is my plant root bound?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by elliotgreen, Feb 6, 2018.

1. i am having some issues determining what is wrong with my plant. Or if there is even anything wrong with it, or im just being paranoid.
    It usually drys up every 3 days. When i water it, it looks wilted and doesn't seem to grow for a good day. Then it will explode with growth for a day. Then the next day it will dry up and be all stunted again. It has been in veg for around 2 months now and im wondering if its out growing its pot. When i poke my finger in to check soil moisture, it is just full of root and i cant even get my finger in there.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. What size pot?

3. i dont have a clue

4. I'd vote on a more compact but spacious container; a 5 gal square tote with copious drainage holes resting in another shallow one to catch runoff would give you some wiggle room. I run 2 gal containers inside of 2 gal buckets to the same effect during veg like these; then to 5 gal buckets for short hours.
    IMG_20180206_091232.jpg IMG_20180205_230439.jpg

5. No rough guess? Can't tell by the pic. It could be rootbound if it's a 3 gal pot. If it's a 10, maybe not.. but you did only fill the pot about 2/3 - 3/4.

6. it looks around 3 gal and yeah the soil goes up to that first ring around the pot. My biggest problem with upping the pot size is i just dont have the height for a taller pot. its a squeeze as it is.

7. Well, if your thinking it's about 3, you only have about 2 gal soil in there. I'd guess that they are rootbound

8. do you think if i put it in the same size pot but then filled it up and tiny bit below the rim. I would have enough soil to take me through flower?

9. I've found they're more durable than you'd imagine. Pretty clumsy handling during my routine upgrades will find the entire root ball will collapse but they don't seem to suffer the experience with any ill humor. The five gal tote I mentioned has less height than a 5 gal bucket and would suit your purpose better.

10. The problem is that the lower portion of the pot is rootbound. What I would do, is use a get a 5 gal fabric pot and transplant into that. It is probably the same height of your pot. If you can't lift the plant out of your pot because of the net, height restrictions etc, and you don't have any other options, you should be able to slide the fabric pot under the other pot, remove drip tray first if you can, cut away old pot carefully and fill the fabric pot with fresh soil. I like fabric pots because the plant doesn't get rootbound. The fabric pot allows the roots to grow through and the light kills the root tips. It's called air pruning.

11. tomorrow im going to get it out the pot and have a look to see if its definitely root bound. There are no roots coming out the bottom of pot so im not 100% sure it is. I will post some pictures tomorrow.