". The feeling varies between amazing and (I'm comparing to alcohol) the point at which you cross over between feeling great and "oh man, I may have drank too much". The difference is clarity - you can keep a much clearer head. You don't feel like your out of control.

The pros:
    -Nice, pleasant feeling. I could probably turn this into a much longer description, but "pleasant" pretty much sums it up.
    -Clearer headed buzz.
    -No after effects.

The cons:
    -You smell like smoke. Might not be an issue for some, but I plan on exploring edibles, tincture, etc.
    -Lung/throat irritation. It was worst my first time, but has gotten much better since with no effects experienced the last few times.
    -Dry mouth.
    -Red, somewhat puffy eyes.
    -Slight unsteadiness of the fingers.
    -A slight "3D" feel when looking at images on a screen (not necessarily a bad thing).

As someone mentioned earlier, the key is to start slow. At this point I can definitely recommend it in moderation. I'll need to check back with updates on higher amounts if/when it happens.

Thanks for all of the constructive input

6. I fuckin' hate booze. It's a dirty high in the sense that you're basically putting a non-lethal dose of a potentially lethal substance into your body. Alcohol is poison. Hangovers suck as well. Why punish yourself for an entire day just for a few hours of feeling good? Getting drunk is like kicking your own ass from the inside out. Also, the stupid shit people say/do when they're drunk....ugh.

Weed on the other hand comes with little to no consequences and the high is much more productive and enjoyable. I wouldn't recommend driving stoned, but as far as retention of your faculties, you're not gonna go looking for a fight or do stupid things when you're stoned. It's much different than drinking. New stoners can get a weed hangover of sorts, but it's nothing more than a slight brain fog the following day...A far cry from vomiting, wrenching dry heaves, or fiery diarrhea and a throbbing headache.

7. I know this is an old thread but wanted to share my experience. I am in my 50s and used to smoke in the 80s and 90s. I quit in the 90s.

I continued to drink but realized this year I was beginning to like the drink a little to much. I normally don't drink at all during the week, but between Friday and Sunday I could literally put away between 15 to 20 drinks. In addition to damaging liver and other organs, it is total empty calories and and helped me to put on an extra 60 or pounds over the past 15 years.

So, in August I decided to give pot another try as a substitute for alcohol to at least reduce my alcohol consumption. So far so good. Over to past 4 weekends I have been averaging 2 to 3 drinks per day between Friday to Sunday. I fell off the wagon one day and had six drinks when I was went to two parties the same day. The key for me is to have some weed before that first drink and I'm okay.

I use mainly a vape and I also made a tincture that I mix with juice. Which keeps me going 5 to 6 hours. When I vape I normally don't take more than 4 puffs. Also, after I vape, I drink a no alcohol beer first, then a regular beer, usually IPA after. This helps to keep alcohol consumption down.

So far I feel a lot better. No hangovers and I lost 5 pounds in the last month and have more energy for exercise and activities. My goal is to get to the point where it is rare if ever that I have more than 2 drinks in a day.

One last thing, people say you get the extreme munchies after pot. That hasn't been my experience (I use sunset sherbet-maybe it's the strain?) However, I noticed that when I drink I noticed I eat a lot more, I call it the drunk munchies. It's even worse the day after drinking, maybe it's the dehydration?

Anyway, for me so far so good - I feel much better.

8. Almost everything you said echoes my own experience except the weekend binge drinking... well, did some of that too up to 8 yrs ago or so with some guys i hung with. What i find is that if i have enough cannabis in my system then the tolerance for beer or booze drops way down like maybe to about 1/3 of what it would be if i had not vaped in a day or 2.

i like a drink or 3 with dinner and rarely can have a drink or even a beer without munching on chips, salsa, guacamole or similar which is why i prefer to drink with meals. Everyone is different but i'm a believer that if you keep some THC in your system you will not be able to hold as much alcohol... now there could be a point where you build up tolerance to the booze and can be stoned and drunk at the same time but... i don't think either of us wants or needs to go there.... some do mind you so everyone needs to be on guard against it... be aware it happens to those denying extreme repressed mental or emotional pain, they need more and more escape and denial by chemical means escapism...

9. Amen. I like to drink while I cook, like the apron that says "I like cooking with wine, sometimes some even goes in the food." Lol. Now, not as much.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ...and when listening to live music. I am also a guitarist formerly played in bands and I find it very entertaing to listen to a good live band after using weed compared to drinking. The music clarity and awareness of the different instruments stand out much more than when drinking. An added bonus is you don't have to run to the men's room 3 Times during the show.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Booze and weed fill different slots for me. It sure could help an alcoholic stay clean but even that requires some initiative.
    Alcohol shuts my brain down while weed makes it play on a new scale.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Willpower will be the make or breaker. I think weed could help. Can't rely on it solely

14. I drank pretty much everyday 6 months ago get home from work larger or wine every night now since starting smoking I haven’t touched a drop feel loads better weed much nicer

• Like Like x 1