is my mum being selfish? or am i a dick for thinking that?

Discussion in 'General' started by thezool, Feb 10, 2012.

1. this is like a follow on to my other thread "is my friend a dick? or is it me". i just love bitching about people but i'm too much of a pussy to do it IRL. this time it's my mother's turn. :D i'm 21 btw, i'm just a very awkward/shy person so i don't have many friends... yes i hang out with my dad. also i should say i love my mum and this isn't me being a little prick just bitching about her... well i guess it is, but whatever.

alright so pretty much every friday (until now) me and my dad would go to the pub to have a few ales. he comes home early and i finish work early so it's a good time to go and chill with him. it's the only real time i talk to him and i always enjoy it, and i know he does too.

but recently my mum has decided that she doesn't like to come home on a friday to an empty house. bearing in mind this is the 1 day she has to, every other day we're both home. and me and my dad don't get drunk, we have 3 pints maximum so we're jolly at most. it's not like she gets back and we're abusive to her and pissing in the wardrobes etc.

my dad is fairly subservient, he does what he's told. so now, me and my dad never go to the pub anymore on a friday. which sucks.

isn't this all a bit selfish of my mum? i dunno whether to say anything to her about it. orrr am i an arse for being the person i am and not having friends to hang out with on a friday instead?

2. She sounds kinda selfish to me. 6/7 days shouldn't hurt her though, sounds crazy.

3. Do you do anything like that with your mom? Maybe she's just jealous/resentful that you have a special time planned away for your dad, but not her?

4. go to the bar for some man time i say.

5. maybe shes jelly

6. with things like this, i always try to think "what am i missing?". usually when you jump to a conclusion like someone being selfish, you're missing something. and i feel like you've just pointed out what i was missing, so thanks. even though stopping mine and my dad's interaction out of jealousy is selfish... but it's understandably so, i suppose.

true, i don't do anything with my mum like that. dunno what we could do though. :confused:

7. I'd say just talk to her and ask her what she wants

8. Yeah I'd say she's being a bit selfish , your hanging out with your dad !

9. [quote name='"thezool"']this is like a follow on to my other thread "is my friend a dick? or is it me". i just love bitching about people but i'm too much of a pussy to do it IRL. this time it's my mother's turn. :D i'm 21 btw, i'm just a very awkward/shy person so i don't have many friends... yes i hang out with my dad. also i should say i love my mum and this isn't me being a little prick just bitching about her... well i guess it is, but whatever.

alright so pretty much every friday (until now) me and my dad would go to the pub to have a few ales. he comes home early and i finish work early so it's a good time to go and chill with him. it's the only real time i talk to him and i always enjoy it, and i know he does too.

but recently my mum has decided that she doesn't like to come home on a friday to an empty house. bearing in mind this is the 1 day she has to, every other day we're both home. and me and my dad don't get drunk, we have 3 pints maximum so we're jolly at most. it's not like she gets back and we're abusive to her and pissing in the wardrobes etc.

my dad is fairly subservient, he does what he's told. so now, me and my dad never go to the pub anymore on a friday. which sucks.

isn't this all a bit selfish of my mum? i dunno whether to say anything to her about it. orrr am i an arse for being the person i am and not having friends to hang out with on a friday instead?[/quote]

Bring the pub to your house! Try to invite your mom haha

10. she comes with us some of the time. but i think she notices that the atmosphere changes when she's there. it's like me and my dad it's more of a "mans'" atmosphere, if you know what i mean... lol. when my mum comes it's a bit different. i don't really feel that way but they both act different when it's all 3 of us.

11. Sounds like she's hurt by being excluded. Does she know how much that time means to you and your dad? Like, does she think it's just about the drinking, or does she know that it's more about the togetherness aspect?

12. not sure really. sounds to me like i should bring it up with her!

13. As a representative of the Ovaries Club, I can honestly tell you that no, you're not being selfish for thinking your mom is selfish.

We women get really stupid ideas sometimes, based solely on our emotions, rather than actual reason. There's nothing wrong with what you and your dad were doing - as the men of the house, you need that bonding time together.

14. Probably. Best handle the issue with kid gloves. Mothers are a sensitive breed.

15. good to have a female perspective. thanks. :D

oh god tell me about it! :rolleyes:

edit: ironlungs why did you delete your comment? i read it and there was nothin wrong with it D:

16. OP is it too much of a pussy to bitch IRL.
    You're an insecure awkward little twat, I'd be mad at my mom for that too.
    Just being a dick. Your dad sounds like he's as much of a pussy as you are.
    Just go and invite her up when she gets off. Have you never invited her?

17. lmao. i think it's the other way around, i'm as much of a pussy as he is. honestly i'm certain he could sue my mum for abuse. he never stands up for himself. much like me. :rolleyes: