Is my light to powerful?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by closetgrassman, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Hello guys! I have a 48" x 24" x 60" Grow Tent on the way. As well as a 600w HPS Ballast and bulb. Will this run too hot for this size grow tent? Would an easy fix be running a 400w in it? Thank you.:hello:

2. For a tent that shape, two lights seems like it would be better. Maybe 2x250w?

3. I run a 400w in a tent like that, just a foot taller. You can probably get away w/ the 600w just make sure to get a good fan and a cooled reflector.

About the tent shape, I've found that a cooltube gives me a nice rectangular light footprint that fits just right, also, it makes it easy to cool the light.

Best of luck dude let us know how it turns out.

4. okay cool thanks for the help dudes. The fan does have a cooler with it. And I will have a passive intake and a 6" fan sucking nasty gross air out. Will that be enough? Here is my out take fan. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/LED-Wholesalers-GYO2402-Hydroponic-Booster/dp/B003YFADW8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315360233&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: LED Wholesalers GYO2402 6-Inch 240 CFM Air Duct Inline Hydroponic Booster Fan: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

Also I will have some oscillating fans with in the tent aimed at the light and the plant stems. Intake will be on the bottom and out take will be on the top. Let me know if this sounds good :D

5. the light has a cooler with it*

6. That fan probably isn't enough.

7. for exhaust? what would be better for exhaust? also would knocking wattage down to 400watter do the trick?

8. Yeah you want a bigger fan for real. Look at the fan and filter combos at htgsupply.com and see what I'm saying.

9. how does this look? also how exactly would i have this rigged? obviously it would be my out take, I mean, do I have the fan sitting in the exhaust hole in tent and have it blow straight through filter which leads to duct that goes out of my attic? :D

10. That one will do the trick.

11. okay I am unaware of configuring it with the carbon filter how does that work?

12. Filter inside the tent hung up at the top. Filter attached to the fan with a hose clamp.
    other side of fan attached to flexible duct, other end of flexible duct goes to light hood, other end of light hood attached to flexible duct that exits tent through a port in the tent.
    Fan flow facing light hood.

13. that was a little hard to follow. I will try though, maybe you could re-explain it? This is the exact lighting unit I have on the way: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Cooled-Growing-Ballast-Reflector/dp/B002TNDCVK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1315366940&sr=8-3]Amazon.com: New 600 Watt HPS + MH Digital Grow Light W/ 6" Air Cooled Hood Plant Growing Light Lamp. Digital HPS MH Ballast + HPS Bulb + Air Cool Reflector + Timer + Pair Yoyo: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

14. Hang your light in the tent. Above the light, hang the fan. Attach a piece of ducting from the fan to the wall of the tent, and another piece from the light fixture to the fan. On the other side of the light fixture, use a piece of ducting to attach the filter. So now the air should come through the filter, through the light, through the fan and out of the top of the tent.

15. Okay I perfectly understand this rig, however my fan only has one side open for mounting of ducting.

16. Well maybe both sides of light are open I can't tell I don't have it yet. lol

17. Lemme see it.

18. Okay I think I understand what you are saying. This is what I drew up as I read your post. Let me know if this is what you mean? :D

[​IMG]

19. isn't the filter supposed to be the last place the air goes through as it exits?...for smell? not sure