Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Is replacing alcohol with pot possible?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by RookOR, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Pot newbie here. Moderate drinker. I'm curious if it's feasible to replace alcohol with pot and get comparable buzzes. One thing I do NOT want to do is hallucinate or be non-functioning. Looking for strains that make you feel good, similar to the effects you get with a drink or two. Is that possible? If so, any suggestions? I live in Oregon so I would have access to purchasing at a dispensary.

Thanks

2. Why don't you just give it a try? Go to the dispensary and ask them this very question.

3. I decided to start getting stoned at the weekend instead of drinking i guess it worked although i smoke everyday

4. ^^^ Testimony. You can't drink everyday and be functional. Not to mention alcohol is the worse to get addicted too.

Weed will knock you on your ass, maybe the first time around, and definitely the 2nd time. It's a better alternative to drinking but everyone is different, you may react differently to it. But like I said, ask at the dispensary, they know their inventory better than we do

5. It's possible, but it just depends on you really. I like alcohol, but i like weed way better, i can drive and go to work feeling nice without being intoxicated, but i have a tolerance. I know some people that can't even go out in public when they are high lol. You gotta take it easy with weed if all you're used to is booze though, because it can give you anxiety and paranoia, where alcohol is like liquid courage lol.

6. Thanks for the replies. I absolutely will go in and talk to them. I just like to do my research so I know a little more (than nothing) about what I'm possibly looking for. Figured this is a great place to get opinions and pick some brains.

7. op lives in Oregon, can buy alcohol, and has no idea what pot does to people...hmm...that must be one big rock you've been living under for 2 decades.

8. Start out slow is how I did it. Take a few puffs and get comfortable wait a few minutes and do some more if you want. I started smoking again after 35 long years, so the new stuff was a ball buster compared to what I used to do. I don't like to get drunk but I do love a good buzz. If you want to remain functional just don't do too much. New strains and new types just be cautious until you figure it out. Some strains are really heavy hitters and by new types I mean kief covered nugs and hash neither of which I've tried until recently. Both are the shit.

9. Out of curiosity, looking at one of the local dispensaries' inventory, golden pineapple and quantum kush sound appealing. Any recommendations for what I should stay away from if I don't want to hallucinate?

10. Cannabis won't make you hallucinate. But if you don't want the bud going to your head look for an indica dominant strain. Those will make you feel really relaxed but your mind will stay fairly clear. Sativa dominant strains will go straight to your head and while you will not hallucinate, you might overthink yourself into a bit of a mess haha.

These are good things to talk about with folks at the dispensary; of course since I have never even been close to the west coast or a place with any form of legal cannabis (minus CBD oil) I have never actually been to a real dispensary so I can't say for sure how knowledgeable the employees are.

11. Just smoke less of whatever you get. If you like a couch lock relaxing feeling then try indica if you want energy and have your mind engaged then try a Sativa (some get my heart thumping for a few minutes but in a good way)

To be honest I will pretty much smoke anything because they all get you high. Ask the budtender they will steer you in the right direction. I do have faves but what I like and what you can get are prob two different things.

Look up any strains on leafly.com or just use the google. Lots of info on strains there. I usually buy a Gram on new strains 2 or 3 at a time then smoke one type a day at first. Do not smoke the entire gram though at first. That's way too much. One other thing is do not buy prerolled Js. I'll take the free ones but normally prerolled Js are junk they couldn't sell otherwise.

12. comparable buzzes, no. weed will not bring you down. it's not the properties of the plant, it's what you consume.

13. It's about how much you smoke, not smoking in the first place. If you wouldn't feel compelled to drink a fifth of liquor at once, you can probably find a good, workable level for yourself with smoking. But if you overdo things, yeah, you'll be non-functional. Just like learning how alcohol affects you, it'll take a bit to figure out how weed affects you.

I very rarely drink anymore, I find smoking to be a lot easier on me.

14. Yup. I pass off substances yearly but always go back to weed. Cigs for a while, beer next, then alcohol, then back to weed. By no means an addict as I've taken numerous breaks, just love that altered conscious for achieving better flow

15. It may depend on body type and personality type A or B too. I'm not a drinker, but then again I've never been able to even chug a soda in a can. Weed every day. [​IMG]

16. #16 Orthanc, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2015
    Replacing alcohol with pot is a very wise choice, just be smart with it that's all. I myself am an alcoholic (quit drinking September 2014), and have done hard drugs too. Cannabis is better for your mind & body, and is a different & much better high. Stick with cannabis & say no to alcohol and hard drugs! Smoke up kid.

17. Yes pot

Blue dream
    Kush

18. I know you said you're a moderate drinker, but just in case some alcoholics read this thread: Weed will not help you safely detox!!! Now, it may help with some of the detox symptoms, but it won't replace monitored benzodiazepines for getting you safely through the withdrawals. If you need to detox from alcohol, seek professional help with that for sure. I know the movies make heroin detox look like the most dangerous thing ever, but truthfully, it doesn't hold a candle to alcohol.

19. Cannabis works well for me as a substitute for alcohol. Keeps my mind entertained, which both weed and beer do. I could put a 6 pack of 8% IPA to bed every night without too much of a problem so ya, I've been taking a break with my friend cannabutter shortbread.

20. why are you always acting like such a dick on here? lol i swear every time i see you post you are trying to call someone out for no reason.

you know a lot of people dont know jack shit about weed or weed culture right? so he wants to know if he can get a feeling similar to an alcohol buzz. wowwowowowoww how dare he. lets nail him to the cross now.