Is mylar just 'mylar?'

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by cinnamonbun, Apr 19, 2022.

1. I'm doing my first setup and I'm going to cover my closet in mylar film. I have found this mylar but I'm a little concerned with the price. Is it legit? Or do I need to spend more on this stuff?

Also. The growlight I'm looking to purchase is rated for a grow area of 2x4. My closet space has more than enough space to accommodate the length, the width I'm a bit unsure of though.. It's roughly 29inches wide, so just a bit over 2 feet. Do I need to fit the mylar enclosure to be specifically 2 feet wide, or can I just arrange my plant pots to be as close to two feet together as possible?

2. Reflected light is subject to the inverse square lighting rule. Things twice as far away get a 1/4 the light. You could paint the walls black and get about the same results.
    upload_2022-4-19_15-57-33.png
    3 times as far away get 1/9th the light intensity.

BNW

3. So in other words, I need to shore my mylar enclosure in by five inches?

Can you tell me if the mylar I linked is high quality? Or do I need better mylar?

4. It looks ok to me. Mine came on a roll 3 feet wide from the local hydro shop. Think I still have most of the roll left.:) And I did 2 grow boxes and part of the grow shed off of it.

BNW

5. If your closet walls are flat white you don't really need mylar.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. i agree with ed,flat white is better and even better if the walls are textured
    mylar and aluminum foil create hot spots and burn your plants
    your best bet in my opinion is flat white, it works best and if you have to squezze your plants in there it dont burn from reflection ,also in my own opinion keeps your room cooler , it did in a 4 ft by 10ft long and 8ft tall closet i used

7. No you dont need to shore your space. Just keep the plants under the light.
    You could buy a roll of mylar, probably easier to deal with than large sheets which will have fold creases all over it.
    Ive never had a plant burn from reflected light.