Is my light to close? Bleaching?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Flunkie91, Mar 14, 2018.

1. I have a 1000 watt light about 10 inches away, the temps stay around 77° but I've noticed my leaves aren't as green as I would think they should be but this is my first grow, should I back the light off some??

Thanks for the help!!!!

Also I have a co2 setup coming, I'm using a tank system with a automated regulator that monitors the levels and puts co2 in as needed, I will have it installed in a few days, will that affect how far away to position the light?

Attached Files:

2. #2 ClassicT, Mar 14, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    Omg yes! Too close!

I keep my 1000w metal halide about 4 feet away when I first switch it over from flourecents, and I start it out at 25% strength, wait a week, till 50%, another week till 75%, then finally to the full 1000watts. During that time, I get it lowered to about 30 - 36” from the canopy, lowering it gradually over that time period. (*edited after being reminded by Gro_Darkstar about this!*)

Your co2 supplementation will allow the plant to use more of the light that is supplied, but they can still get too much light. I see people write that they keep their lights 12” away, but this sounds insane to me. I like about 30”, definitely not more than 24”. (Another shout out to Gro_Darkstar, he’s right, don’t bother with the co2 until you have temp and RH totally dialed in, and a better handle on the process in general)

3. What lighting are you running HID Led? If your running a 1K HID back off about 15 inches so there about 25 inches from the top of the plants. Led is totally different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. I'm using a HPS, I've backed it off pretty far, do y'all think I did any long term damage to the plants??

5. I don’t think you did any long term damage. With HID lighting you just need to control the heat a 1K gives off. 10 inches was a little close looks like heat stress, do you have a dimmable ballast if so dim the light to the lowest setting. It looks like the plant in the back has heat stress to if I’m seeing it right. What is your average temperatures and humidity?

6. 1000 watts on those tiny plants is definitely too much. Dim that light to like 250w and keep it like 30+ inches away.
    I’d skip the co2 till you have much more experience too. That’s an advanced technique that requires perfect environmental conditions and a sealed room.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Yes my ballast is dimmable, and the plants weren' seeing temps over 77 degrees and around 40 percent humidity. I read somewhere else that I should keep the light that close if I can keep temps down, but I learned my lesson....and I have the grow room pretty well sealed. The co2 system I have is an environental system that monitors the temp and humidity and will control my fans and humidifier and only injects a little co2 when the fans are off and when the lights are on, it's hopefully pretty well automated once I set it up. Could I hurt something just adding a little co2? I was just shooting for like 750 ppm?

8. The plants never saw temps over 77 degrees with the light that close tho....

• Like Like x 1
  9. Heat stress and light stress are different issues. You can have too much light even if heat is never a problem. Listen to your ladies - right now they are telling you they are getting sunburned!

10. You won’t hurt anything assuming it’s correct. It’s just 1 more thing to add to the possibilities of what is wrong if you do have an issue. Your temps will need to be adjusted. Your vpd will be different and thus different rh. The amount of nutes you need will change. The amount of actual water the plants drink will increase. But if that system you have does all that stuff automatically and your room is totally sealed you shouldn’t have to worry.

11. 77° is Ideal it’s Good your getting such low temps using Hps. In veg the the temps could be in the low to mid 80s without any ill effects. Your humidity on the other hand should be up to 50 to 70%.

How much did you pay for your CO2 kit? If you don’t mind me asking.