Is pot smoking a sin?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by BrAiNsTeW, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Priests can sin too. I'm just going by what I've been told constantly for the past 12 years by multiple Catholic teachers.

2. if you couldnt sin, it wouldnt be freewill.

3. i don't know if getting drunk or high dooms a person to hell, but anyone who has lied has broken one of the ten commandments, and the penalty for breaking God's law is death. since we've all lied at some point in our lives (those of you who say i haven't - that's another one), we're all fated to go to hell.

fortunately, there is One who never sinned, and death has no hold on Him. He paid the price for our sins, and if we turn to Him, He will save us from our fate.

i conceptualize it various ways. it's like your buddy who gets a backstage pass to a kickass rock concert. he can get backstage, and he can take you with him, but if you try to get in on your own, the bouncers will kick you to the curb. you can't get in on your own.

another conceptualization is having a judge for an adoptive father and the judge's son as a lawyer for best friend. if we were to get stopped by a cop for speeding, by law we deserve the penalty. however, our adopted brother, the lawyer, pays our fine for us, and our judge father lets us go since the penalty was paid.

when we turn to Jesus and come to a saving relationship with Him, we're now adopted into God's family. God is the judge. we humans break God's law every day and deserve the penalty for it. our advocate and redeemer Jesus paid our penalty for us by dying for our sins. we don't have to accept the payment. no one said that. you have free choice to die for your sins, but death and hell won't let you go because they have something to hold you on.

4. So if we tell Jesus we love him, and bring him a dime bag, we get into heaven? If it's dank enough? Or does he forgive us our schwag, as we forgive those who schwag against us?

5. god put weed on this earth for us to smoke, not for us to look at. plus im catholic, god forgives every sin you commit. im not a big religous freak but thats what i heard, lol. toke up!!!

6. exactly. Jesus already paid for all our sins, including future ones. not to say smoking weed is a sin; i don't know, i'm not God. the bible doesn't specifically mention weed (i've read that bit about kaneh-bosom before, so who knows), although being sober-minded seems to be advisable.

then i usually feel more clear-headed when i'm stoned, so go figure. i think it's the kali mist; supposed to be a heady high.

7. LOL *must spread rep around before giving more to medicine al*

Forgive those who shwag against us... LOL :D

Deliver us from the boo,

For thine is the dankness, the stickity, and the stankity

The funk

amen

We should come up with a Stoner's Prayer! LOL

8. And Jesus, upon high ground, held nigh a nugget of the dankest strain. The Lord did grin and spoke, "Feast, my children. Thou shalt breathe holy smoke and make merriment with thine neighbor. This gift, I bequeth unto the Earth." With divine might, the Lord drew a monster rip from the most sacred of water-pipes, which He held for the passing of a century. And the Lord did exhale from the deep bowels of His bosom; and so came forth the winds of the Earth. Beholding his work, the Lord laughed like thunder and following was the most holy of munchies. (Genesis 2:34)

I hope this clears things up.

9. Okay this is the way I see it. If smoking brings you closer to God, the divine, allah, whatever you want to call it then no, it is not a sin. However, if through smoking you distance yourself from that energy then yes. As for trying to find a yes or no answer through the bible, that makes no sense whatsoever. The bible was written as a guide to spirituality and a medium through which people could study and begin to live their lives as Jesus did. It was not meant to dictate every aspect of our lives, but rather to inspire and reveal one path to finding God. Finally, you will never find an answer to your question in a book or from someone else. Look inside yourself and really ask whether or not smoking is helping you achieve the infinite potential within yourself. Good luck :)

10. dude, if ya looking for a christain take on sin, keep away from the 'religous do righters' "Is pot smoking a sin?" :confused:
    According to the good book, there are ten comandments. (not including the final one Jesus gave about love), do any of them say "thou shall not smoke pot?!"

MJ is a Etheogen. Greek word meaning Etheos - 'god within' and Genesthe meaning 'to generate'. Hence to 'generate god within'.

Want some bible veres :rolleyes:(which is a brilliant book, by the way) to back ya up?

According to scholars, the etymology of the word 'cannabis' and similar terms in all languages of the Near East may be traced to the Hebrew "quanch bosm". That is one of the herbs God commands Moses to include in his preparation of sacred anointing perfume in Exodus 30:23 The term also appears in Isaiah 43:24, Jeremiah 6:20, Ezekiel 27:19 and song of songs 4:14 and there are lots more.

It's a herb. no more, no different than rosemary, thyme, sage (whish is also an etheogen) and the herb is good, it's ALL good according to God in Genisis 1:11

Don't worry, be happy:smoke:

11. "and i will raise up for them a plant of renown, and they shall be no more consumed with hunger in the land, neither bear the shame of the heathen any more." -ezekiel 34:4-5

very well said, shamanka. :) god's intention when he created herb was that those who know the truth use it for thanksgiving..."remember: every creature of god is good, and nothing to be refuse if it be recieved with thanksgiving...if thou put the brethren in rememberence of these things, thou shalt be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished up in the words of faith and of good doctrine." -paul: 1 Timothy 4:4-6

its not a matter of smoking herb, but doing so without faith and knowledge of the truth. god is the epitome of moral perfection, he will not be angry for smoking herb, but doing so without a relationship with him. :)

12. ^^^
    o boy!!

im not gonna touch this one with a 10 foot pole

13. not only that, I think there is also a part somewhere in the bible which talks about a healing herb of some sort that is believed to be a reference marijuana... sorry but I don't know the exact spot, I've never had enough religious education to have memorized the text. not hard to believe considering that marijuana is relatively common in the middle east and india

14. damn dood i did read it,,, thats the first time ive opened the bible in years,,,,

but theres a even better quote in thier somewhere,,,, i seen it on a thread,,,, it goes like this?

god put all plants on this earth for man to appreciate and consume,,,

im smoking it sin or not,,,,, :D