Is pot smoking a sin?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by BrAiNsTeW, Jul 4, 2007.

1. the harm it has on your body is the only thing i could see as sinfull. but they do have vaporizers and pot brownies.

2. "And the earth brought forth grass and herb yielding seed after its kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good. (Genesis 1:12)

God said, "Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree in which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat. And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to everything that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so." And God saw everything that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day. "(Gen. 1:29-31)

also, if im not mistaken, the human brain has 'cannabis receptors'. now if this isnt an indication that god wanted us to experience what ganja has to offer, i dont know what is! ;):wave:

3. LMAO!!! [​IMG]

4. its funny because its true.

5. Beautifully said

I'm really feelin this part...

6. Love it, I'm definately leaning towards it not being innately a sin, but more a thing that would have to due with how it is used and why.

7. If its a sin, then its that much more enjoyable. :D

8. How dare you have a thirst for knowledge!

9. should we truly govern ourselves regardless of whether something written in a book says so?
    regardless of whether there is a God or not, at the moment this is what I have and believe to ever have, so I should spend it how I want to. We're just star stuff contemplating star stuff. If this isn't it and I'm to go to hell, I'll still be happy to know I spent my immortal soul enjoying everything I wanted and was able to do.

Live it up.

10. if so then i am going to hell :(

but at least my brothers will be there :)

11. So you would want an answer that works within a system that may or may not be true.:poke:

12. that's why it's called a "point of view" and not a "point of fact".;)

13. I will answer this question from a Jewish viewpoint.

Judaism teaches us that the law of the land that we live in is the law, and according to this pot smoking would be a sin.

However, after talking about it with my friend who smokes a whole lot of pot and is a very religious observant jew (black hatter) he said that pot is natural and thus god created it. And if god created it then it has a purpose... to smoke.

I guess it really depends on your mindset.

14. So then did god create castor plant to have us kill each other?

15. I know at least the accepted Catholic answer is that it is a sin because you're supposed to treat your body like a temple and putting drugs into your body apparently isn't doing such. We all know that weed is harmless, but that doesn't stop the overwhelming majority from believing that it is.

16. you can't use the "if you feel guilty, it's a sin" logic because sociopaths have no guilt when they murder people, and murder is definitely a sin.

sin isn't subjective; you either break God's law or you obey it. it doesn't matter how you feel about it. try using that logic when you get a speeding ticket. speeder: "i don't feel like speeding is a crime." police: "here's your ticket."

God gave us the law - the 10 commandments. exodus 20 lists these:

1. have no other gods before Me
    2. do not make any graven image and worship it
    3. do not take the name of the Lord in vain
    4. remember the sabbath and keep it holy
    5. honor your father and mother
    6. do not kill
    7. do not commit adultery
    8. do not steal
    9. do not bear false witness against your neighbor
    10. do not covet

in matthew 22, Jesus simplifies the law into two commandments:

1. love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and mind
    2. love your neighbor as yourself

all the law hangs on these two commandments. i don't see a specific law that says smoking weed is a sin. however, the apostle paul describes the works of the flesh versus the works of the Holy Spirit. the works of the flesh are:

- Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like (getting high/stoned is like drunkenness)

in galatians 5, paul says they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. a child of God inherits the kingdom of God. the works of the Holy Spirit are:

- love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance

you probably want a straight "yes/no" answer. it depends on how you've elevated weed. if weed is the most important thing in your life, then it has become your god, and that's a sin. if it's a minor thing to you, then it's probably not a sin.

17. I'm sure the castor oil plant has a much better purpose then to kill people.

18. indeed I can, for myself and for normal people. there are exceptions to every rule.

19. How can that be true? I'm almost positive i've seen priests smoking cigareetes. IDK, haven't been to church in about 7 years.

20. I really like this,everything you stated is everything I stand for...

Funk outta here,so your telling me if you get drunk off of meditation excessively your going to hell.

If your doing something that makes you happy I see nothing wrong with it,and like a you said a child of god weed tends to bring out your childish thoughts....Am I right....