Is my plant getting too much water?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by tok3master, Dec 28, 2011.

1. I started out watering my Super Lemon Haze plant about half of a red solo cup. then Half of a 16.9 fl oz aquafina water bottle every 2 days and now its drinking a whole bottle a day. My soil is canadian Peat moss pre-mixed with perliite. the soil is very dry everyday. Is this my soil or is it ok for my plant to be taking in this much water? My plant doesn't get that hot so its not evaporating. Its right next to my heating duct which is running at about 70-73 and inside the grow area ranges anywhere between 73-78. Its been closer to 75 lately as I opened the room partially (its a custom box) to intake some new air, get rid of humidity and heat. I have 4 cfl 26 watts and a single flourscent tube. The cfls are getting about 1750 lumens each and the flourscent is getting a little over 2000 lumens on a single mother plant. this makes a little over 9000 lumens on a single plant. I have more cfls but I just don't have them on, They are for the cuttings i'm going to take off her. the plant isn't slowing down its growing pretty fast its only 17 days old. I'm using lst because of limited room. so basically is it ok for my plant to be intaking this much water if i'm having good results? I'm kind of used to really crappy genetics on the weed I used to grow. But Since I've got this plant it seems that I wont go back to growing reg EVER. Sorry for no pics yet. my camera wont tranfer them to my computer >.> I just spent 20 minutes getting good shots and can't even post them : (.

any help would be appreciated.

:smoke:

thanks

2. Im not sure about the watering, if its dry 1-2 inches down, it should be watered....

but im lost

CFL = florescent.... what are you saying here? hahahaha

3. I had 4 cfl bulbs and a single t5 on. I turned off the single t5, its more for flowering and vegging my cuttings. But I still have 4 cfl 26 watt bulbs on so I cut down to about 7000 lumens, I have more cfl's but I need the plant to get bigger before I need to put more bulbs on it. its not quite 3 weeks old yet. ya the soil is dry 1-2 inches down. the plant looks great I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overwatering it.

I refer to t5's as flourscent and cfl's to Compact flourscents or cfl's.

4. well if its not broke why fix it.seems to me your doin just fine.but just cos its dry on top dosent mean its dry all the way through.try sticking your finger down about 2 inch if dry water.hope this helps and keep toking on the spliffs lol.

5. Hey there!

An easy way to know when to water..

First water heavily until you see some run off and when lifting the pot the plant feels heavy.. Then just don't water again until you lift her up and she feels light.. You shouldn't let her dry out so much that she wilts, but you don't want the roots constantly wet or rot may develop.. :wave:

6. #6 tok3master, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2011

awesome idea, My grow box is kinda limiting as far as space, its long and wide enough just not very tall. I'm using lst and I will be topping my Mother Plant (the one i'm currently growing.) but If anyone has a simple solution to cloning I would like to hear them. I have some Canadian peat moss mixed with vermaculite and perlite, I also have some old rock wool cubes, and some clonning hormone. If possible I would like to clone directly into the Peat moss soil. does anyone have a simple solution to this? I've read a lot about cloning on this forum but I have never actually cloned any plants.

This is what I know to do

cut a part off of the plant ( Im guessing the limbs that would produce bud later in flowering.

put into a bowl of water and rooting hormone, Keep in there for a while and cut an angle at the end of the limb. Also cut off some leaves, leaving some at the end (or the top of the plant)

then stick into the dirt and water decently, and continue to keep high humidity in the room.

some questions -

how long should I veg the clones?
    how long should i keep them in the water and hormone solution?
    how long should I keep the higher humidity?
    Did I miss anything in the steps above?
    how often do clones die?
    after cloning how long should I wait to feed them fertilizer??

I'm pretty nervous about clonning as I have never done it and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

7. #7 MIDLIFE, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2011
    good luck
    Middy

8. whats the dome? Can I make one? sorry I read some forums on cloning but I'm not sure about some details.

9. its proper name is a propagator any garden centre will sell them.basicaly its a tray with sides and a plastic lid mate which should have a slider to let air in.but keep it closed.i tend to lift my lid every couple of days and spray the inside of the lid to get moisture if needed.from what ive read on here cloning should take about 1- 2 weeks.personaly i would leave them for 2 weeks before transplanting.hope this helps mate keep toking on them spliffs.

10. is there anyway to make one? I'm really low on cash.

11. If you are in soil for cloning I just use a solocup of soil, lunch baggie, and a hair bow or rubberband to secure the baggie..

12. Cut the clone just below a node at 45 deg and dip in your cloning hormone then insert into pre soaked rockwool cubes (pre soak in a light B vitamin solution).

A propagation tray and dome is quite inexpensive and is necessary. When you have all your clones in the tray. mist the inside of the dome and cover the clones and place under a light source ( i use a 4' florescent light) try to find a spot that the temp remains in the high 70s to leave the tray.

You will see the dome traps humidity within it and this is critical for them. they will take some moisture from the rockwool but the leaves absorb moisture from the atmosphere in the dome. I leave them alone for at least a week unless I feel the cubes are getting dry by feeling the weight of the tray. If they are getting light then pick up the insert in the tray and lower it into something that is large enough to hold water that the insert fits into to re hydrate the cubes.

At day 7 I check for root growth on the bottom of the cubes. As soon as there are multiple roots poking out of the cubes it is time to transplant. Give them a lots of plain water and light nutes after a few days.

I usually have 100% success with this method

13. I have also used throw away plastic cups with bubble wrap round them.you could even make one by using bamboo canes.make the frame as big as you want lets say 18 inch long and 12inch high then wrap bubble wrap round it.all depends on how many cuttings you have or want,like i said you can make it as high and long as you need to.If i make one i turn a couple of plant pots over and put strip lights resting on them and slide my plants underneath.then i check mine every 2-3 days just to check they are ok.hope this helps good luck mate.

14. any large clear plastic container will work , just cut the top off and turn it upside down over your cuttings, to keep humidity UP just KEEP misting the inside of the dome until you can see roots.
    everybody has a diferent way of doing things, just listen to them all and do what works for you.
    Middy

15. thanks man, Ive been trying to figure this out, and I've been kinda worried. I only have one mother plant and its my first time cloning. Thanks for giving some good advice on my situation. If I had the money I would get a propagation tray and dome but I dont have the money for it. so I'm going to be making my own Dome. thanks again.