Is new age just another religion?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by MrVoorhees, Jun 21, 2011.

1. After reading the meditation thread here and a couple other threads about astral projection I've had my curiosity piqued.

But as I'm reading I recognize certain patterns similar to the dogma of religion.

I have bad associations with new age; a crazy mother who jumped from one new age trend to the next. At the same time I recognize certain universal truths and similarities.

Fuck. I dont know. :confused:

2. yea people think meditation is some spiritual thing, but its not

if meditation was real, it would exist inside science

3. I'm sure there are members of new age who are dogmatic to a degree, as this is human nature. However, there is no need to follow any dogma, or anything at all specifically. It's all about having an open mind, and being open to all things, even NEW things, and seeing what is consistent with you and integrating what is beneficial for you.

4. Cant tell if you're serious..

5. im dead serious

if meditation is a real thing, that actually works, then it is something that has scientific grounds, not some supernature spiritual awareness

6. Meditate on This: Buddhist Tradition Thickens Parts of the Brain | LiveScience

I dont believe it is supernatural, I think I misunderstood your post. I just think it is a real thing that can help you be aware spiritually. I definitely think it has scientific grounds though, not some alternate plain of untestable magicness. I thought you were saying that it was entirely fake or something, my bad.

7. Armchair critics make me lol.

8. #8 kojopolis, Jun 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2011
    depends

if your a smug hippie that doesn't understand the concept of healthy skepticism and science and believes 'chanellings' are real and not just a far out form of creativity and thinks consumerism is bad on all levels, to the point where you question why they don't live in the jungle, or on the streets, and if you go off saying 'we're all one' without even understanding the significance of the idea, then yeah
    i think any form of belief system can be raped by people who are psychologically underdeveloped and damaged

then yeah

9. #9 1Trismegistus1, Jun 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2011

LMAO

Let me google that for you.

Brain waves and meditation

The Science of Meditation | Psychology Today

Science Explores Meditation's Effect on the Brain : NPR

YOu know, if meditation was real them there scientists would be studying it...

And this is why I don't believe atheists who claim to have come to their own conclusions through research. Obviously you know nothing about meditation other than your own little minded opinions you've made up from absolutely nothing but the umption on your ass.

edit: to the OP, stay away from New Age stuff, that's my advice.

If you want some more legitimate sources of info thats not coated in flowers and candy and 100 watt bulbs for added light with a dash of love on top, I'll gladly give you quite the list of books to read.

10. Are you aware of what meditation is or are you posting just for the sake of it?

11. This guy's legit. http://forum.grasscity.com/spirituality-philosophy/602352-life-death-supposed-unknowable.html
    Read his books!

12. I would encourage you to read that thread as well, even though dude tries to act like I was defeated in debate or something with it lol.