Is my grow box big enough?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by PGherblover, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Please help!
    I live with my family so I need to be really stealthy. It's my first time so I have no idea how big my grow box needs to be. I was going to use cardboard but from what I've heard it's a bad idea. I found an old water dispenser that I thought would be perfect. It's 4ft high and has a 1ft diameter. I'm just going to grow one plant and want to be sure it will fit before I go buy fans and carbon air filters. Is this big enough?

Attached Files:

2. I'd be interested to see the buds that box can be capable of producing. What kind of lights do you plan on using?  You can prob grow obviously a thin plant but a plant regardless as long as you have proper light, growing medium, and ventilation.  

3. #3 waktoo, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
    Does your family know? If not, please show some respect for your family and find somewhere else to grow. The fact that you're trying to make it stealthy says to me that they do not know. Have you considered the legal ramifications affecting everyone in the home if you were to get caught by the law? Do you even know the laws regarding cultivation where you live?

Where are you going to put something like this in your house where no one will notice it, or try to use it?

Nice idea, though. It'd be one REALLY little plant! You won't yield much. I don't think it'll be worth your time and effort for the payoff. But I'm a big fan of ingenuity! Peace.

4. I second this.  You should NEVER grow in a place where everyone doesn't know what's going on.  You could be putting other people in jeopardy.  If they're your family and friends, you really should have more respect for them and their space.

5. #5 PGherblover, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2013
    I'm putting it in the storage/ furnace room. My dad knows anyways. The plant will be so small and well hidden, especially since the intake and exhaust/carbon filter noises will be completely covered by the roaring furnace. It's more of an experimental grow so I know a bit for when I move out and dedicate a full closet to it, because that will be more expensive and I don't want to waste money. I plan on using CFLs since I'm on a minimal budget. How much do you guys think the 4ft by 1ft plant will yield?

6. I also have the ability to use a cardboard box that's 4ft by 2ft by 1ft. All my friends say that cardboard is bad because the smell gets through the tin foil and cardboard, but I've read about other people having great odorless cardboard grow boxes. I'd rather not take the chance if the water dispenser is big enough.

7. Have you opened up the water thingy and had a look at the guts? I assume there is a bunch of shit inside that will need to be remove before you can grow in there.

I'd give the cardboard box a miss.

8. You're right, but nothing some man power and tools can't remove.

9. How hot does your furnace room get?

10. I made my box it was 5x2x2. I ended up with a fairly bushy plant. I would digest research your strains find out what grows what tall, remember you'll lost height from your bulbs so ok its 4ft tall but you only get 3ft of that then you got you pot and medium that gonna take height as well. You'll need a dwaff auto to get best results and one that doesn't branch you have got enough space assuming you limit the amount of stuff you put inside and what you mount outside. And you've got about a 2oz plant. But that is also assuming your lucky enough to get everything right. I've just done my very first run first I did 2 years of research and I still ended up with a few issues. I pull about 2 - 2 1/2oz wet when it drys ill get possible 1oz. Good luck in you endeavour.

Have a look at a Guy call doormouse his stealth grow will interest you.

Hope this helps bud

Sent from my HTC Desire using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. You only got about one oz from a 5x2x2 box?! That's nothing! I'm thinking of making a wood box now. I designed a 4x2x2 box that'll cost me about 50$ just for wood. With the fans, filter, fan controller etc, the project will cost me over a hundred bucks. My furnace room won't be too warm: I live in Montreal and it'll be cold in winter.

12. Same with most first grows. Some info was outdated some didn't work others did. Trail and error accidents but a big learning experience and one that I can proudly look back on and think although I fucked up here and there I still got some good smoke. And next time will be better.

Have you got a thermometer if so go put it where you want to grow and take readings 3-4 times a day over a week and see what they come out at.

13. #13 PGherblover, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2013
    Ok. But I think I've found a good grow box. It's 1.5ft by 1.5ft by 4ft. What temperature is needed? If I insulate the whole thing with foil and keep it closed, shouldnt it be fine? Here's a picture: sorry for the clutter. image.jpg

14. I aimed for about 80-83f area but you can go as low as about 76f but that's the temps around the plant itself.

15. Low to upper 70`s is about the ideal grow temp during lights on and about mid 60`s for lights off with a humidity range of 30-50%. Once you start to get into the 80`s growth will slow down a little bit and it slows down even more once you get into the 90`s on up while in veg.

16. The old Phototrons were about that size and would keep one HAPPY for sometime..........

17. I see those every now and then on craigslist around here well at least the older models. They still make them.

http://www.phototron.com/

18. Alright, I'll keep that in mind. I checked and the humidity of the closet I'm growing it in is 80% and the temperature is 65 degrees! How do I change this? Also, what I've finally decided to use is my water dispenser that's 4x1x1. If I use CFLs, will the temperature get hotter? Because its 65 in the summer and I wouldn't be surprised to see it be in the mid 50s in the winter since the room isn't heated. Maybe ill get a small heater for the box, but how much are they usually? Here's the picture of the closet/grow room I set up: image.jpg

I have my computer in the room because I'm on it all the time and if someone were to walk in, I would be between them and the plant.

19.  80% humidity your plants should look like there sweating. I`ve hit 77% humidity a few times on a few winter grows and there was condensation on the plants. You don't have the temp/humidity gauge set up near any water source do you?

20. Nope. It's in a storage room that's about 8ft by 5ft and that's completely surrounded by concrete. Hopefully it's faulty. I just set it up a few hours ago, so ill tell you what it reads tomorrow.