is my in line fan too big for my carbon filter?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by gaso22, Jan 27, 2014.

1. I have a 4" carbon filter with a 6" in linefan 435 C.F.M for a very small tent I have my mothers in..my question is..Is the suction strength of fan too much for my 4" carbon filter?

2. The filter's cfm should exceed the cfm of the inline fan

3. [quote name="vape2health" post="19417423" timestamp="1390857939"]The filter's cfm should exceed the cfm of the inline fan[/quote]If it doesn't what will happen? Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. From the Phresh filter website....
    \tQ: Can I put a higher CFM fan than what the filter list?A: Not recommended, the max CFM is rated on the filters. If you go over this amount it will not give the passing air enough "contact time" with the carbon and the filter will not be able to do its job as effectively. Further, it will diminish the life of your filter.

5. Get a dimmer and you can run your 6in inline fan slow enough for the filter. Cheaper than buying a new inline fan, and gives you the option to upgrade your filter should you some day decide to work in a bigger space.

6. [quote name="Tunga" post="19422437" timestamp="1390926120"]Get a dimmer and you can run your 6in inline fan slow enough for the filter. Cheaper than buying a new inline fan, and gives you the option to upgrade your filter should you some day decide to work in a bigger space.[/quote]Thanks for the info man, on my way to get me one Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. #7 Shiva Blaster, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2014
    This ^^^^^^^^^^.    It's always good to have a little too much fan and then put it on a speed controller.    It will keep things quieter, and let you regulate your airflow, temp and humidity somewhat.    You can idle your fan at low speed during early veg and gradually increase the airflow as the plants get bigger......works fantastic. 

Those speed controllers are only like $50, I don't know how i'd get by without one.   Gives you way more control.